X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

My goodbye to Rotel

Even though I liked Rotel a lot, I have sold the 1098 and 1090. Then upgraded to Parasound A51 and Parasound C2.

However I will still be around Club Rotel to catch up on Rotel related things and to lend a hand with questions on Rotel.

I'm a quick upgrader, going from Onkyo exactly a year ago, to Rotel a few months later, to more Rotel a few months later, using the 1098 for one and a half months and then switching to Parasound.

The upgraditis has now calmed down and this system will have to be the system for the coming years.

Note, that I always have been pleased by Rotel stuff. The only big disappointment towards Rotel is the 1098. Not soundwise, but their implementation of some things lacks good usability design and good thinking. The TFT is my biggest turn off towards the 1098.

Some pics and comments about my current system can be found:

(btw... I still have the Rotel RCD991, so not completely Rotel-less.)
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I still have my 1055, but I too left Rotel for my power amp. I chose the Cinenova Grande 5. I have to keep my 1055 for now. I have gone well over my budget at this point.

btw, what are those stands you have under your b&w 804's? and did the make much of a difference from without or was it because you have hard wood floor as opposed to carpet?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko
      I still have my 1055, but I too left Rotel for my power amp. I chose the Cinenova Grande 5. I have to keep my 1055 for now. I have gone well over my budget at this point.

btw, what are those stands you have under your b&w 804's? and did the make much of a difference from without or was it because you have hard wood floor as opposed to carpet?
      Those blocks underneath are solid granite blocks of about 12 kg a piece. They are shaped to the speakers. Actually the outline was made using 805 stands, since they are wider than the speaker but with the same shape. On the stones are there are tiny holes drilled in which the spikes fit, so that the speakers can move. The stones are specially treated to be very smooth (waxed and grinded). Under the stones there are Vibrapods (rubber) to make a decoupling. Soundwise there is a slight improvement of the bass. Bit deeper and tight. The extra weight makes the 804's even more rigid (note that spikes couple the speaker to the object underneath).

Comment

• will1066
        • Aug 2003

Well done, Scarp. Those Parasound components are formidable machines. But don't kid yourself; upgraditis is a permanent condition. :LOL: It won't be years before you wound up at Lexicon, Meridian, etc.

Congrats on the upgrades.

Comment

• skipm
          • Jun 2003

Scarp-

Don't be a stranger around here. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and you've always been very helpful sharing your knowledge and insight with the new Club members. Enjoy your new equipment but I don't think you are ever cured from "upgraditis".

-Skip

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

The upgraditis has calmed down, but it isn't gone!!

But after now exactly one year I've done so many upgrades ... here is a short timeline:
            * December 2002 (exactly one year ago) bought Onkyo Receiver and DVD player Together with B&W 604's, LCR600, 602.5's, 601's and an ASW650 (7.1 system)
            * Less than 2 months later added an Rotel RB1070.
            Shortly after traded in the Onkyo receiver for a Rotel RSP1066 and RMB1075.
            * Then sold the 1070 and got an 1090 instead. In the mean time sold several of the speakers and eventually sold all of them to get the B&W 804's and HTM1.
            * Also had a SVS Subwoofer for a short period of one week.
            * September: Sold the 1066 and 1075 and got the 1098.
            * September: Traded in the 1090 for the Parasound A51
            * December: Traded in the 1098 for the Parasound C2

Its easy to say that I've done more upgrades/changes in a year than most do in 10 years

Rotel still provides good quality stuff for good prices. The 1066 is especially worth the money. Its one of few in its price class and beats many pre/pro parts of most receivers that are out there.

I will still be around here, so you guys wont get rid of me that easily :P

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The upgraditis has now calmed down and this system will have to be the system for the coming years.
              I've heard other people say that before....and I didn't believe them either :LOL:

Comment

• ht_addict
                • Dec 2002

Its easy to say that I've done more upgrades/changes in a year than most do in 10 years
                You most certainly have. Though I have to say I'm on track to do the same. Since Nov 02 I have

1. Replaced 32" TV with Panasonic 47" RPTV
                2. Repaced Panasonic RP62 with RP82
                3. Replaced Rotel RMB-1066 amp with Rotel RMB-1095
                4. Replaced Paradigm Mini Monitor/CC350 with Studio 40/20/470 (v3)
                5. Sold PS-1000 with speakers and replaced it with PW-2100
                6. Sold Monster HTS1000 and replaced with AR surge protector(needed $)
                7. Sold AR six months later and got a Monster HTS1000mkII
                8. Sold Marantz AV560U pre/pro and replaced with Yamaha RX-V1400 to be used as pre/pro.
                9. Bought more wire to bi-wire.

