X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TYR
    • Jun 2007

RB-1090 with (much) smaller amp for other channels

Hi,
    I can get a good deal on a RB-1090, but ...
    It will be used to drive KEF Q7 main speakers (rated 175W), ... am I going to hurt them or is it always good to have a lot of power on tap?

The rest of the 7.1 setup will (for now) be driven by a RB-976 (6*60W) ... will the main speakers be much louder than the rest, or will I be able to get the levels correct with a RSP-1068.

I want the 1090 for stereo listening (much more important to me than the home theatre stuff), but I still want the HT side of the complete system to function.

I also have a RB-980 (2*120) ... for what it's worth
    ... and a second RB-976, but I would like to use that on my second system, so I don't really want to go down the 6*150W option using both 976's in bridged mode.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hendrik
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

You will notice a difference when you watch dynamic movies like Star Wars. The main amp will overpower your multichannel amp. But during normal listening, it will not make much difference.

I have installed higher powered front amps and lower powered surround amps with less then desired results. I have had some high end customers who wanted there 2 channel experience to be out of this world and just wanted to have surround as a bonus.
    Get the 1090 then look to get a RMB1095 down the road, it will keep up with the 1090 much better. Honestly the best thing to do is use a RMB1095 for 5 channels and add a RB1080 for 7.1 using the rb1080 in front if you have a pair of 2 channel listening speakers.

Good luck with your system.

Comment

• TYR
      • Jun 2007

Thanks, I also figured I should rather get a 1080 for stereo purposes, but now I can get a 1090 (still in perfect condition) for two thirds of the price I would have to pay for a new 1080 ...

Comment

• mike c
        • Dec 2005

2/3's of a 1080?? get it! you can always level match the channels.

Comment

• Iggurk
          • Jun 2006

go for the 1090 in front, the 1080 won't improve anything compared to a 1095.

1090 front and 1095 others = perfect fit.
          1080 front and 1075 others work also well.

Comment

• UFObuster
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Iggurk
            go for the 1090 in front, the 1080 won't improve anything compared to a 1095.

1090 front and 1095 others = perfect fit.
            1080 front and 1075 others work also well.
            "perfect fit" looks like a great system...and you could not go wrong....
            However, I use the 1080 for my front 2 channels and for 2 channel music and the RMB 1075 for the center and surrounds in HT mode. Personally, I think 200 watts in all 5 channels is overkill, but this is subjective depending on room and speakers.
            My system is all Klipsch...RF7 front, RC7 center, and RF5 surround. Note that these are very efficient and I don't do a "scatter" speaker for surrounds. I like the direct radiating for all 5 channels, the RF5 being a smaller version of the RF7 tower (I use an RC-35 back channel in 6.1 occassionally). Using direct radiating all around also improves the musicality of the system for SACD and concert DVDs. The wattage mismatch 200vs125 is not an issue with these speakers when doing good level matching with an SPL meter. My main point is that different wattages would not matter if used intelligently. In fact, it may be more sensible and economic. You need to remain focused on the overall system output.
            UFObuster, an audio gourmand....some is good, more is better, and too much is just about right.
            Rotel RSP-1068, RB-1080, RMB-1075, RT-1084. Denon DVD-3910. Klipsch RF7,RC7,RF5,RC-35,RSW10.

Comment

• TYR
              • Jun 2007

Hi All,
              Thanks for all the advice. Most of you guys will probably not view it as a real "good deal", but we really pay double what we should in South Africa for Rotel gear. I got the RB-1090 (just have to go and pick it up still) for R10000 ($1460) ... but seeing that it retailed for R27000 ($3942) and that the best deal I could get from a supplier was R22000 ($3212) for a demo, it is not bad.
              The RB-1080 retails for R15600 ($2277) and after the usual discount it is R14000 ($2044).
              I have KEF Q7 floorstanders ... iQ6c centre ... iQ8ds dipole surrounds ... and iQ1 rears
              that is the 7.1 setup, but then for 5.1 (or rather SACD and DVD-A), I move the iQ8ds connections to a set of iQ3 direct radiating surrounds ... ie. iQ8ds and iQ1 does 7.1 and the iQ3 does 5.1
              Now I must just start looking out for a nice deal on a RB-1095, R27700 or about $4000 in SA

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"