X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagguy
    • Jun 2009

Rotel RCX-1500 First Impression

I realize sound is a subjective thing, so I’ll try to keep this objective. I was looking to replace my Pioneer Elite SX-A9-J and matching PD-D9-J, so I thought the RCX-1500 would be a good replacement. The added benefits of internet radio via wifi, increased wattage, a DAC, and the “Rotel” name convinced me this would be a step up. I picked the RCX-1500 up yesterday and returned it today.

On taking it out of the box, it looked cheaper than it appeared on the website. The speaker wire hook ups were very cheap. Compared to those on the 1052, they are pretty bad. They aren’t the clear ones with “Rotel” on them, but the simple red and black plastic ones you see on $300 receivers. It felt light, was smaller than I expected, and it just looked cheaper than the 10 series. My overall impression of the build quality, feel, and look was that they cut corners on this one. Secondly, upon turning the unit on, the display screen looks a little different than the website. It flickers a bit when there is music playing as well. I didn’t really mess too much with the internet radio, but connecting to my wireless network was very easy and without issue. My most important concern was the 2 channel CD sound. I hooked it up to NHT Classic 3’s, with the intent to hook it up to my Classic 4’s or Mozart Grands after the initial listen. To be honest, I was very disappointed. I thought the soundstage was good enough, and the highs were okay, but the lower midrange and bass were anemic at best. Overall, the music just didn’t sound as good. I think the sound was a definite step down from the 1052 and my Pioneer Elite gear. I may have been a little impatient, but my impression was that bad that I didn’t think a good deal of improvement would justify keeping the unit.

Again, sound being a subjective thing, I think objectively I can say that the build quality and appearance were less than desired, and the sound was very thin on the low end. I took the unit back and exchanged it for a pair of B&W 683’s, which made me not want to replace my Pioneer Elite gear.
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

I have the same feeling, i heard it yesterday with the new KEF Q700 speaker. I too say it is to thin sounding in all. and the build quality is under par the rounded sides are not one piece but have buttom and a top plate and it's not as big as the rest of the 15 series.

Why can't Rotel stick with the same design througout the same series?
    I hope the new RSP 1580 have a better build quality and share the same design as the rest of the 15 series.

Comment

• Jagguy
      • Jun 2009

Glad to see I wasn't alone on that. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the 1500 did not have tone controls to adjust bass or treble.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"