Rotel 1098 questions for newbie - switching over???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quantronics
    • Apr 2004

Rotel 1098 questions for newbie - switching over???

I this is my first time on the forum and I must, there's some great information and everyone is very helpful.

I'm currently looking at switching out of my Marantz SR-18 refernce receiver and going into sperates. I've looked at the Rotel 1098 and the Parasound's C1. I do have a few questions before I make the big leap. I have B&W 803's as my primary speakers with a Nauitlus HTM1 center channl and Nauitlui SCM1 as my rears.

1. The LCD screen only works with composite inputs? If that's true, should I hook up my DVD, VCR and my TIVO through the composite and let the 1098 up sample through the component output. Will I loose video quality by doing that by gaining the LCD screen. Will most components allow for multiple outputs (S-Video and Composite or Component and Composite). I really can use the extra LCD screen for viewing sports, editing, etc.

2. Can I hook up the Ethernet jack on the 1098 into my home network (Linksys Router) and access it though the network rather than hook up a computer each time I need to upgrade the firmware, etc? The rack I have all my components are in is not easily accessible. How often do firmware updates come out? Do I need to open up the 1098 to perform a firmware?

3. How are Rotel 5x amps compared to Bryston or equivalent high end. I would like to drive all 5 B&W speakers through the amp. Any suggestions here? I did read the post on the Parasound forum kinding digging into the 1098 for a weak mid-range. Seems like sour grapes in my opionion.

4. Is Rotel's customer service good and reliable. Do they have a lot of DOA products? If something does go bad, how long does it take to get the products fixed?

5. It seems that 1098 is the oldest of the Rotel line. Will they come out with another model replacing 1098 soon? How does the 1098 and other Rotel products for that matter hold up their resale value?

6. Do Rotel products typically run cool or hot?

7. Just so I can rule everything out, does Denon, Marantz or Pioneer Elite even hold a candle to Rotel? I had to throw this one it!!!

I really appreciate any help here and look forward to getting involved in the forum and contributing to the cause.

Thanks,
    Erich aka ET
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Erich

Well you're definately headed in the right direction (nice speakers BTW :T ). Let's see if I can help...

1-As far as I know, yes it only works with composite connections. I don't own the 1098 though so maybe an owner can confirm that hasn't been updated...? (I seem to remember something from a while back that it could do other sources but only interlaced...?) Many components do allow for multiple outputs (ie: component and composite) simultaneously but you'd have to check each unit individually. If you don't need/desire the TFT screen I recommend you do a comparison between the 1098 and 1068. Many have commented that there's little sound difference between the two for the money. Of course many have also stated the 1098 was better and they had no problem paying for it, so your mileage may vary. Still you should compare the two.

2-Yes you should be able to simply connect it through your network. There was even some folks who had written some software to control the old 1066 via PC quite a while back.

3-There are better amps out there no question. There are better pre/pro's than the 1098 as well. As far as I know they all cost a little or a lot more though. So depending on your wallet and ears, you have to decide if Rotel's affordable quality is what you want or other companies price is less of a concern to get that final nudge closer to perfection is what you want. Rotels amps are generally known as some of the best bargains out there. They give you say 95% of the performance at half the price. You have to decide if you want pay for higher than 95%...

4-Rotels customer service is one of the best IMO. There's even one fellow here who purchased used Rotel gear which turned out not to work so he sent it in for service. Generally most companies won't perform warranty work if you're not the original owner but they fixed it for free for him! Any time I've emailed their technical support they've been prompt and helpful. As an example of how quickly they correct problems... The 1098 when originally released last year had a faint interference noise, it took about a month or so to diagnose it and about another month for them to ship a shield, for free, to correct it. They don't fool around.

5-It just came out last year. I'd say you've got another year or two before any replacement. Rotel gear has excellent resale value. Check out ebay or audiogon or our own pawn shop on HTGuide to see what used stuff is still selling for

6-My 1066 and 1075 do get a tiny bit warm when I push but as long as you place them with adequate ventilation you should have no problems.

7- Maybe a small match but no candle ..lol. There's just no beating seperates and higher quality parts, power supply's etc.

Hope that helps

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• jazznsoccer
      • Apr 2004

Hi Erich,

I used the Rotel RMB-1095 to drive a listening test of B&W 802, 803s and 804s. I settled on the 802s :B

The Rotel was driving the 802s at moderate listening levels for a couple of hours and was just barely above room temp - hardly noticeable. But the speakers weren't really cranked...

On a side note, when I came in, the sales guy I was talking to had been burning in the 802s for a couple of hours cranking them with the Rotel. When the other sales guys came in they thought the 802s had been hooked up to the Krell! The Krell did have a little better sound - but at 4x the price.

The upshot - go set up a demo and do a blind ab compare if you can. It's fun - and the best way for you to figure out what and where to invest.

