X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Remote Remorse

My procrastination has finally been my undoing. Knowing that my RR-969 for my RSP-1066 was on its last leg, still I balked at getting a universal learning remote.

Well tonight, it all came to an abrupt end. Despite a thorough disassembly & cleaning the 969 is toast.

I don’t see anything on ePrey & am not sure what my options are at this point. My concern is that I can not use my old remote to program a new unit. I may resort to just getting another used 1066 to have a remote so I don’t have to take my lazy arse off the couch to simply adjust the volume.

What do you guys see as my best option at this point?

Meanwhile, I guess I can look forward to reducing my cholesterol with the increase in my physical activity.

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Did you give Rotel a call and what the damage would be to see if they have any?
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

Never thought to call Rotel.

I was looking at Remotes.com.

The 969 is discontinued, 1061 is $230! The other option is $53 but I don't think it has learning and will only run the 1066.

I did find a 1060 on ePrey for $80, but I am not sure if it will work with the 1066.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

opps, double post

btw, I shot an email to Rotel re the compatibility of the RR-1060.

I’m just as curious as to how long it takes to get a reply.
        Last edited by wkhanna; 06 November 2010, 12:03 Saturday. Reason: double post
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Let me know.

I contacted Eric Preston at Audio Visions to see if they happen to have one sitting around that they want to get rid of.

I heard back from one person there that they will get in touch with him and see what they can find/price of it also.

I'm really kicking myself for not purchasing 3 or 4 of those rr-1050s when I got mine. That was a heck of a deal.
          -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

:nutkick:

Yeah, and now I am kicking you, too. :W

Thanks for checking with Eric!
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• BWzes03
              • Oct 2005

Just get a Logitech Harmony, the online database is filled with just about anything, including rotel gear. I've not touched my Rotel remote in ages.
              No learning needed, simply select all the devices you have in your stack of equipment, connect your Harmony to your PC with the supplied USB cable and click the upload button.
              Easy as pie !

I personally am using the Harmony 525, can be had for less than 40 bucks, has a storage for at least 10 devices, and per device some 5 to 12 sub-menus on the remotes display.

Comment

• Dmantis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BWzes03
                Just get a Logitech Harmony, the online database is filled with just about anything, including rotel gear. I've not touched my Rotel remote in ages.
                No learning needed, simply select all the devices you have in your stack of equipment, connect your Harmony to your PC with the supplied USB cable and click the upload button.
                Easy as pie !

I personally am using the Harmony 525, can be had for less than 40 bucks, has a storage for at least 10 devices, and per device some 5 to 12 sub-menus on the remotes display.
                Ditto,
                there is no reason on the planet earth to use the factory remotes ever. With companies like Logitech making easy to program do it yourself remotes , and the price is excellent why put you and your loved ones in a position where they have to use multi remotes? Makes no sense. Let the remote stay dead and get a Logitech.

Comment

• timjclark
                  • Apr 2009

Another vote for a Logitech Harmony. :T All of my original remotes are packed safely away in the event that I sell a unit - it comes with a pristine remote. And the convenience of one remote for the Mrs or when my parents come to visit is wonderful. I do still use the remote on my rsp-1069 when making any menu modifications, but I'm sure I could do that on the Harmony as well.
                  -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                  -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                  -Rotel: RSP-1069
                  -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                  -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                  -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• geeza
                    • Jul 2006

The best you can get is Logitech Harmony.
                    Andrzej

Comment

• Whacked!
                      • Jun 2009

I've never used any of the Harmony remotes, but I've been using a URC MX-850 for about 4 years. Fully computer programable, URC has a full database of equipment, plus you can teach them commands and program macros to your hearts content. If I need to get a new romote, I'll be checking them again. They've got fancier units that what I've got but it's been an admirable performer. www.universalremote.com Hope this helps.

Norm

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Thanks guys, I had no idea those Logitech remotes were so powerful.
                        I ordered a 650 from Amazon for $80 incl shipping, should be here next week.

AFA Rotel customer service, I got a reply early Monday, but even though my original question was if the RR-1060 was compatible with the RSP-1066, all they told me was I could order a RR-1061 for $150 & it would work with the 1066.

