X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

Graphic Equalizer Connection to RSP-1582 for Phono

Hi, I was trying to run my turntable / Phono through an older analog graphic equalizer from my RSP-1582 and it won't equlaize the sound. I realize the RSP has a Phono Pre-Amp built into it but I would think I should still be able to equalize the sound coming out of the phono. I think I made the proper connections. The turntable wires are plugged into the "Tape" on the EQ and the Jacks from the Phono input on the RSP are plugged into "REC Out" on the EQ. The Input on the RSP is set to phono. I'm getting sound when I play a record but its not equalized. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

My bet is that the GEQ is not impedance- and gain-matched to the output of a phono cartridge. It expects a line-level signal.

Also, the RSP-1582 already has a decent PEQ built in.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• frank1203
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      My bet is that the GEQ is not impedance- and gain-matched to the output of a phono cartridge. It expects a line-level signal.

Also, the RSP-1582 already has a decent PEQ built in.
      Thank you for your reply. I wish I could use the built in PEQ on the 1582 but it only works through digital connections - not analog. With that said - do you think my connections are correct? I was reading in other forums about a "Tape loop". Not sure if the 1582 even has one or if I'm using the right inputs for my connection.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by frank1203
        Thank you for your reply. I wish I could use the built in PEQ on the 1582 but it only works through digital connections - not analog. With that said - do you think my connections are correct? I was reading in other forums about a "Tape loop". Not sure if the 1582 even has one or if I'm using the right inputs for my connection.
        I still do not understand why you need a GEQ but there are a couple of ways to do it:
        1. Buy a phono stage to put in-between the turntable and one of the line-level analog inputs on the Rotel.
        2. Put the GEQ between the front L/R ouputs and the corresponding power amps. You would want some defeat/bypass for other use.
        3. You could also digitize the turntable output and use a digital input on the Rotel.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• frank1203
          • Apr 2006

Hello and thanks again for your reply. Bottom line is - I prefer equalized music. I am not a fan of "flat" sound and like to boost certain frequencies to get that crispness and punch I am looking for. Thats what attracted me to the RSP-1582 because of the PEQ for digital formats. But I still enjoy my records and would like to improve the analog aspect for sound.

I appreciate your ideas but am not sure I understand them completely as I am strong in the technical area of wiring. The first question I had asked was - do you think my current installation is correct? I stated it in my initial post. Maybe its just as simple as I am doing something wrong. I have been able to add a GEQ to my system before the RSP-1582. My old Rotel (RSX-1056) had no phono pre amp built in so I had to purchase one externally and the GEQ was able to work at that time.

What is the easiest of your suggestions for me? Right now, I am able to use my GEQ to equalize my IPAD which is on an analog connection in the 1582. There are no issues.. My overall plan was to buy a Monoprice "A-B" switch and be able to use the same GEQ to equalize the IPAD (when on that input) and the Phono (when on that input). I had it all set up yesterday and the IPAD was perfect but you could barely hear the phono out of the speakers and I'm guessing there was some conflict with the Phone Pre Amp built into the 1582 (but maybe I'm wrong).

With this background, is there any one of your ideas that you think could work best for me? I don't want to reconfigure anything and want to make this as easiest as I can, which I thought I would have been able to do. Thanks in advance for your continued help! FRANK

Comment

• Stoney
            • Dec 2004

Use the phono pre amp you used on the 1056 between the phono and the GEQ. The IPAD output is a different level and impedance compared to the output of a Phono cartridge.
            Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
            Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
            B&W DM605 S2 Mains
            DM602 S2 Surrounds
            DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
            CC6 S2 Center.
            ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• frank1203
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Stoney
              Use the phono pre amp you used on the 1056 between the phono and the GEQ. The IPAD output is a different level and impedance compared to the output of a Phono cartridge.
              As luck would have it - I sold the Phono Pre Amp piece once I purchased the new RSP-1582 since I knew it had a built in pre amp. I still am confused at your impedance comment. Why do you think this would this work with an external phono pre amp but does not work with the built in pre amp on the 1582? Any other ideas? Do you think my current connections are correct? Thanks for your help.

Comment

• frank1203
                • Apr 2006

I still do not understand why you need a GEQ but there are a couple of ways to do it:
                1. Buy a phono stage to put in-between the turntable and one of the line-level analog inputs on the Rotel.
                2. Put the GEQ between the front L/R ouputs and the corresponding power amps. You would want some defeat/bypass for other use.
                3. You could also digitize the turntable output and use a digital input on the Rotel.
                Hello again! Re-reading your ideas.. How would I go about "digitizing" the turntable input? I tried to Google it but could find nothing. What would I need to do that?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

What is the easiest of your suggestions for me?
                  Whichever one of the 3 seems easiest to you.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• frank1203
                    • Apr 2006

Whichever one of the 3 seems easiest to you.
                    Appreciate the expert (and detailed) help!

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

You need a phono preamp or dedicated phono input because the output of a phono player is not a traditional output like you ipad or cd player. Your GEQ is only equipped to handle standard audio outputs.

Your GEQ would need a phono input on it to work like you currently have it connected. Since it doesn't, you would need to add back in a phono preamp between the turntable and the GEQ. When you do this, you would run the output to a regular input on the Rotel, not the Phono input (since you would have all ready converted it to a standard audio signal).

In the end with your A/B switch, you would have:
                      1: PHONO -> PREAMP -> INPUT A
                      2: IPAD -> INPUT B
                      3: A/B OUTPUT -> GEQ TAPE IN
                      4: GEQ REC OUT -> ROTEL AUDIO INPUT

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        You need a phono preamp or dedicated phono input because the output of a phono player is not a traditional output like you ipad or cd player. Your GEQ is only equipped to handle standard audio outputs.

