X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Got my New RDV 1060

After many questions and comparisons I got the RDV 1060 today. I'm not experienced in writting reviews, but I am going to try my best to answer the questions for you that i was asking before deciding on the RDV 1060.

I found it hard to find what other dvd players the RDV 1060 compared too (especially denon) when looking online, but thanks to the info from my dealer and listening here is what I found.

Sonically compared to the Denon 2910 and 3910 the RDV 1060 is better. Definately better then the 2910, and arguably equal to or better then the 3910.

As far as video quality the 3910 is a hair better, but since I use a DVDO iscan HD to do the de-interlacing my RDV 1060/iScan HD smokes the 3910, but that my not be very relavent to many others.

I will post a picture soon, but I have to say that the thing looks spectacular sitting in my Bang and Olufson AV rach which is made of black rubber and Stainless steel, next to my black B&W FPMs....its amazing. The DVD A which im listening to now is much better then I hopped for, but for some reason the player freezes and creates pink noise on some menues...Im thinking that maybe its due to multi channel not being supported on some ares of the disc!?!?

I know this is more of an audiophile forum, but I have said it once and ill say it again...the equipment should look as good as it sounds, and ill happily pay extra for that.

One questions. I am using the cheap analog interconnects that came with it for DVD A...Most feel cables are mainly snake oil, but I have read that good interconnects for DVD A can make a difference...true?

Cheers, thanks for your help making the decision.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

There are certain DVDA's out there that have issues on the 1060 (and other players). Post em up and see if anyone else has had issues. Might call Rotel and see if they're seen it and/or know any work arounds.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
      There are certain DVDA's out there that have issues on the 1060 (and other players). Post em up and see if anyone else has had issues. Might call Rotel and see if they're seen it and/or know any work arounds.

Kevin D.
      interesting. I noticed it on:

Seal-Best 1991-2004
      Best of REM-1988-2003

the only two I have played so far. I will call Rotel Monday and post their response.

Comment

• IntegrateMe
        • May 2004

FYI- I get an occasional DVD-A glitch on my Denon 3910.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
          I know this is more of an audiophile forum, but I have said it once and ill say it again...the equipment should look as good as it sounds, and ill happily pay extra for that.
          Rest assured that many here would agree with you, myself included. However, if the reproduction of sound from one piece is significantly better than another yet lacks a little in the eye-candy department, then an exception to the "rule" might be worth it.

Congrats on your purchase.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
            Rest assured that many here would agree with you, myself included. However, if the reproduction of sound from one piece is significantly better than another yet lacks a little in the eye-candy department, then an exception to the "rule" might be worth it.

Congrats on your purchase.

you are right. its the significantly better which is the subjective part i guess.

Rotel should sell empty rotel cases that you can place other components in so no matter what you have its store in nice cases. Just have the front flip down so you can access it via remote etc...

Comment

• Pieter
              • Jan 2005

Rotel should sell empty rotel cases that you can place other components in so no matter what you have its store in nice cases. Just have the front flip down so you can access it via remote etc...
              A wolf in sheep's clothing, or mutton dressed as lamb?

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Well I have been playing it a bit and can post some more info on the video side. I have the RDV 1060 running through an iscan HD which sends 1024x768P to my HD plasma via VGA. I ran DVE today and found that the DVD player can not produce "below black levels". I went to my dealer thinking something was wrong and after trying theirs found that it is just something with the player.

I was a little concered at first because my Denon DVD 800 (4 years old) had no problem with that and thought there would be no way the 1060 could be inferior. The dealer said that its the overall processing that is important, and going below black levels isnt inportant escpecially since digital displays cant produce it anyway. He said rotel is concerned with the over all cinema look of the video. I will call rotel monday and get their input.

It may be becuase I only use DVD players for 480i becuase of my iscan doing all the work, but I dont see to much difference in the 1060 and my cheap Denon 800 in the video so far....i guess no real advances has been made in that area of video.

anyone else use an external processor with their Rotel DVD player?

Comment

• DelRay
                  • Jun 2004

Congrats on your new player. Are you going to be using it to listen to cd's also? If so, what do you think? Thats one beautiful piece of equipment. You rock! :T

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DelRay
                    Congrats on your new player. Are you going to be using it to listen to cd's also? If so, what do you think? Thats one beautiful piece of equipment. You rock! :T
                    The nice thing for me is that CDs do sound better from the 1060 then my old denon. The wife even notices the difference. Since I havent spent too much time auditioning hich end CD players like the 1072 I dont know what im missing. Ignorance is bliss for a while anyway.

The DACs in the 1060 for 2 CH stereo dont seem to be too much better then the ones in my RSX 1055.

The DVD-A discs sound amazing..much better then I hopped for actually.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Any way you can run the 1060 direct in progressive to see if it passes BTB? It's true it's not really important anyway as no movies will have a BTB signal, it just helps locking in the black level. As long as the NQABAB (not-quite-as-black-as-black) is just barely visible over black you should be fine.

I know on the scaler I had for a short time, there was a lot of options to crush the lowest black levels depending upon source and display. Have you checked into options on the Iscan?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Any way you can run the 1060 direct in progressive to see if it passes BTB? It's true it's not really important anyway as no movies will have a BTB signal, it just helps locking in the black level. As long as the NQABAB (not-quite-as-black-as-black) is just barely visible over black you should be fine.

I know on the scaler I had for a short time, there was a lot of options to crush the lowest black levels depending upon source and display. Have you checked into options on the Iscan?

Kevin D.

I did try running it in progressive and it did not pass, but wouldnt have left it that way if it did as the trade of wouldnt have been worth not letting the iScan do the de-interlacing.

I cant find any options in the iscan to lock in black levels. Oh well I guess its no big deal.

Thanks for the info thou.

On a side not I stuck in a DVD-A and the display said 88 24...should it have been 96 24? Are some DVD As below 96Hz or is it a setting in the RDV...i cant find it if it is.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

On a side not I stuck in a DVD-A and the display said 88 24...should it have been 96 24? Are some DVD As below 96Hz or is it a setting in the RDV...i cant find it if it is.
                          Ripped from another site:

DVD-Audio lets recording producers choose any of several sampling rates and word sizes: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192 kHz, coupled with 16-, 20- or 24-bit words.
                          It depends upon how much space they have and want to use. I've seen some 192 24 stereo DVDA discs..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Ripped from another site:

It depends upon how much space they have and want to use. I've seen some 192 24 stereo DVDA discs..

Kevin D.

I see...yea my Frank Sinatra DVD A is 192 24.

I have invested some time to satisfy some of my curiousity. I hooked up my Denon 800 and my RDV 1060 to my iscan HD to do an AB comparision. I played Starwars IV in both at the same time and switched back and forth between them. I can now say with certainty that the RDV 1060 out performs the Denon. Again no de-interlacing was being done by the DVD players so this is just a comparison of a 480i signal. The best way for me to describe the difference is the Reds seemed more Red and there seems to be less background noise on flat color scenes.

I kinda of wish i had some more DVD players to do more comparisons

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"