X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottMc
    • Jan 2008

Stereo Image Question

Question on setting up an Onkyo TX-SR805:

I’ve had my receiver for about two weeks now. It sounds great for movies, but when listening to music the stereo image is off center to the left. For example, the person singing does not sound like they are in the center of the sound stage, they sound like they are on the left side.

The same problem happens when listening to a CD or to the music cannels on DirecTV.

Initially, I used the automatic speaker setup with the microphone, but when I looked at the speaker levels they didn’t look right. So I used my sound-level meter to set the speaker levels manually.

I’ve tried adjusting the levels of the main channels, but this doesn’t seem to help.

Other things I’ve tried:

Listening to several different CDs and several different DirecTV music channels.

Plugging the right speaker into the left channel, and left speaker into the right channel. Then the sound stage was off to the right.

Plugging the surround speakers into the main channels and listening to the music facing the back of the room.

Listening to CD’s in my DVD player – using a co-axial digital out, and using an optical digital out.

I’ve tried Stereo, Direct, and Pure Audio modes on the receiver.

Nothing I’ve tried seems to solve the problem.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Scott

ps.

Also, I forgot to describe my system:
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Main speakers: Energy C6
    Surround speakers: Energy Take 5

My old receiver is a Yamaha DSP-A1. It’s about 9 years old now and I’ve enjoyed it immensely, but it’s been having problems lately, which is why I’m replacing it. It had very nice stereo imagery with my speakers.
    Last edited by ScottMc; 03 January 2008, 17:28 Thursday. Reason: Add system description
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Speaker connections out of phase? I believe the Onkyo recievers have color coded speaker terminals. Try reversing the hook-ups at the speaker. Possibly the automatic speaker set-up was trying to compensate for some acoustic issues in your room/set-up? If reversing your speaker leads doesn't fix it I would try the automatic setup again and go with what you hear , rather than what "looks right". My $.02
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I'd say first thing first, check and double check that you don't have the + - crossed on one of the speakers...it's something silly but it's happened to me before when in a hurry or not paying attention.

I'd also try testing stuff like, plug your DVD player in with the analog cables and set the receiver to DIRECT mode so that it does no processing... and see if the sound is still off.

Along with that I'd reset the speakers distances to be equal (ie 8.0ft for both) and make sure the sound is set for both speakers at 0.0dB. Then just see what happens on the different sources.

Also so there was a Mono feature where it mixes both L&R and outputs them to either the L/R or C... you could use the mono mode and output it to your speakers and see if it sounds the same.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide, ScottMc!

On top of the info given, it is very important to have "equal" symetry with the left and right speakers. Setting the electronic speaker distances can only take you so far. For proper stereo to occur, the two mains must mirror one another exactly on the front plane. As well as to your listening position. I'd be willing to bet, you sit a tad closer to the front left speaker. Get your tape measure out to be sure.

Also, toe-in or lack there of could be the problem. If toe-in is used, again, symetry is important. If the left speaker is closer to a boundry, that well would contribute to the unbalance.

Let us know if any of the recommondations worked out for you.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

He said he swapped speaker wires to flip-flop the left-right signals and the off-center image flip-flopped as well. That should rule out placement, room, and seating issues. Gotta be in the receiver some where.

Kevin D.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Good point Kevin. I missed that part.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ScottMc
              • Jan 2008

Last night I recalibrated the system...

Hello Everyone, Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Last night I recalibrated the system, however, I didn’t read all of your suggestions until this morning. So, I need to try a few more things tonight, based on your feedback.

I did have some success last night, but I’m not completely happy yet.
              I ran the automatic speaker setup (Audyssey) with eight test runs. Then I listened to some music, and tried several different CD’s. The stereo image was a little better, but still not centered.
              Next I checked the Audyssey speaker levels with my sound meter. The levels were pretty good, but I fine-tuned them a little more.
              I also noticed that too much base was coming from the right speaker. Maybe this is because Audyssey detected that my subwoofer is on the left side. Now that I think about it, I can’t remember which listening mode I was using at the time. It shouldn’t use the equalizer if I was in Pure Audio mode. Anyway, I switched the equalizer to “Off”, instead of “Audyssey”.

Maybe I’m old school, but with the results I’ve seen so far, I don’t completely trust the Audyssey speaker setup.

After all that I listened to some more music, and I ended up with the Phantom of the Opera CD, because I was looking for something with well-defined voices. I’m not sure that is the best test CD, so tonight I will look for some other choices. Anyway, the stereo image was better, and it did seem pretty much centered. However, the stereo image was not as sharp and defined as I am used to with my Yamaha.
              Am I expecting too much from a home theater receiver? Also, this is my first experience with Onkyo, so I’m not sure what to expect from them. It sounds great for movies, but can I also expect good two-channel stereo?