I would not have gone for the extra money on the 802s w/o listening - but once I heard - well decided the extra money was worth it. SO be careful what you listen to - it may be painful on the wallet! :lol:

On the amp side, I'll take the Rotel and use the money to offset the better speakers.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I'll add some comments to #1 & #2

1) Yes the TFT needs composite inputs to display. However I would still use the best outputs for each device in addition to composite. IE, use component for DVD (either going through the 1098 or straight to the TV), and svideo off your TIVO. You can surely have the 1098 convert everything over to component if you want, most people have no degredation in quality. So:

VCR-> composite in, component out
        DVD-> composite and component in, component out
        TIVO-> svideo and composite in, component out

2) Unfortunately the RJ45 on the back of the unit is NOT a network connection, but an RS232 connection. You could possibly damage things plugging a network connection in. The computer software that Jason discussed was just an RS232 controller. You could go ahead and run a cat5 over to your computer for firmware upgrades, but keep in mind that RS232 is only good for 50 feet or so. Rotel was working on a device that would plug into the RS232 port and allow the 1098 to be a network device, but I think it kind of fizzled out.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

• eddyg
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          2) Unfortunately the RJ45 on the back of the unit is NOT a network connection, but an RS232 connection. You could possibly damage things plugging a network connection in. The computer software that Jason discussed was just an RS232 controller. You could go ahead and run a cat5 over to your computer for firmware upgrades, but keep in mind that RS232 is only good for 50 feet or so.
          FYI. For upgrades I use the following [Rotel RJ-45 -> DB9 female adapter] -> [DB9 male -> RJ-45 adapter] -> 50ft (15m) of cat5 -> [RJ-45 -> DB9 female adapter] -> PC for upgrades and it works very well, and means that I don't have to unplug the 1098, which is a mammoth task, best to be avoided.

Cheers, Edward.

Comment

• Quantronics
            • Apr 2004

This is all great stuff. Thanks again and I'll post my results once I get all my cool gear in.

Any suggestions where I get Rotel gear on-line for reasonable prices?

Thanks,
            ET

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

No On-Line Rotel Dealers...

ET,

Rotel don't have any authorised on-line stores - they do have a focused dealer network which is a key part of their reputation for good / excellent customer service. So post the area where you live and you'll probably get some suggestions of some relevant local dealers from Ht Guide members....

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Rotel makes awesome gear with great value but I prefer other's amps instead. My opinion. Not that Rotel amps are bad, mind you. They're actually very, very good. But for a 5-channel amp I discovered Earthquake's CineNova Grande 5 (300W X 5 @ 8 ohms), it actually runs cool, it is 5 monoblocks encased in one housing, weighs in at a hefty 125 lbs., etc. It can be had for slightly more than a Rotel RMB-1095 (MSRP); it comes with a transferable (pre-approved by Earthquake) 10-year warranty. It's distortion levels are extremely low.

Jim

P.S. I am also a Bryston fan too. Sorry fellas....
                Last edited by jimmyp58; 02 May 2004, 10:30 Sunday.
                jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Trying the competition is good

Jimmy58,

Nothing to be sorry about. CinaNova, Byston, Parasound, Krell... There's some other great amps out there to consider and while these often have list prices way higher than Rotels - there are bargains about at some dealers that can bring the price down to be much closer than the RRPs would at first indicate.. No one should buy Rotel ampls without hearing at least one of the competition and making up their own mind as to sound preferences, value etc...

Keep on posting

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Ditto what Geoff said on the amps Jim

Unfortunately the RJ45 on the back of the unit is NOT a network connection, but an RS232 connection. You could possibly damage things plugging a network connection in. The computer software that Jason discussed was just an RS232 controller. You could go ahead and run a cat5 over to your computer for firmware upgrades, but keep in mind that RS232 is only good for 50 feet or so. Rotel was working on a device that would plug into the RS232 port and allow the 1098 to be a network device, but I think it kind of fizzled out.
                    OK, sorry, this is what I was talking about ops: I was thinking network cable to serial adapter etc and then to computer that you can run updates from. (Way easier than disconnecting everything!) You could also run software to control the unit (which you'd have to find or write yourself) which could be run over a network (Control your 1098 via a wifi connection to the your laptop anyone? :P ) through that computer, through the serial connection. It would be a LOT of work though 8O I should have been more clear...sorry ops:

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Quantronics
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                      ET,

Rotel don't have any authorised on-line stores - they do have a focused dealer network which is a key part of their reputation for good / excellent customer service. So post the area where you live and you'll probably get some suggestions of some relevant local dealers from Ht Guide members....

Geoff
                      I live in the Detroit Metro area of MI. I've actually been to Rotel's site and have found two dealers that carry it. One is pretty rigid and never cuts deals. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again,
                      ET

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"