X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoida
    • Nov 2004

Just blew up my RA-971!

It would appear that my Rotel RA-971 MkII does not like electrostatic speakers. I was driving it pretty hard into a DIY ESL which it had handled well before. Two fuses near the power supply blew as has happened a couple of times before, so I replaced them. Then I turned it on again and even with no volume or speakers connected the same two fuses blew and a tiny puff of smoke came out of somewhere near the output transistors. The same fuses continue to blow whenever it is turned on.

Anyone know what is wrong with it,how it happened, how I can fix it or whether it is worth fixing?

Thanks
    Pete
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Sounds like a resistor opened up (smoke), due to a shorted transistor. I wouldn't put any more fuses in it. Sounds like you're speaks are are a tad more of a load than the amp can handle, at least when pushed, given the fact that the fuses have blown b-4. May not be a bad idea to look into a little healthier amp, capable of low Z speakers or double check you're DIY speaks and see how low they dip.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"