X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmilSA
    • Feb 2012

Death of a RSP-1069?

I have messed up my firmware upgrade on my RSP-1069 and it seems I will now be paying some stupidty-tax as a result thereof.

The local Rotel agents in South Africa can replace the digital board at around $800, or send it UK, where there is some glimmer of hope in resuscitating it, but this would probably cost just ask much.

I can probably buy a good second hand unit for about $1000, or I could go for the RSP-1572.

My plan was however to buy a new Blu-Ray player and feed analogue 7.1 into the old RSP-1069, so I'm not entirely convinced of forking out over $2600 for a new processor - it seems that the onbaord processing of many of the new Blu-Ray players such as the Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Marantz are so good that I didn't really have to upgrade my RSP-1069.

So the probalem remains that the RSP-1069 is dead in the water and I need some advice. Has anybody heard of somebody who has brought such a processor back from the dead?

Any advice on this matter and potential upgrade options would be greatly appreciated!
  • EmilSA
    • Feb 2012

Can somebody perhaps put me in touch with Mike Sheehan, who I believe knows a lot about these Rotel related matters? I would also like to know how to pass-tru 3D on the RSP-1069 if I do manage to get it working again.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by EmilSA
      I have messed up my firmware upgrade on my RSP-1069 and it seems I will now be paying some stupidty-tax as a result thereof.

The local Rotel agents in South Africa can replace the digital board at around $800, or send it UK, where there is some glimmer of hope in resuscitating it, but this would probably cost just ask much.

I can probably buy a good second hand unit for about $1000, or I could go for the RSP-1572.

My plan was however to buy a new Blu-Ray player and feed analogue 7.1 into the old RSP-1069, so I'm not entirely convinced of forking out over $2600 for a new processor - it seems that the onbaord processing of many of the new Blu-Ray players such as the Oppo, Cambridge Audio, Marantz are so good that I didn't really have to upgrade my RSP-1069.

So the probalem remains that the RSP-1069 is dead in the water and I need some advice. Has anybody heard of somebody who has brought such a processor back from the dead?

Any advice on this matter and potential upgrade options would be greatly appreciated!

Ouch !! that's really too bad!!. Is there someway or another that you might be able to do another 'backwards' firmware to restore it to what was once the old firmware??. Just a thought. I've only done one firmware update on my Oppo dvd player and it scared the hell outta' me. I will never do a firmware update on anything again unless absolutely nesessary!! h:
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• audiomatters
        • Apr 2009

Why would you feed 7.1 analog into the 1069. It will accept the HD codecs decoded from the blu ray player through the hdmi.

Comment

• EmilSA
          • Feb 2012

I have now also learnt that the RSP-1069 will accept LPCM via HDMI. So I think that is what I will do. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

If the member has the Oppo BDP-95 , this person is better going via the oppo into the analog inputs on his/her Rotel for the superior DAC conversion That the Oppo offers. HDMI conversion is OK if the DAC processor in the Rotel is better than the source DAC converter which in the case of the Oppo 95, is very highly unlikely.
            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Can somebody perhaps put me in touch with Mike Sheehan, who I believe knows a lot about these Rotel related matters?
              msheehan@equityaudio.com
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                If the member has the Oppo BDP-95 , this person is better going via the oppo into the analog inputs on his/her Rotel for the superior DAC conversion That the Oppo offers. HDMI conversion is OK if the DAC processor in the Rotel is better than the source DAC converter which in the case of the Oppo 95, is very highly unlikely.
                Perhaps, I'd want to hear a few A/B tests though.
                Last edited by mjb; 13 March 2012, 05:34 Tuesday.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• EmilSA
                  • Feb 2012

I'm getting my RSP-1069 back today from the South African Rotel agents. I'm also getting my Cambridge Audio 751 BD, which is based on the Oppo, but has 5 Wolfson DAC's on the analogue outputs, so I think there is a good chance that this BD player actually has better onboard decoding than my ageing RSP-1069. Any opinions to the contrary?

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

I'm also getting my Cambridge Audio 751 BD, which is based on the Oppo, but has 5 Wolfson DAC's on the analogue outputs, so I think there is a good chance that this BD player actually has better onboard decoding than my ageing RSP-1069. Any opinions to the contrary?
                    No contrary opinion from me EmilSA. If I hadn't bought an Oppo BDP-95 then your Cambridge Audio is the one I would have got. A colleague whose opinion I respect tells me that the analogue output of his 751BD is excellent.

If/when you get your RSP-1069 back we'll be interested to hear how the DACs in the 751BD compare.

Nigel.

Comment

• EmilSA
                      • Feb 2012

Thanks for the input! I will try to compare the DAC's onboard the RSP-1069 and the 751 BD as best I could. Interconnects could play a big role here as well. I just want to correct myself on the statement above that the CA 751 BD is based on the Oppo - it is more like both the Oppo and the CA 751 BD are based on the Mediatek MTK8530 platform.

Comment

• paully
                        • Mar 2012

oh i feel sorry for you. i was about to update the firmware on my 1069. think i'll hold that thought for a while.

does anyone know how to tell if the hardware mod to bypass the video transcoder on the 1069 has been done?

Comment

• hery19
                          • Jul 2008

One way to tell is if in the menu you have the option to bypass.
                          TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
                          Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
                          Amp: Monolith 7X
                          Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
                          Sub: SVS PB 3000
                          Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
                          Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
                          Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• paully
                            • Mar 2012

I read that with the firmware upgrade you can see the menu to bypass but if the hardware mod isn't done it will ignore the menu setting. I'd like to know why the hardware mod is?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Call Rotel with the serial number. They'll know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                                • Jan 2010

How do I take advantage of the superior HDMI audio w/an RSP 1069

The it along w/other early Rotel HDMI "compatible" gear is V1.1 not to mention all the "handshake" problems I keep reading about. I can't $wing upgrading to the brand new stuff.

I have a large tax refund pending processing, just not large enough. Thanks in advance, Tony
                                Samsung 60" LED
                                Outlaw Audio 976
                                Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                                Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                                LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                                M & T: Rotel RB-981
                                Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                                SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                                Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                                Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"