I'm $3900CDN in the hole for the speakers/amp/receiver. Till Sept 04 I'm done with upgrading. Time to pay everything off before the no interest period runs out.

ht_addict

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I have no idea who you could be talking about Andrew.

Scarp, you da man! HTAddict, your true to your monikor!

Myself, I didn't do any upgrades this year. :LOL: ops:

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

This may be therapeutic. I don't know how to start but you got me going Scarp. I could start this off with "Bless me Father for I have sinned..." or "Hello, my name is Jim and I am an upgraditis addict". Anyway, here is my exhaustive list. I don't think it matters who wins but I thought I'd add to the fun. Here goes:

Jim’s 2003 upgrades:

1. Replaced my Klipsch Quintet speakers with Def Tech BP2004TLs (exchanged them for 2002’s the next day because one of the 2004’s was defective and the store didn’t have another pair), Def Tech c/l/r 2300, Def Tech ProCinema 100s, and Klipsch RSW-10.
                    2. Replaced Def Tech ProCinema 100s with Def Tech BPXs.
                    3. Added two Sony CD Carousels.
                    4. Replaced Pioneer Elite DVD player with Sony DVD carousel.
                    5. Replaced Toshiba 32” 4:3 TV with Mitsubishi rptv hd (widescreen).
                    6. Replaced Sony STRV333ES receiver with Denon AVR-5803 receiver.
                    7. Added Denon DVD-2900.
                    8. Replaced Klipsch RSW-10 with Def Tech SuperCube Reference sub.
                    9. Replaced Def Tech BP2002TLs with Def Tech BP7000SCs.
                    10. Replaced Denon AVR-5803 with Rotel RSP-1098, Rotel RMB-1095, & Rotel RB-1050.
                    11. Added Rega Headphone amp.
                    12. Added Bryston 4B SST for front channel speakers (Rotel RMB-1095 for surrounds/center).
                    13. Added two Monster Power Center 5100’s.
                    14. Added B&W ASW600 sub for rear of ht.
                    15. Replaced Bryston 4B SST with Bryston 14B SST.
                    16. Replaced Rotel RMB-1095 with Bryston 7B SST (for center) and Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 for surrounds.
                    17. Replaced Def Tech c/l/r 2300 with Def Tech c/l/r 3000.
                    18. Replaced Denon DVD-2900 with Denon DVD-5900.
                    19. Replaced Def Tech BPX surrounds with Def Tech BPVXs for surrounds.
                    20. Added BPT BP1/CPC Power Center.
                    21. In the process of replacing cabling.

I think my wife's had enough of my upgrading this year. She said she wants some jewelry for Christmas and I keep reminding her that I've bought her a lot of "gems" throughout the year...it hasn't worked. Oh well.

Here's to a sober 2004 ... yeah right!

Jim

P.S. Thanks for the list fellas because whenever my wife feels I am the only nut out there with the upgrades, I can print this thread for her to read (not that'll matter but...a guy's gotta try anyway).
                    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko
                      Some pics:

Pretty cool to see the upgrades of others. I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one who bought more stuff in one year than his car was worth originally

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                        • Sep 2003

I'm not even going to list my changes as of late. I blame jimmy for most of it, and I also appreciate his helping me decide!

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                        GameTracker -My List-
                        Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Scarp, did you build those? I thought about getting some stands.. the name escapes me right now..

My changes started when I bought my samsung txn3071. I bought it for 500$. what a deal.. then I had to upgrade all my cabling to support component video and remove svideo.

then i bought a panasonic rp-91, and then took it back for an rp-62.
                          upgraded my yamaha rxv-992 to the rotel 1055.
                          bought the panamax 5100.

upgraded my b&w 604s1's to N805's.
                          upgraded my b&w matrix center to htm2
                          upgraded 805's to 804's
                          ordered cinenova grande 5 amp
                          i really want to upgrade to the htm1, and my dealer is going to allow trade in, but I've run out of money, so I need to wait a few months.

