X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cfrahme52
    • Aug 2005

RB 1080 Fuses and Heat (Long post)

I've owned the RB1080 since March 2004. I believe it is what is referred to as version 3-it has the dual "WBT-like" speaker binding posts.
    After over a year of use (listening to classical, chamber, rock, jazz at "healthy" volumes) I lost the right channel.
    A friend, who works at the stereo store where I purchased the gear (Rotel dealer) came over and we replaced the 2 internal 6.3A fuses with same.
    The amp has been working & sounding fine for the past 4 months.
    However, the right side now gets hot-top right/rear vent area gets quite warm to the touch.
    (Compared to the left side which stays completely cool.)
    Following some advice on the forum, I've been running a 92mm CPU fan(Vantec Stealth) which has done a great job keeping the temp lower on the right side.
    I don't know if this heat could be a result of some damge that occurred when the fuses blew, or if it could be considered "normal."
    My friend is urging me to send it back to Rotel, but I'm not sure what the turnaround might be.
    I'm open to any advice, suggestions, etc.
    I've never used the 12v trigger, which I understand has been involved in a few of these types of problems.
    Last edited by cfrahme52; 30 September 2005, 18:11 Friday.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

I'd send it back if I were you. Sounds like the bias is a bit out of whack. Plus, if you've already blown one fuse, then the unit should be checked over for the capacitor/resistor mod. If our dealer is your friend, and you don't have to send it thru a distributor, you can get a very quick turn around from Rotel service.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• cfrahme52
      • Aug 2005

Thanks. I've been waivering between keeping it/sending it out, since it still sounds so good.
      Charlie

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"