X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paolo137
    • Apr 2011

Opening RR 1060?

Hi everybody.
    I've just bought a new remote, so now I can try to fix the old one, which has a wide section of non-working buttons (including, alas, on-off, volume etc.).

So far I've seen only a small screw in the battery bay; Apart from that, the 1060 seems to be sealed like an oyster.

Anyone ever tried to open one of these?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You will find the 'hidden' screws under the adhesive labels.

PewterTA once posted a photo showing the screw locations, but after trying a 'search' I was still unable to locate the post.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paolo137
      • Apr 2011

Thanks a lot!

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

You’re welcome a lot! :W

BTW, when I took mine apart, I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner.
        At first it did not seem to make any difference, but a few days later, it began working like new. :huh:
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paolo137
          • Apr 2011

I'm puzzled 8O : yesterday I removed both adhesive labels (the ones surrounding the buttons, right?), but found no screws.
          Could it be we're talking 'bout two different remotes? This is mine:

(thanks again :W )

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

A picture is worth a thousand words!

You are correct, I was thinking of the 969 & 1050.
            Still, I am a bit surprised the screws are not in the same place on this remote?

Sorry I could not help.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paolo137
              • Apr 2011

Thanks all the same!
              My guess is that the covers are held in place by those internal plastic tabs that are soooooo easy to break if you don't know exactly where they are (and you don't know where they are until you can actually open the thing )

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Be persistent and get the damn thing open!. Anything that was assembled can be taken apart!. I have done many remote repairs in my day!. Like above, once you get it open, take the rubber push button pad (I'll be all one piece) and wash it in warm water and dish soap. As for the circuit board, clean that with contact cleaner. The next part is once the rubber keypad is dry, take a graphite pencil and go over all the little black tabs with it in a circular motion. Re-assemble and it should work like new. If not and especially in the case of the volume control which is used the most, the black tab has worn down too much and is not making contact with the board properly anymore. At that point, you can pop off the little black tab and glue on another one, either from a different old remote or, you can pop off one from a tab on the same remote that you never use. Take it off and glue it onto the volume up or down to restore it's function.

Have fun !!
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• paolo137
                  • Apr 2011

Thanks for the hints (particularly, the trick with the pencil!).
                  I've not given up, but I need to be in a very zen state of mind to try and open it: wife and kids out of range, and the will to accept the possibility of breaking the cover.
                  What's most annoying is that the remote used to work fine. Couple of yeas ago I had the rsx 1057 serviced, and shipped the remote along with the unit, so they could use it for quick setting and testing.
                  When it all came back (7, I mean seven, weeks later), the receiver was ok, and the remote had a dead side. :evil:

I was so eager to put it back to work that I kept it like that. Shouldn't have. The new one cost me 120 € (and it was quite a bargain).

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Noooooo.......You can get other remotes that can operate Rotel gear. The "One for all" kamelion series of learning remotes was or is really great for that as they come with built in 'modems'. You call in the service center and tell them the make and model number of the unit you wish to operate and then they give you some instructions and buttons to press on the remote, you put the phone close up to the remote and the service center 'teaches' the remote via the modem the functions of the Rotel. After that, you punch in a 4 digit code and you are off and running. I swear by these remotes and they are completely backlite and touch sensitive. I have never had a problem with them and have an extra one in my cabinet for when my main one gives up the ghost. They are NOT expensive!.

Comment

• paolo137
                      • Apr 2011

Uhm... :unsure:
                      I've had some bad experiences with universal remotes. The 1060 itself is universal/learning, but I use it only with the receiver (once bitten... :roll: )

OT: yesterday evening my dvd player died. Will have to replace it, but don't know wheteher to go blu-ray or not (my displays being all 720p-limited). Think I'll put off the fixing attempt of the remote until I fill that ugly gap in my hifi column... :B

Comment

• asacam
                        • Mar 2003

opening the re-1060

Originally posted by paolo137
                        Uhm... :unsure:
                        I've had some bad experiences with universal remotes. The 1060 itself is universal/learning, but I use it only with the receiver (once bitten... :roll: )

OT: yesterday evening my dvd player died. Will have to replace it, but don't know wheteher to go blu-ray or not (my displays being all 720p-limited). Think I'll put off the fixing attempt of the remote until I fill that ugly gap in my hifi column... :B
                        Hello, I know this is an old thread, but did you ever figure out how to open this thing?

Comment

• hurin
                          • Sep 2009

These ugly things are the reason I got the Harmony One from Logitech.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

I ended up getting a Logitech Harmony 650 years ago & never looked back since.:T
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kay
                              • Apr 2016

Okay Bill and anyone else who sees this in 2016, the Volume Up button does not work on my RR-1060, and I watched part of a YouTube video on checking the sensor on any remote, which is working. Then of course the person just uses a screwdriver to open a remote from the side. How can I clean the inside or do anything to get this remote to work. "ON" switch please is cute, but I'm tired of going to the RSX-1057 to change the volume. I can't afford another receiver so it's fix this, or chuck the whole thing when I'm fed up enough. (The thought is unbearable.) I realized that I should have tried to clean my Harmony MX-900 remote contacts 2 years ago when it stopped working altogether, but I was working long hours (tech writer in IT software by the way) and after letting it sit for about a year (to be dealt with later), I trashed it. It had been repaired under warranty once before but now it was long out of warranty. I should have tried to clean it at least. It didn't occur to me frankly.

How do I get this thing open?

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Pop the batteries out of the battery well and remove the screws that are in there. After that, and in my many years experience of repairing remotes, the rest of it is basically 'snapped' together. Getting it to 'un-snap' is usually a bit of a challenge and will cause some cosmetic damage to the side seams of the remote. You will need a flat, thin tool to pry it open. However with some persistence, it WILL open.

After that, clean the touch pad and circuit board as I indicated above and simply re-snap the thing back together.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Hi Kay.

Dan has good instructions there.
                                  anytime you run into resistance, look for a hidden screw that you may have missed.
                                  i know that after cleaning, in my experience, it has taken a day or two for the pads to start making reliable contact on some of the buttons.

still, the best solution i have yet found is the Harmony remote.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

One last note that has come to mind. Most of the time I have succeeded in opening remotes has been prying at the top or the bottom of it. Once that section starts to open, you move your prying tool towards the middle to finally pop it open.

I have the RR-1060 and I've noticed that once sliding off the battery door you can see 'slots' at the bottom section. I would start my prying there !! Bonne chance !

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by madmac
                                      After that, clean the touch pad and circuit board as I indicated above and simply re-snap the thing back together.
                                      You can even pop all the plastic and non-electronic parts of a remote in the dishwasher (though with the Rotel remote I recall they had a stick on label so maybe not such a good idea).

PS. I accept no responsibility if this doesn't work with your remote control and makes things worse!

Comment

• kay
                                        • Apr 2016

Hi, I need to look for the screws under battery compartment. If you do a search for people trying to open the RR-1060, many have tried everything that seems logical. I tried prying it open from that slot and so did others. I will look for the hidden screws in the battery compartment and try to get it open later today. I did try unsuccessfully ceaning the Volume buttons with alcohol (a little extra) without opening the remote and hoped that might loosen up something.

Once again, Bill would rather have me throw the remote in the trash. Glad to see he's still around. Ugh! Thanks for trying to help everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"