I will be done once I get the htm1, for now anyways. When I am able to rebound and get a house, I will work on rears and surrounds, and a new sub. and a tv.

Prolly seems backwards to not get a big tv and build around it, but I like the quality sound and tv prices are to drop enormously over the next 2 years. I'm kinda waitin to see when the standard is figured out.
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Scarp
                            • Mar 2003

No, I did not make those stones myself. Its a specialized piece of work to handle granite stones. Someone else just made a wood outline of the 805 stands and gave that to the company. They made these things out of 4 cm thick granite. Polishing and waxing them.
                            The only thing I did is make the little holes for putting the spikes in, so the speakers wont slip and slide all over the place.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

hmmm my list for this year would be

replaced Rotel 1066 with 1055 (I think that was this year ops: )
                              replaced 1055 with 1098:T
                              replaced HK PA5800 with Rotel 1075
                              replaced Sony 7700 with Denon 1600
                              Added Studio Experience 1HD projector
                              Added DIY screen
                              Rebuilt two M8a speakers into large ported towers
                              rebuilt subwoofers
                              rerebuilt subwoofers
                              rererebuiltsubwoofer in an quad tempest IB
                              replaced paradimg atoms with inwall speakers for zone two
                              added hard wired IR repeater system for zone two
                              built EzSub14 DIY subwoofer for zone two...then sold it.
                              added new carpet to HT room
                              covered side wall insulation with fabric
                              replaced futon with three leather recliners for front row
                              add a couple of movie poster frames
                              bough Dell laptop and wireless network so I can surf HTG anywhere in the house

and the best addition this year was the arrival of my daughter :angel:

Comment

• will1066
                                • Aug 2003

I plead guilty:

Since Oct 02

Bought Bell 'O rack in preparation of new system
                                " RSP-1066
                                " RMB-1075
                                " Arcam "DiVA" CD92
                                " B&W CM 4
                                " CM C
                                " DM 600S3 and Sound Organisation stands
                                " ASW600
                                " Sony DVP-NS715P
                                " Interconnects and speaker cables
                                Sold CM 4 and CM C
                                Bought CDM 7NT for $1400 new
                                " CDM CNT
                                " PS Audio Ultimate Outlet
                                Upgraded interconnects
                                " all power cords
                                Bought Tripplite Isobar Ultra 12 surge protector
                                " Denon DVD-2900 for $500 B-stock (Sony still being kept)
                                About to buy RB-1080

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

So much for the global economic downturn!

Jim

P.S. Anyone else care to fess up?!
                                  jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Well, I just ordered the RB-1080 for the fronts.

Darn bug,

Azeke

Comment

• skipm
                                      • Jun 2003

Okay I guess it's my turn. In the last 18 months I ....

1. Replaced my Sony STR-DB930 receiver with a Sony STR-DA2ES.
                                      2. Replaced the Sony STR-DA2ES with a Denon AVR-3803.
                                      3. Replaced the Denon AVR-3803 with a Rotel RSP-1098RMB-1075 combo.
                                      4. Replaced my Motorola DCT-2000 digital cable box with a Motorola DCT-3100 HDTV cable box.
                                      5. Replaced my Sony SLV-N77 VCR with a JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS VCR.
                                      6. Replaced my ReplayTV 3060 with a ReplayTV 5160.
                                      7. Replaced my Sony DVP-550D DVD player with a Sony DVP-875P DVD player.
                                      8. Replaced the Sony DVp-875P with a Pioneer DV-45A DVD/DVD-A/SACD player.
                                      9. Replaced the Pioneer DV-45A with a Bravo D1 DVD player.
                                      10. Replaced the Bravo D1 with a Samsung DVD-HD1000 DVD player.
                                      11. Replaced my Sony KV-32XBR100 with a Pioneer 43" 433CMX Plasma.
                                      12. Replaced my Sony RM-AV2100 remote with a Sony RM-VL900 remote.
                                      13. Replaced the Sony RM-VL900 with a Sony RM-AV3000 remote.
                                      13. Replaced the Sony RM-AV3000 with a Home Threater Master MX-500 remote.
                                      14. Replaced the Home Theater Master MX-500 with a Home Theater Master MX-700.
                                      15. Purchased a Samsung SIR-T151 OTA HDTV tuner.
                                      16. Will purchase a Roku HD1000 HD Digital Media Player before the end of the year.
                                      17. Planning to purchase a Rotel RT-1080 AM-FM Tuner in January.
                                      18. Purchased last week a Dell server and 2-250GB hard drives to use as a music/photo media server.

