X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hipertec
    • Jan 2010

Rotel Popping issue

Hoping someone can help. I have a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver and when I watch dishnetwork and feeding thru the optical source (digital) of my Rotel, sometime I get a loud "POP" thru my speakers (specially the Left Front). This only happens when I am watching dishnetwork and thru optical. With RCA or Tuner, it works fine.
    Any suggestions?Love this receiver so hate to get rid of it.
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Hi there. I'm Canadian with no experience with dish network.
    However, I have read on many forums that those receivers are famous for exhibiting poping noises.

Comment

• Nuthed
      • Jan 2007

Chances are it's the Dish receiver. Do you have any other optical sources to try?
      Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
      RB980-BX driving mains
      Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
      Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
      Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
      SVS PB-12

Comment

• hipertec
        • Jan 2010

currently no other source to try.

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by hipertec
          Hoping someone can help. I have a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver and when I watch dishnetwork and feeding thru the optical source (digital) of my Rotel, sometime I get a loud "POP" thru my speakers (specially the Left Front). This only happens when I am watching dishnetwork and thru optical. With RCA or Tuner, it works fine.
          Any suggestions?Love this receiver so hate to get rid of it.

You're going to probably run into trouble with that issue!!. I started to get loud, scary 'popping' noises with my unit (Same as yours). The pops will likely get more and more frequent and then the unit will start to cut out and produce no sound at all from any source. When you shut the unit down and restart it, it will operate normally for awhile but will pop again and produce no sound once again. There are some issues with the digital processing part of the unit (specifically when the unit tries to decode the audio...ie, DTS or Dolby digital). I sent mine back under warranty, waited about a month to get it back only to discover that they did not address the issue (More popping and lost sound!!). I am now asking them to replace the unit all together and am awaiting a reply from them. Will keep you posted.

The thing that is likely happening is that you are losing the optical audio signal momentarily from your source, the Rotel resets to default processing for a moment (ie.. Pro logic 2) but then the audio signal comes back and it has to quickly go 'back' to Dolby digital creating the 'pop'. The Rotel does like to shift back and forth to different digital processing like that constantly. Eventually and apparently, it fails altogether. Try going into the input setup on the Rotel for your TV and set up the default processing from Pro logic 2 to dolby digital and see if that helps.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by madmac
            You're going to probably run into trouble with that issue!!. I started to get loud, scary 'popping' noises with my unit (Same as yours). The pops will likely get more and more frequent and then the unit will start to cut out and produce no sound at all from any source. When you shut the unit down and restart it, it will operate normally for awhile but will pop again and produce no sound once again. There are some issues with the digital processing part of the unit (specifically when the unit tries to decode the audio...ie, DTS or Dolby digital). I sent mine back under warranty, waited about a month to get it back only to discover that they did not address the issue (More popping and lost sound!!). I am now asking them to replace the unit all together and am awaiting a reply from them. Will keep you posted.

The thing that is likely happening is that you are losing the optical audio signal momentarily from your source, the Rotel resets to default processing for a moment (ie.. Pro logic 2) but then the audio signal comes back and it has to quickly go 'back' to Dolby digital creating the 'pop'. The Rotel does like to shift back and forth to different digital processing like that constantly. Eventually and apparently, it fails altogether. Try going into the input setup on the Rotel for your TV and set up the default processing from Pro logic 2 to dolby digital and see if that helps.
            Even though the problem manifests itself by causing the AVR or pre/pro to malfunction, the issue is still a source issue. You said it yourself: "........you are losing the optical audio signal momentarily from your source."

Why would you be losing your optical audio? Even with a DVD you don't totally lose the audio, it may switch from stereo to 5.1, but there should be a signal at all times.

BTW, do you have the issue when using an optical source other than satellite?

I agree that it would be nice for the processor to realize what is happening and adapt, but it just ain't gonna happen. I have DirecTV and am a member of AVS. This is an issue with almost all brands of AVR and pre/pro, including my Integra. My old Rotel RSX-972 even does it, but only recently. The bad stuff started happening coincidentally when DirecTV "updated" their feed. :evil:

Now if the OP had a DVD player to see if the problem was there as well it would point to the AVR as the problem.
            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
            RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Great Rotel Service !!

Rotel, upon me sending them a letter, agreed to replace my RSX-1056 for a refurbished RSX-1057. The shop where I bought the unit here in Montreal (Environnment Electronique) was helpful and stood behind me in my request for a replacement unit. It certainly pays to by equipment from a store which stands by their products!.

So far, the new unit works great and there's no more popping and sound cut out!!. Also, for whatever reason, this unit seems to 'sound' better than the 1056 !!?. Gotta say that I lucked out because my 5 year warranty was going to run out this November!!.

All's well and ends well.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"