X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paolo137
    • Apr 2011

Rotel HT system: pre or receiver?

Hello everybody!
    I'm an Italian Rotel enthusiast and I'm looking for advice on my HT system.

Currently I have a RSX-1057, plus a RB 971 mk II power amp. I use it to drive a 6.1 system (front: 2 bookshelf speakers rated at 80W). Main use is HT (70%), but I appreciate a good stereo session every now and then. The 2-channel power amp is necessary because te RSX can power only 5 channels; furthermore it seems to me that it improves the sound, especially in pure stereo mode.

Recently I have found a cheap RB 976 mk II (6 channels x 60w or 3 channels x 150W) and I'm wondering how to use it to its best.
    First option would be to go for a pre-processor, in the RSP line; in this case, would I have an improvement with a 1066 or should I go straight for a 1068/1069? (1098 and 15_ series are out of budget...).
    My second option to use all the pre-amp section of the RSX, and link it to (both?) the power amps, but I don't know if that would make much sense.

Please also consider the following:

- at present time I do not have a blu-ray player. This is due to come in the near future, when I'll upgrade my video section to full HD. Nevertheless, I believe that the center back speaker is a plus even with 5.1 sources.

- I'm also willing to change the front speakers with two towers, as soon as I manage to rearrange the furniture in my HT room. I'm not a fan of loud music/effects, so I'll go looking for an average set of speakers (unless I can put my hands on a pair of Martin Logan, that is! In this case I might use 4 of the channels of the 976, bridged to 150W, to drive them)

- finally, I do not link my video sources to the receiver: I believe in connecting the video signal directly to the tv set/projector, so I don't really need a receiver/pre with a top notch video processor.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Any suggestion welcome!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I have the RSX-1057 and love it for both HT and music. I find it's 5CH Stereo mode very pleasing for music!. If you want better than that sound wise, you'll have to go separates. I'm really not sure about what question your asking though??.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

paolo137,

First of all, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here. :T

You ask good questions.

* You can definitely use the RB976 to run your center and surround speakers. This will improve overall system performance and soundstage. Later, then you get a blu ray player, having better amplification will be appreciated in this format.

* You can definitely consider getting a pre-amp to replace your receiver. Of your choices, I would look for a good deal on a 1068/1069. I had one and they are quite nice. Again, overall system performance will improve. Across all areas: soundstage, bass, details, dynamics, etc.

* you mention a possible speaker upgrade. Speakers are the single biggest upgrade that can be done. I love tower speakers, and they are very good for both HT and especially stereo. What speakers are you considering getting?

If you have pictures, please post.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 15 April 2011, 07:00 Friday.

Comment

• paolo137
        • Apr 2011

Thanks everybody!
        Sorry, no pics of my system.

As for the speakers, now I run a pair of Indiana Line Arbour 4.04.They're made in Italy, and they have a solid reputation for value-for-money (don't know if they're sold in the US, though). Should I upgrade, I think I would go for their top series (Musa/Tesi).
        As I said, the only hi-end speakers that can make me drool are electrostatic, but (apart from the price: IL, 700€ new, ML Aerius, used, over 1300!), I'm a bit scared about the positioning, which can be pretty difficult, as you know. Besides, I wonder if the 976 in bridged mode would handle them.

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

In regard to the RB-976 amplfier, in bridged configuration the amplifier sees half of the actual impedance, therefore it is recommended to use 8 ohm or higher impedance speakers when running in the bridged mode.

Many of the Martin Logan speakers have nominal impedances of 4 ohms and can dip to 2 ohms or below, and can present a challenging load even to a non-bridged amplifier. It would not be recommended to run these with an amplifier in bridged mode.

Steve

Comment

• paolo137
            • Apr 2011

Thanks, Steve: that's it for the ML, then!

I think I'll start driving the center and surrounds with the 976 (not bridged), using the pre/outs of the rsx.
            In the meanwhile, I'll be looking for a 2nd hand RSP 1068!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"