X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

NAD T175HD Processor?

I'm currently using a Denon AVR-3808CI that I bought as an interim solution--replacing my previous Rotel RSP-1068--until the market 'matured' a bit for HDMI 1.3 processors. I'm at the point now where I'm getting close to making an upgrade, the main purpose being to maximize the audio sound quality for hi-rez source material (DVD-A, SACD, DTS-HD Master, and Dolby TrueHD), without losing any of the features I've gotten used to from the Denon (primarily HDMI connectivity and Audyssey room calibration).

After researching a few options, I seem to be coming back to the NAD T175HD as one of the best options currently available (yes, I know the Parasound C3 is coming soon...but I'm not sure how long I want to wait). I initially rejected the NAD for a couple of reasons, including price ($2999) and the lack of support for the newer codecs. They have since released upgraded plug-in modules that provide everything I'm looking for, and I'm at the point where the $ for the sound upgrade may be worth it for me. (They also recently released a firmware update that is supposed to fix some clicking noise issues.)

I consider my system pretty well complete otherwise (see my profile for details), but would also consider changing amps to go with the matching NAD T955 (5 x 100W). The amp, btw, is currently readily available for half its MSRP ($799), which seems like a pretty nice deal to me.

I do not have a NAD dealer too close by, so I would potentially buy from an authorized online retailer. So, I guess what I'm looking for at this point is any firsthand experience with the T175 (standard or HD). Any thoughts on this processor?
    Brad
  • kmcheng
    • Jan 2008

Hmmm.... I am not sure what you would gain with the NAD vs. the Denon. From all the reviews I came across and from my personal experience, the Denon did a very good job processing the lossless codec from Blu-ray movies.

You also already have the Rotel 1085, so I am also not sure what you will gain by going with an NAD. Are you not happy with the class D sound? If that is the case, then it would be a good reason to change things around.

IMHO, I have always considered Rotel, NAD and Denon (and perhaps some higher-end Cambridge Audio) to be of the same league. They may be slightly better than one another on some attributes, but it basically comes down to personal preferences.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Thanks for your perspective. I think it's less about being unhappy with what I currently have, and more about curiosity about what else might be out there that I might like better. I constantly go back-and-forth about whether or not it would be worth it to replace either the processor or the amp. I really do like the Denon, and yes it is very good with decoding blu-ray lossless codecs. I just have it (probably in my head) that somehow a dedicated processor would sound just that much cleaner and more open than a Denon receiver.

I do like the Rotel RMB-1085...if anything, I have also looked at the Wyred 4 Sound 5-channel Class D amp, which provides 220W x 5 over the Rotel's 100W. Unfortunately there is no real way to tell without ordering it and trying.
      Brad

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I know it's far from a unanimous viewpoint, but I believe the qualitative differences between processors/receivers lies in the analogue domain rather than the digital one. The only significant difference I could see between the Denon (or any other receiver in its range) and a processor would be in extra features (which do not necessarily affect SQ) and how the analogue side is handled. IF the Audyssey system is important, then getting the most sophisticated version available might make a difference, depending on one's room. However, I can't see how any processor/receiver can differ all that much in terms of decoding bitstream information--it's either correct, or it isn't.

Beyond that, it becomes a question of quality of parts/assembly/aesthetics--which, while worth considering, has little, if any, effect on sound quality. YMMV

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

I suppose what you say is true. Personally, I'm thinking the biggest area for improvement I would look for is in music playback. For two-channel music, I'm feeding the Denon (via analog) from my Logitech Transporter. For multi-channel music, I'm feeding PCM output from my Oppo BDP-83 over HDMI. For the latter, I'm not sure how much of an improvement (if any) would be provided by a better processor.
          Brad

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"