Guys, we need some serious help.

-Skip

Comment

• Greg K
                                        • Jul 2003

OK,since it appears to be "confession" time Here is my 2003 story

Replaced AR TSW510 fronts with Mordaunt-Short MS908's,moved AR's to the rear.

Got an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer

Rotel RMB 1070 amp for the front channels of an Harmon Kardon AVR 520

Liked the Rotel stuff so much,got an RSX 1055.

Rotel RVD 1060 DVD player

Adcom GFA 6000 amp for the rears and center channel

I dont feel near as bad now that I see your upgrade' for the year .A buddy of mine has been teasing me about all the upgrades this year,saying he is going to start checking my trash every week to see what HT stuff got"rotated" out....

Greg

Comment

• ht_addict
                                          • Dec 2002

After reading some other confessions I can honestly and truly say "We are all in serious need of some help." This is truely and addiction without a cure.

ht_addict

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2003

Thought I would join this therapy group! I doubt it will stop my upgradeitus, however.

Since this time last year.

Upgraded big screen from older 50" 4x3 to Ultravision 65" HDTV 16x9
                                            JVC RX888 went to Denon 3802
                                            Denon 3802 went to Rotel 1066/1075/1050
                                            Sat TV receiver went from Dish 301 to Dish 6000U HD
                                            Toshiba DVD player went to Denon 900
                                            Denon 900 DVD player went to Bravo D1
                                            Klipsch RF3 mains went to RF7s
                                            Polk M2 side surrounds went to Klipsch RS7s
                                            Klipsch RC3 center went to RC7
                                            Klipsch Quintet rear surrounds went to Klipsch RS35s
                                            Monster HT 100 power strip went to HT3500 power center
                                            Energy 10" 100 watt sub went to SVS 2039Pci
                                            SVS 2039Pci went to SVS PB2+
                                            Then we needed a new house to hold all this stuff!!! that cost us 400 grand!

Jerry Rappaport

Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075/RB-1050
                                            Klipsch RF7C/RC7C/RS7/RS3 SVS PB2+
                                            Bravo D1 DVD
                                            Dish Network 6000U HD
                                            Ultravision 65" HDTV
                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• spiffnme
                                              • Apr 2003

Hi, my name is Craig and I'm an audioholic.

Since last spring...

Snell K/II ---> moved to bedroom
                                              Axiom M22ti ---> replaced Snells in livingroom
                                              Hsu VTF-2 ---> replaced Yamaha YST-60
                                              Axiom VP150 ---> replaced Phase Tech center
                                              Energy Vertias 2.2 ---> replaced Axiom M22ti
                                              Axiom M60ti ---> replaced Energy Veritas 2.2
                                              Axiom QS8 ---> replaced Polk LS f/x surrounds
                                              Axiom M2i ---> added 7.1 rears
                                              Pioneer 655A ---> replaced dead sony dvd player
                                              Rotel RSP-1066 ---> replaced Onkyo Integra receiver
                                              Rotel RMB-1075 ---> paired with 1066
                                              Rotel RB-1070 ---> added 7.1 rear channels
                                              Odyssey Stratos ---> replacing RB-1070

The obvious weak link is the DVD player. If I can score a deal on a Denon 5900, I may jump on it. Then of course a new TV. We're still using our old JVC 32".

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                                              All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                                • Jul 2003

Those Parasound units looks quite sweet!!!...

I wanted to do the same with my speakers, 3" of polished black granit...

How much did it cost for the granit slabs???

