X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pr2244
    • Jul 2014

RC-972 and RSP-976

Hello everyone -

My friend recently purchased a new house and is swapping out the existing Home Theater gear with a new setup. He offered some of the old components to me. Included in this group are a couple of Rotel pieces - RC-972 and RSP-976.

I'm not very schooled in audio/video gear but know that my current simple setup could use an upgrade. For instance, my existing "home theater" is a nice flat screen hooked up to an older receiver that does not have remote control functionality and the sound is from 2 large stereo speakers from the 80's.

I poked around looking for information on these components but remain a bit confused. It started with the names . . . "Stereo Control Amplifier" "Surround Sound Processor". I thought I had received an amplifier (or two).

Here is what I could use some clarity/advice/opinion on:

1. Both of these components are pre-amplifiers - and need an amplifier to function - correct?

2. The difference between the two is that the RSP-976 is targeting a video setup with surround sound - correct? So potentially, I could use the RSP for my "home theater" and use the RC else where for an audio setup. I'm not sure I really need surround sound, but hopeful the RSP could provide an upgrade on what I have.

3. It seems both of these components are several years (decades?) old - so want to know if newer components provide better quality and are reasonable in price (like DVD players that have dropped so much in price.) Part of me would like to put these to use and I like the "free" part - even though I'll have a purchase an amplifier or two.

4. Speaking of amplifiers . . . I know that I don't need a matching Rotel amplifier, but are there any older Rotel unit that are reasonably priced that would be a good match for these units?

I sense I'm making some statements above that are in conflict (i.e. - I like free but am looking for recommendations on one or maybe two amplifiers). oh well. I guess, in a nutshell - I'd like to put these to use, unless it doesn't make sense. And I could use a makeover for both my audio and video areas and if these components are still considered good - it would be fun to incorporate them.

Any advice or clarification is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Paul
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"