X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jive Dadson
    • Dec 2010

RSP 1066 - tape loop?

This feels like a dumb question, but after spending I-don't-know-how-long just trying to figure out how to adjust the left/right balance, maybe not.

Is there a way to put an equalizer into a tape loop or external processor loop, and if so how?

Do I select TAPE for LISTEN and CD (or whatever) for RECORD? That's unintuitive as heck, but I think I've convinced myself that it would work. Also, there appears to be no way to change LISTEN and RECORD from the remote without going through the OSD. True?

Thankee.

P.s. Rotel, if you are interested, for ten bucks I could design a front panel and remote control layout that wouldn't drive Luddites such as myself barking mad.
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Jive Dadson
    This feels like a dumb question, but after spending I-don't-know-how-long just trying to figure out how to adjust the left/right balance, maybe not.
    The Left/Right speaker balance can only be adjusted from the OSD Test Tone menu as a global setting by adjusting individual speaker levels (within the limited adjustment range).

Is there a way to put an equalizer into a tape loop or external processor loop, and if so how?

Do I select TAPE for LISTEN and CD (or whatever) for RECORD? That's unintuitive as heck, but I think I've convinced myself that it would work.
    Using the TAPE loop should work to connect an equalizer, but only analog signals are available at the TAPE OUT jacks, so you wouldn't be able to use this equalization setup to equalize your digital sources.

Also, there appears to be no way to change LISTEN and RECORD from the remote without going through the OSD. True?
    According to the Rotel manual, "The analog source signal available for recording at the TAPE outputs is selected with the REC button on the front panel (or the ZONE button on the remote) ....."

But it would seem because of the analog-only source limitation as well as the akwardness of choosing the RECORD source, that it would be simpler to just insert the equalizer between the RSP-1066 Front L/R preamp outputs and the power amplifier inputs.

Steve
    Last edited by srb; 17 December 2010, 15:10 Friday.

Comment

• Jive Dadson
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by srb

But it would seem because of the analog-only source limitation as well as the akwardness of choosing the RECORD source, that it would be simpler to just insert the equalizer between the RSP-1066 Front L/R preamp outputs and the power amplifier inputs.

Steve
      Thanks.

The advantage of putting the equalizer in the tape loop is that it allows for using the Rotel's internal crossover to split the signal between mains and subwoofer, after running the whole signal through the equalizer. Putting it between the pre-amp and the amp would necessitate either using another equalizer for the sub, or an external crossover.

I have an old Richter Scale III, a unit that contains both a 22.5 to 125Hz equalizer and a crossover, but I am not sure its quality is quite that of the RSP 1066. I think I can hear a very slight distortion it adds to the high frequencies. If the distortion (such as it is) is in the EQ rather than the crossover, I could use it.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"