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                                                -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                                                - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Scarp
                                                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tha Freak
                                                  Those Parasound units looks quite sweet!!!...

I wanted to do the same with my speakers, 3" of polished black granit...

How much did it cost for the granit slabs???
                                                  Hmm... dont remember actually. I think it was somewhere around 150 euro a piece. Granite is quite costly and making it in the right shape and polishing takes some effort too. Its definitly worth it I think.

Comment

• KMD
                                                    • Apr 2003

After reading all the comments about upgradeitous my head is still laughing & spinning. Until I remember just what we went threw this year.Taking a wall down between two small rooms to make one bigger room (2 rooms at 12x 13 to 24 x13)Going out to the local book store grabbing all the audio mags that I could an tring to make sense of it all.As far as upgrades this is my first home theater system,and of course thier will be some changes maybe not as fast as I would like but I"ll take when I can get it. My system Mitsu 55511,Rotel 1066/1075 combo,B&W speakers-dm601 s3,cdmcnt,asw675,CM C -mains,Monster power3600,Pionneer Elite DV C36 player, and wired the bedroom for zone two,a four pc wood enertainment center wich really ties every thing up nicely.I had to go to my instruction manuals to make sure I had all the right model # an realised that this system AINT even a year old. P.S please let me know if Jimmy 58 is playing Santa I"ll have to send him my address!!!!!! (Best upgrade this year was FINDING this place!)

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                      • Oct 2002

This thread is really therapeutic! Should change the name of this thread for: "Look here, your not the only crazy one..."

Ok. My turn. Upgrade in the last 18 months.

Speakers.
                                                      1)Paradigm Atoms all around, CC-170 and PDR-10
                                                      2)Change for Mini-Monitors all around, CC-350 and PDR-12.
                                                      3)Change for Studio-100, Studio-40, Studio-20, Studio-CC and Servo-15 all v2.
                                                      4)Change all the v2 for the equivalent v3 and CC-570.
                                                      5)Studio-100 exchange for Signature S8. All surrounds coming soon+center in the Signature Serie.

Pre/pro, receivers and amps.
                                                      1)Yamaha HTR-5150.
                                                      2)Change for Yamaha RX-V1200. Then RX-V2200, then RX-V3200...
                                                      3)Add a Rotel RMB-1095.
                                                      4)Exchange the Yammie 3200 for a Rotel RSP-1066+RB-1050.
                                                      5)Change RSP-1066 for Anthem AVM20.
                                                      6)Change RB-1050 for Bryston 4BSST (RMB-1095 for surrounds)
                                                      7)Coming: Anthen Director D1 and Anthem P5 (5X325W)

Display.
                                                      1)Sony Wega 27 inches.
                                                      2)Exchange for Toshiba 65HDX82 for 16:9 and sat-HD. ISF'd.
                                                      3)Add a Sony 40XBR800 for 4:3. ISF'd.
                                                      4) Coming soon: projectors... Sony Qualia or Marantz S3...

DVD-player
                                                      1)Toshiba 2109
                                                      2)Change for a JVC (don't remember the model)
                                                      3)Change for Denon DVD-3800
                                                      4)Change for Denon DVD-5900. Using DVI connection now.

Satellite dish STB.
                                                      1)Starchoice 401
                                                      2)Add HDD-201 for HD.

Headphones.
                                                      1)Sennheiser HD-600
                                                      2)Change stock cables for upgrade Cardas for HD600.
                                                      3)Grado RA-1 dedicated amp.

Homes.
                                                      1)Finish the basement with a 20X28 dedicated HT.
                                                      2)Bought a second home.
                                                      3)Building a new section beside the 2nd house with a dedicated isolated room for HT. Not finish. Will be finish in april next year.
                                                      4)Redone all the grounding of the 2 houses with 2 electricians.

Ouf. And I'm not talking about cables and surge protection... ops:
                                                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• vsarathy
                                                        • Oct 2003

After reading some other confessions I can honestly and truly say "We are all in serious need of some help." This is truely and addiction without a cure.
                                                        To me all this sounds more like a bunch of people with DEEEEEP pockets and LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of expendable income.

