X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Dish News

Dish Network now has a new lower priced HD receiver.

It's even free!!!!

I called and checked with CS and existing customers get pay $199.00

Looks like I'm gonna have a HD receiver soon arty:

Robbie
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

Robbie,

I'm always interested in DISH products, because here in Canada, our ExpressVu satellite network uses all their products (usually with an availability time lag of about half a year it seems).

I was under the impression that when the 'next generation' HD receivers were released that the analog component outputs (that presently provide the full 1080i output) would be 'dumbed down' to a lesser 480p. The DVI outputs were to be the only interface to provide full 1080i (complete with HDCP).
    The story has been that anyone with an older 6000HD receiver could continue to use it with the component outputs providing 1080i, but once they changed to a DVI receiver, they were out of luck on their analog connection. If they had an older TV that didn't support DVI - then tough.

In that regard, the rather cryptic brochure from the DISH site still doesn't make the interface resolution very clear, does it.
    It reads in part:
    "480p, 720p or 1080i resolutions supported via HD outputs."
    "HD outputs DVI-HDTV and COMPONENT or DISH DVI (DVI-D)".

So what the heck does "or 1080i" mean? It could mean all the HD outputs support 1080i or it could mean the component output supports 480p and the DVI supports 1080i. You'll have to let us know if you get one of these receivers.

What do you think "DISH DVI (DVI-D)" means. Would this be a proprietary format or is it simply DVI without copy protection for lower res programs? I wonder.

I just pulled the trigger on a pretty good deal for a PVR/DVR 5820 receiver. The PVR here is regularly $549 C$, but in the month of December, it's on sale for $150 off. Then if you turn in your old 2700 receiver they give you another $100. This makes the PVR only $299 - not bad.
    They like to get the old 2700 receivers back since they're highly sought after for easy 'cheating'. Not into that myself - I'll take the inflated $100 prize.
    Now I'll have a 5820PVR and 4700 receiver. So when they finally come out with an HD PVR, hopefully I'll finally have purchased an HDTV. I've held off on that until they finally wring out all their growing pains in this area. :roll:

brucek

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Actually some existing customers can get the new 811 for $149. Several of the folks at DBSTalk.com have already posted that they are getting the unit for $149 as well. I can get one for $149 but I just recently got a 6000u for $149 and the only difference is a 2 day EPG and the DVI outputs.

Ken, it's my understanding that the components on the new 811 will output 1080i. You can select 480p, 720p, or 1080i via the HD menu.

Your viewing source will need to be HDCP compliant to use the Dish DVI. The DVI-D is pure digital and has no analog signal included as DVI-I does.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

Thanks for clearing that up Sonnie. Where did they get the receiver for $149? Just got back from checking with the locals here and they said they can't get the deal, I have to get it through the Co.

Either way next week I'm gonna plunk down the $$$ for the receiver.

They also said this spring Dish was gonna add 23 more HD channels. I asked for specifics but they refered me to the Co. We'll have to see.

Robbie

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

I think most are calling Dish directly and Dish lines up an installer or they'll ship it to you in some cases. I don't believe you can go to a local dealer and get this deal. The local dealer might call Dish and see because he could be the one to install it.

I should clarify that the source only needs to be HDCP compliant with the 811. I don't believe the new 921 DVR needs an HDCP compliant source.

That's great news on the HD channels Robbie. I had been tossing around the idea of VOOM but don't feel comfortable with it as of right now. If you hear anything else on this please let us know. I'll keep a watch out over at DBSTalk as well and post here if I see anything.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

In other Dish news:

We presently have a 501 (35 hours single tuner PVR) and a 301 (owned by Dish). There is a offer right now for a onetime $59 install fee we can swap the 301 for a 100 hour 510. Allows us to record 2 programs at once since we have 2 separate PVRs.

Lots of deals going on now. Is this a holiday season push to go with new Xmas TV purchases, or is there some new competition I am not aware of?

BB

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Brandon, I think it's just the holiday rush as usual along with more talk about HD and more and more HD sets becoming available. People could be starting to catch on.

I do think there's some good competition for the television set though... PJ's are fast becoming affordable and more popular. Of course we see a lot of talk about PJ's on the forums but the average Joe walking into a video store use to only see TV sets and if there were any PJ's they were $5K-$10K. Now we are seeing them for less than $2K and less expensive than some RPTV's.

As far as Dish... they always seem to have some deal going on for new subscribers and have now started listening to existing subs about giving us some good deals.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• jig
                • Dec 2003

this is very timely news..

i have two questions:
                are there any dvr hd bundled receivers? i don't think any can record hd, but if i could get a HD satellite+OTA receiver (like the 811) with a dvr all in the same box, that would be outstanding.
                what is the cheapest way to include a dvr receiver in one of the hd packages? i guess my next best system (from the above) would be to replace one of the incuded 301's with a 510.

is the VOD service fee kind of like a tivo subscription?

thanks for any answers to these newb questions

-jig

Comment

• Robbie
                  • Aug 2000

are there any dvr hd bundled receivers? i don't think any can record hd, but if i could get a HD satellite+OTA receiver (like the 811) with a dvr all in the same box, that would be outstanding.
                  The Dish (912) ? is a HD DVR. I believe the cost is about $900.00

is the VOD service fee kind of like a tivo subscription?
                  Yes. I think the cost is about 10.00

Robbie

Comment

• brucek
                    HTG Expert
                    • Aug 2000

I received my new DVR and have been using it for about a week now. I have to say it's about the coolest gizmo I've ever bought.

Very easy to use, but takes a little while to get your head around being able to go backwards from 'real time' to watch something you missed.

Then you forget that you did that and only realize when the program ends 10 minutes after the hour ops:

I really like the fact that the new receiver has more memory, so it can hold a few days of program guide. My old receiver was lucky if I could see what was on two hours ahead before it had to download new quide information (painful).

I also like the ability to watch my program while the guide is on screen at the same time - my old one couldn't do this.

The search guide feature is useful too.

Now I'll have to find the time to make up a new page for my Pronto.. :roll:

brucek

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Ken... those DVR's are so nice. We've had our 508 for about a year now and I really don't know what we would do without it.

I hardly ever miss a boxing match now and all our favorite weekly shows that I don't watch in HD are recorded.

You will get spoiled.

Jig... the HD DVR that will be offered by Dish is the 921. It was supposed to be released first of December but has been delayed yet again. It could be released any day but the problem is there are so many pre-orders that it may be hard to find one anytime soon unless you get lucky. The price will be $999 initially although they may offer a special package at some point in time. If you subscribe to America's Everything Package there is no monthly fee for the DVR.

The 921 offers 2 HD tuners and a OTA tuner as well. You can record 2 HD programs at the same time while watching another. It has all the bells and whistles you can imagine and will be the ultimate HD DVR satellite receiver IMO.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"