Your GEQ would need a phono input on it to work like you currently have it connected. Since it doesn't, you would need to add back in a phono preamp between the turntable and the GEQ. When you do this, you would run the output to a regular input on the Rotel, not the Phono input (since you would have all ready converted it to a standard audio signal).

In the end with your A/B switch, you would have:
                        1: PHONO -> PREAMP -> INPUT A
                        2: IPAD -> INPUT B
                        3: A/B OUTPUT -> GEQ TAPE IN
                        4: GEQ REC OUT -> ROTEL AUDIO INPUT

Thank you as always Kevin! So basically I am bypassing the built in Phone Pre amp on the 1582 and using an external one. Won't the external phono pre amp have the same compatibility issue as the one on the 1582?
                        Can you recommend a good phono pre amp for me?

Thanks again. You always reply in such a way so the novice can understand and I really appreciate that.
                        Last edited by Kevin D; 31 December 2016, 18:25 Saturday.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Thank you as always Kevin! So basically I am bypassing the built in Phone Pre amp on the 1582 and using an external one. Won't the external phono pre amp have the same compatibility issue as the one on the 1582?
                          Can you recommend a good phono pre amp for me?

Thanks again. You always reply in such a way so the novice can understand and I really appreciate that.
                          Not a problem. I install this stuff for a living and most customers have less then 1% of your knowledge!

You won't run into the same issue because the preamp is external and can be placed before the GEQ. With the 1582 having it built in, there's no way to get that converted output back out to go into the GEQ. Think of the preamp and the phono input on the Rotel as audio adapters. They adapt the turntable to a standard audio output like your ipad or CD player. You can adapt the turntable with a preamp and then go direct into the GEQ. You can adapt the turntable with the Rotel input, but then the only option is to go direct out to your speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                            Not a problem. I install this stuff for a living and most customers have less then 1% of your knowledge!

You won't run into the same issue because the preamp is external and can be placed before the GEQ. With the 1582 having it built in, there's no way to get that converted output back out to go into the GEQ. Think of the preamp and the phono input on the Rotel as audio adapters. They adapt the turntable to a standard audio output like your ipad or CD player. You can adapt the turntable with a preamp and then go direct into the GEQ. You can adapt the turntable with the Rotel input, but then the only option is to go direct out to your speakers.

Kevin D.
                            Got it Thanks.

Any reasonably priced but quality phono preamps you can recommend to me?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

sorry forgot that part! I've I have no experience at all with any phono preamps. Sorry.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

sounds like a good question to post on Audio Hideout sub forum, Analog Audio....hint...hint....:W

what turn table are you using?
                                what is your budget?
                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• frank1203
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  sounds like a good question to post on Audio Hideout sub forum, Analog Audio....hint...hint....:W

what turn table are you using?
                                  what is your budget?
                                  I'm using an old Sony Linear Tracking turntable bought in 1985 that is still in pristine condition. Just got a new cartridge for it. Budget for a phono preamp is difficult to answer.. What I can tell you is that I really don't want to spend alot because I play records only about 5% of the time. I play mostly CDs, SACDs and IPAD. I don't know - Maybe $50-$100? I used to have the Rotel Phono Preamp a few years ago but sold it back to the dealer when I got the RSP-1582 since it had a phono pre amp built in.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

that is a great TT (let me know if you ever want to part with it )

what cart did you get?
                                    i will assume it is a HO (high output at around 2.0 mvolt)

some suggestions for a few options in & around your price point.

Pro-Ject

Cambridge Audio
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• frank1203
                                      • Apr 2006

that is a great TT (let me know if you ever want to part with it )

what cart did you get?
                                      i will assume it is a HO (high output at around 2.0 mvolt)

some suggestions for a few options in & around your price point.

Pro-Ject

Cambridge Audio
                                      Thank you for the phono preamp recommendations. I'll check them out.
                                      The Turntable I use is the Sony PS-X5555ES purchased in 1985.

The new cartridge I just purchased is a Grado Gold 1 moving magnet. Here are the specs. It suits my needs. I know its probably a lower end for the turntable purist, but remember I only use it about 5% of the time when I listen to music.

Frequency Response: 10-60
                                      Principal: MI
                                      Channel Separation at 1KHz: 35
                                      Input Load: 47K
                                      Output at 1KHz (5CM/sec.): 5mV
                                      Recommended Tracking Force: 1.5
                                      Stylus Type: EllipticalBR>Inductance: 45mH
                                      Resistance: 475
                                      Compliance CUs: 20
                                      Stylus Replacement (U=user): U
                                      Mounting: standard

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

thanks for the detailed specs on the cart.

that is an appropriate cart for your system, imho...... good value at a good price.

the phono pre's i listed will work for the Grado.
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                          • Oct 2007

Question... can you connect the GEQ in the "classic" method of connecting an EQ.

That is connect all your sources to the RSP1582, including connecting the phono to the phone input.
                                          You then connect the REC OUT from the RSP1582 to the INPUT of the GEQ.
                                          The OUTPUT of the GEQ is then connected to the tape input.

To listen to the Phono select Phono as the record source, then select Tape as playback source. Any analogue source connected to the RSP1582 can be EQ'd this way or to bypass the EQ select the Phono as playback source.

Never tried this but this is the old fashioned way of connecting up an EQ to an integrated system.

Of course not having a record out on the RSP1582 would prevent that method of connecting it all up...

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

thanks for the detailed specs on the cart.

that is an appropriate cart for your system, imho...... good value at a good price.

the phono pre's i listed will work for the Grado.
                                            forgot to add my preference for Low-budget & High value Schiit Mani
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"