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by vsarathy
                                                          To me all this sounds more like a bunch of people with DEEEEEP pockets and LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of expendable income.
                                                          While it may be true that we have a tad more disposable income than some. That doesn't mean we don't need help. 110% of your "spending" cash shouldn't go to one hobby. That's just silly.

I say we all vow to take our husband/wife/bf/gf on a nice trip in 2004. Instead of that new amp/tv... buy a pair of tickets to Hawaii.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• skipm
                                                            • Jun 2003

I forgot to mention that I live in a trailer .... down by the river. :LOL:

-Skip

Comment

• skipm
                                                              • Jun 2003

Double post - sorry.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

I say we all vow to take our husband/wife/bf/gf on a nice trip in 2004. Instead of that new amp/tv... buy a pair of tickets to Hawaii
                                                                Now that I'm pretty happy with my gear that's something I'm working on next

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Alright I thought I'd chime in now...

Let's start with...

Yamaha RX-V1 to Yamaha RX-Z1 to Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075.
                                                                  Toshiba (5109..?) DVD player to Denon 1600.
                                                                  RCA 29" Direct View to Hitachi 51" HD-RPTV.
                                                                  Cerwin Vega's to Energy C-9's, C-5's and C-C3.
                                                                  Bought Energy XL-150's and XL-C100 for secondary system.
                                                                  Bought two APC power conditioners.
                                                                  Bought and made custom cables using Belden wire and Vampire RCA's.
                                                                  Bought new furniture (couches/chairs/barstools) for Theatre/Family room.

and finally... My girlfriend and I BOUGHT A HOUSE! By far the most expensive upgrade But I had to have somewhere to put all that gear didn't I? :LOL:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2003

I soooooo want a house. I can't tell you how old renting is getting.

Alas I live in Los Angeles. I checked http://www.realtor.com last week, and in my zip code (90025) the CHEAPEST single family home was $519,000. That was for a small 2 bed 1 bath home.

*sigh*

LA is great, but you either have to make a TON of money, or deal with the fact that you'll never own your own home.

grrrrr...

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

That's too bad :cry: And that's in US$! 8O

We were lucky enough to pick up a nice 3 bedroom 2.5 bath in great shape for just over $260,000 Canadian in a nice little suburb of Vancouver Though I will admit we got quite a steal on it. The only downside is that the theatre/family room is on the smallish side but it does have a dry bar! :P and I've got a double garage with a nice little workbench too! Maybe you should move up north spiffnme?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2002

Spiffnme.

I don't want to throw some oil on the fire... be here's my HT "with a view".

The picture was taken from my backyard in september. House on a lake. 5 minutes from work...
                                                                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by vsarathy
                                                                          Actually if you read my first post on this topic, I'm in debt to the tune of $3900CDN for everything I've bought in the last 6mths. Luckily its all on "buy now pay later plans" with no interest no payments. Every month I put something down, so that when it comes due its paid off. Not to mention that I sell off everything that I'm replacing to recoupe some of the cost. Also I don't :beer: and I don't smoke. This is my only sin.

ht_addict

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                            • 16507

This is my only sin.
                                                                            :angel:

Comment

• eulogytool
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2003
                                                                              • 20

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Scarp
                                                                              Even though I liked Rotel a lot, I have sold the 1098 and 1090. Then upgraded to Parasound A51 and Parasound C2.
                                                                              LOL, No offense but I would call that downgrading.

Comment

• vsarathy
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Oct 2003
                                                                                • 53

#40
                                                                                I am not in the same club as the rest that have made confessions on this thread. However, we did spend a non-trivial amount of money to upgrade the HT system that we had bought 4 years ago and with the money that saved over the past 2 years. So, I could say that I have the discipline to not turn into an HT addict. The system now comprises:

Rotel RSP-1098
                                                                                Rotel RMB-1095
                                                                                Denon 1600 DVD Player
                                                                                Marantz CC400 CD Player (from 4 years ago)
                                                                                Panamax 5100 Power Conditioner
                                                                                Infinity Interlude Speakers in the Front (from 4 year ago)
                                                                                Atlantic Technology THX Select Surrond Speakers
                                                                                All new Tributaries Cables
                                                                                Soon to be added Sanyo PLV-Z2 Front Projector with a 100" Stewart Grayhawk.