I had to ask a second time if the 1060 was compatible, to which the quick reply (next day) was yes.

BTW, Norm, I absolutely love your avatar :roflmao:
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

after a few days with the 650 here is a copy of an email I sent to my tech-savey audio buddy:

what's that?
                          You say you would love to stop by & help me program this M-effen god-dang @!*&$#!* fricken piece of sh_t Oh its just sooooo easy to download from your laptop on-line even your five year old could program it bull dung can't they make the buttons any smaller they should send you a microscope just so you can see the nano-sized symbols you call that back lighting if that is back lighting you must be a Chilean miner stuck one mile underground why the crap didn't I just get a used RR-1060 cuz now I miss the stupid lousy interface poor layout non-intuitive RR-969 I was so used to I'm such a Luddite piss on this new-tech-does-it-all-my-Ass I can hardly make it do just three things I want it to Remote.

I will reserve ultimate judgment till I spend some more time with it and get some expert help from a friend who is very good with this kind of stuff.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

I've heard similar bad press about the Harmony stuff. I have a "One for all" Kamelion which controls 8 devices, which you might be able to get at Radio Shack. The entire thing lights up and is really easy to see in the dark. It has a built in Modem and you call them, give them the name and model# of the gear you want it to learn. After they find the codes, they tell you to put the phone up to the remote and they download the IR data. After that, they give you the new code number and you're done!!. No computers....finding the codes etc. They do it all for you over the phone!.
                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• geeza
                              • Jul 2006

wkhanna, I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed Harmony remote. Actually I'm using 885 and I have no experience with 650. But configuration of 885 is quite flexible and intuitive. Especially I like Activity feature and Button customization. I haven't noticed any problems finding, adding my devices and composing Activities (besides one bug in Logitech servers but they fix it already). If you have any particular questions, please ask me. Maybe I could help.
                              Andrzej

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

I'll be over to help you out as soon as I can. You going to be around tomorrow night? I probably can get over to you tomorrow night. I think.
                                -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and offers for help.

Patience, perseverance and finally getting the correct model # for my digital cable box from my service provider after two tries have gotten me to the point that I am actually now able to control 90% of the functions I use with the 650. After some uninterrupted time (a rare thing with my wife in the house) to work with the interface I am starting to ‘get it’. Of course, being the typical red-blooded male, I have yet to even scan the instruction book that came with the unit.

The more I play with and use this thing the more I am starting to appreciate it. The fact that I showed my wife how she can just hit one button to get the TV to work was a plus.

A little more time and experimentation should get me to point were I think I may not regret getting this thing. But I still think the back lighting sucks and the buttons and Icons are too small, especially for my 50 plus year-old eyes.

BTW, if you notice my signature, you might expect me to be a ‘Hard Sell’ with this kind of thing. :W
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Whacked!
                                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    BTW, Norm, I absolutely love your avatar :roflmao:

Thanks much, I've allways thought Bill was an interesting character in "Bloom County" and it suits my handle as I tend to be just a little bit off or whacked as it were.
                                    Norm

Comment

• Paul_Over
                                      • Nov 2010

Sorry to jump this thread, but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one.

I have a Rotel RTC950AX Pre-amp/Tuner, and a Rotel RCD-971 CD Player, and unfortunately I don't have the remote controls for either component. I have tried a Humax learning remote, but none of the Rotel codes that they supply with the device work. Does anyone know if the Logitech Harmony will work with these components, seeing as I don't have the original remotes, so no way of grabbing the IR codes.

By the way, it might help to know that the RTC950AX Pre-amp/Tuner's original remote was a RR-904, and the RCD-971's remote was a RR-D91, although I am lead to believe that the RR-904 will control both components.

Any help/ advice would be appreciated.

Paul

Comment

• flags_mx
                                        • Aug 2010

In Logitech web page you can verify if your devices are in the current database.... I haven´t had any pproblem at all even with ie. BAT or Northstar devices more rare than Rotel.

Regards

Comment

• Paul_Over
                                          • Nov 2010

That's blinding, flags_mx. Both components are in their database, so thank you!

Paul

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Paul, no worries regarding hijacking

AFA the 650, the Logitech database & the more time I spend learning how to take advantage of the features, the more I like this unit.
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"