X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_Collins
    • May 2003

Tape loop / record-out source select

Ok guys, I have a question to pose. Are there any Home Theater receivers or processors out that include the venerable, old “tape loop” function? I’m referring to the ability on older stereo equipment to select a source for recording out to the tape outputs, but still allow you to choose to listen to a different source while the recording continued on its merry way. Example, record from a CD player, while listening to the tuner or phono input. Adjusting volume, tone controls, etc., all have no effect on what is being passed out to the tape deck.

I know some early A/V receivers included this feature also, and would allow you to view one source while recording another. Example, record from laserdisc to VCR while watching and listening to a DVD, or other input. Again, adjusting volume, tone controls, etc., would have no effect on the picture or audio being output to the VCR.

To me, this is a pretty important feature, as it would allow me to actually use my 3-head tape deck as it was intended to be used (monitor off the tape the just recorded signal, including calibrating to the tape type used), and would allow me to be certain that what I thought was getting to the VCR to be recorded, was actually correct (audio and video, S-video connection, not composite).

Does anything include this feature anymore?
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello Bob, And welcome to the Guide!

I think that the tape loop is still pretty common. Though I'm not as up-to-date on rcvr/pre-pros as I used to be. I have a Pioneer 27tx. It's a 2000 model yr. It has the tape loop function.

I think that the cassette tape is still a popular (though dying) market. And mfg's will continue to support it for a few more yrs.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi ya Bob - welcome to The Guide! My Yamaha RX-V1 will allow this type of operation. I don't use it, but it can be done. :T

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

The Integra Research RDC-7 pre/pro has a Record Out feature which allows you to choose a source for recording and gives you the option of listening to it or to another source while recording. It also is flexible enough to optionally allow recording a different audio source with a given video source. (This could be useful for such things as recording "The Wizard of Oz" along with "Dark Side of the Moon".)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Uh Burke, you forgot to mention the nearly mandatory "herbal supplement" needed when viewing/recording The Wizard Of Oz and Dark Side Of The Moon together. :B

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

HI BOB, welcome to the GUIDE hope you'll stick around. My Onkyo 777 does have this feature. I've used it a couple of times it works great!!

I'm not sure if the newer ONKYO INTEGRAs would carry this feature too. I'll check it out.

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"