• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runahue
    • Jul 2011

RB-991 vs RB-1080

Hello my friends.
    I am Rubén from Spain.
    I own one Rotel RB-960BX around 20 years and i am really happy.
    I want upgrade it and i am thinking in a used RB-991 or RB-1080 power amplifier.
    My question is: Are them the same amplifier (991 without 12v trigger) ?
    My 960BX has worked very hard and is time of a new PA.

A lot of thank's
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

Are them the same amplifier (991 without 12v trigger) ?
    Yes, but you can't use the 12v trigger on the 1080, it blows the fuses if you do. I own one and speak from experience.

Try to get a Rotel Michi RHB-10 first, if that fails look for the other models.

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by hurin
      Yes, but you can't use the 12v trigger on the 1080, it blows the fuses if you do. I own one and speak from experience.
      The RB-1080's problem of blowing the left channel fuse in conjunction with using the 12V trigger didn't affect all users, although I have no way of knowing what percentage of users it did affect.

I owned one (so am also speaking from experience), and I turned it on and off daily via 12V trigger for several years without any problem before it was sold. I knew 3 other people with the same amplifier who also never had any problem using the 12V trigger.

Perhaps it has something to do with the speaker load. Mine was always connected to 4 ohm speakers that never dipped below 3.5 ohms and my speaker cables had relatively low capacitance. But the problem did exist under the right conditions. For those that did have the problem, it happened with all of the releases through the model's existence, the original model with red and black speaker posts, the next release with clear posts and the final release with 2 pairs of clear posts on each channel.

Steve

Comment

• runahue
        • Jul 2011

I like 991 and 1080 becouse balanced input and 200w rms.
        I think new Rotel PA hasn't balanced input.

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by runahue
          I like 991 and 1080 becouse balanced input and 200w rms.
          I think new Rotel PA hasn't balanced input.
          Yes, they omitted the XLR inputs on the new amplifiers. But to be fair, the RB 991/1080 amplifiers themselves weren't balanced, only the XLR input which was converted to single-ended internally within the amplifier.

Therefore it didn't have the normal +6dB gain that true balanced amplifiers have, although there might have been some advantage if you had very long cables.

Steve

Comment

• runahue
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by srb
            Yes, they omitted the XLR inputs on the new amplifiers. But to be fair, the RB 991/1080 amplifiers themselves weren't balanced, only the XLR input which was converted to single-ended internally within the amplifier.

Therefore it didn't have the normal +6dB gain that true balanced amplifiers have, although there might have been some advantage if you had very long cables.

Steve
            A lot of thank's for your clarification Steve.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"