I plan to replace my Interludes with Magnepan MG 1.6s and CC3 in the next couple of years.

One thing that I want to know from people that are constantly upgrading their systems every couple of months or so is how do you manage to sell your old components and through what channels? Don't you incur a sizable loss every time you resell one of these high-end components?

Curiously,
                                                                                Viji

Comment

• vsarathy
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2003
                                                                                  • 53

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by levesque
                                                                                  The picture was taken from my backyard in september.
                                                                                  Nice picture, levesque. Looking at that post, I notice that you own a "lowly" Sony F717 How come the upgrade bug hasn't affected you on the digital camera front? Looking at the enviable list of your A/V components, one would think that you would have upgraded to a nice Canon EOS-10D or Canon EOS-1Ds :LOL:

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2002
                                                                                    • 508

#42
                                                                                    One thing that I want to know from people that are constantly upgrading their systems every couple of months or so is how do you manage to sell your old components and through what channels? Don't you incur a sizable loss every time you resell one of these high-end components?
                                                                                    Personally I post on forums like this one, Canuck Audio Mart and the local newsgroups, with the newsgroups giving me the most responses and ease to deal with local buyers. As far as losses go it all depends on what kinda deal you got in the first place. For example my first receiver cost me $575CDN and I sold it 6mths later for $500CDN. Everything else(speakers, pre/pro, amp) that I just sold, I've had for 2-4yrs. Because of the deals I got when I bought them, I've got about 55%+ back. More if you don't include tax as part of the price.

ht_addict

Comment

• Scarp
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2003
                                                                                      • 632

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by eulogytool
                                                                                      Originally posted by Scarp
                                                                                      LOL, No offense but I would call that downgrading.
                                                                                      Hmm... maybe its personal, but its a big upgrade.
                                                                                      The 1090 is a nice amp, but too little in bass. The A51 gives a lot more detail and strength in the lower regions. Note that its several watts class A, which gives very good handling.
                                                                                      Also, the A51 has 5 channels, which allows me to drive all my 5 channels. The 1090 is a stereo amp and dvd's in stereo aren't as fun as with surround. I would have had to buy a 1095 with this, however that would leave me with two extra unused channels for the same price (1090 + 1095 is almost the same price as one A51 in Holland).
                                                                                      Besides that integration is now nearly perfect, in the sense that I got 5 identical amplification channels. The 1095 and 1090 dont sound completely the same, which decreases system integration.

And I even have't talked about the improvement the C2 gave to compared to 1098.

Anyway, its personal preference, but I see this as a major upgrade.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2002
                                                                                        • 344

#44
                                                                                        Nice picture, levesque. Looking at that post, I notice that you own a "lowly" Sony F717 How come the upgrade bug hasn't affected you on the digital camera front? Looking at the enviable list of your A/V components, one would think that you would have upgraded to a nice Canon EOS-10D or Canon EOS-1Ds :LOL:
                                                                                        You won't believe it by I just received my new Sony F828 this morning! Already sold the 717 to a friend...

Btw, I go to the same dealer since 10 years, and he ALWAYS give me 100% credit on everything I buy if I want to exchange it in less then a year. Speakers, amps, pre/pro, DVD-player, even furniture! That's why I can afford all this stuff. 100% credit on everything I want to upgrade.

It ''pays'' to build a relationship with 1 dealer that knows you well... He knows I don't shop around, and I send him alot of friends and family, and even some of my customers. Don't ask me how he can do it, but he simply do it. He told me he does this to all the good customers. It's the only way he can fight backs the internet competition. He NEVER do this 100% credit to someone confronting him with a receipt or a price from the internet. 8)

Comment

• vsarathy
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2003
                                                                                          • 53

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by levesque
                                                                                          You won't believe it by I just received my new Sony F828 this morning! Already sold the 717 to a friend...
                                                                                          Gee whiz! You sure are an upgrade addict !!
                                                                                          That camera has just started shipping and even renowned reviewers like Phil Askey at dpreview.com haven't got their hands on it yet but you do 8O
                                                                                          Personally, I would have invested that money in a Canon EOS-10D but I guess that's a topic for another discussion in a different forum.
                                                                                          Viji

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"