Tonight I will measure the distance to each speaker and make sure the main speakers are equally spaced.

Thanks again,

-Scott

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Onkyo does decently well with the stereo/2ch listening. if there is something wrong, it's either in the configuration or in the unit itself.

I don't tend to ever use automatic setup due to the fact that I can manually set it up better and almost quicker myself. lol
                -Dan

Comment

• ScottMc
                  • Jan 2008

Problem Solved!

Hi Everyone,

I am very happy now! The stereo imagery and detail are very good.

I measured the distance to each speaker with a measuring tape, and I also made sure my main speakers were equally spaced.
                  The distances calculated by the automatic speaker setup were off quite a bit for the front speakers, but they were correct for the rear speakers.

Here is a summary:

Started out with the automatic speaker setup.

Turned the equalizer from “Audyssey” to “Off”.

Checked the speaker levels with a sound level meter and adjusted as needed.

Measured the speaker distances with a tape measure and updated the distance settings on the receiver.

Made sure my main speakers were equally spaced.

Now the stereo image is centered. Detail, depth and imagery are good.

Thanks!

-Scott

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Glad to hear you are able to enjoy you system again!

regards,
                    John

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Good quality sound system........~$3000 & up.

High-tech gizmos and their marketing hype.......Relentless.

Incompetent, quota motivated sales people and audio stores.........Prolific.

A little time spent researching and experimenting with Speaker Placement & Room Effect.........Priceless!

Congratulations, Scott......... and Kudos to everyone who helped him.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

Another happy music listener...

All in a days work for Team HTGUIDE! :T
                        -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          Incompetent, quota motivated sales people and audio stores.........Prolific.
                          In an earlier life I was a quota motivated sales person in the computer industry (and competent I like to think) so these days I have some sympathy for quota motivated sales people.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Yeah, but you just said it, you weren't incompetent bigburner...

There's a very big difference with that one word in there or not.
                            -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                              ..........I have some sympathy for quota motivated sales people.
                              As do I, BB. It's the competency issue I have the problem with.
                              And for the record, AFAIC, you have demonstrated your competency with every post. :T
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                As do I, BB. It's the competency issue I have the problem with.
                                And for the record, AFAIC, you have demonstrated your competency with every post. :T
                                That's very generous of you to say so wkhanna.

Today I went to the funeral for a special man who died a few days ago aged 92. The highlight of the service (and the entire day) was being seated by chance in the church transept where I sat as a choir boy 43 years ago and singing traditional hymns standing next to my 17 year old son who was a choir boy himself until about a year ago. Neither of us is religious but we both love singing hymns. My son has a very nice voice, which is better trained than mine. It was a special moment for me.

Anyway, enough of that. Life is good.

Nigel.

Comment

• ScottMc
                                  • Jan 2008

Singing...

Hi Nigel,

That is an awesome experience to have with your son. Hopefully it will be an experience he will always remember: Singing in the church transept with you.
                                  Those are the types of memories I treasure most about my father.

Thanks for sharing that,

-Scott

Comment

• dknightd
                                    • Mar 2006

Does your Onkyo allow you to bypass all of its built in speaker delay, and other, settings? If you can just run it straight in and straight out it *might* sound better. Just a thought. Glad you are happy with what you have done so far. My experience has been that the less DSP the better for a two channel setup.

Comment

• ScottMc
                                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by dknightd
                                      Does your Onkyo allow you to bypass all of its built in speaker delay, and other, settings?

Yes it does have a “Direct” mode, a “Pure Audio” mode, and a “Stereo” mode.

Here is the description of these modes from the owners manual:
                                      In Pure Audio mode, the display and video circuitry are turned off, minimizing possible noise sources for the ultimate in high-fidelity audio reproduction.

In Direct mode, audio from the input source is output directly with minimal processing, providing high-fidelity reproduction. All of the source’s audio channels are output as they are.

In Stereo mode sound is output by the front left and right speakers.

When I am listening to a CD, I can’t hear any difference between these three modes.
                                      Stereo mode might use the equalizer, except that I have the equalizer turned off.

It has some DSP modes that sound pretty good, but I prefer the Stereo mode for listening to two-channel stereo music.

I’ve been having fun listening to different CD’s, music, movies, etc. Since this receiver is new to me, I like to listen to music that I’m familiar with so I can see how it sounds on the new system. I’ve been very happy now that it’s configured correctly.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"