X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geeza
    • Jul 2006

RC-1090 'unruly' IR reciever module

Hi

ex. When I try to pump the vol a little using remote, my RC-1090 won't respond or does with delay. Sometimes after while I release button on remote, my pre is rising the volume by itself in big amount. It seems to live its own independent life. This is not a remote unit problem, or doesn't seems to be. It looks funny but in fact could be quite dangerous!
    Kindly stay in hope for help
    Andrzej
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Do you have a plasma TV nearby?

Comment

• geeza
      • Jul 2006

No, I have LCD, but the problem occurs even if TV is switched off. By the way other devices responds fine for their commands.
      Andrzej

Comment

• SkyDover
        • Feb 2010

This is strange because I have the same problem when I go to turn the volume up or down, it doesn't work sometimes but if I keep trying... the volume will keep going up on it's own and I have to jump up and quickly turn it down myself before it damages the speakers going too loud. I never used to have this problems so I started researching and trying to figure it out.

I discovered that it was my new LCD T.V. It puts out a frequency that blocks the Rotel remote intermittently. When I unplug the T.V. everything works fine with no problems, it's only when the LCD is plugged in. I contacted the manufacturer and they said it has to do with the backlight in the T.V. and a known issue and wasn't sure if it will be resolved. Very stange!

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

This happened to me once with my RC-1082, or was it the wine? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the wine so this thread confirms that. I was out of my chair pretty quickly to get to the volume knob.

Nigel.

Comment

• geeza
            • Jul 2006

@SkyDover and chanlon - Thanx a lot for reliable suggestion! I realized the issue just came after I've replaced my LCD TVset from 42" with 52" one. It's true that pre responds IR commands fine when TV is switched off. I will do some observations regarding TV on/off dependency.
            Andrzej

Comment

• geeza
              • Jul 2006

So, there's no doubt that LCD TV somehow blocks IR commands. I'm wondering which way LCD is jamming IR? Is it happening via AC power line? Or maybe the backlit is emitting a kind radiation that blocks infra-red signals in the air? If we could figure out the how LCD is jamming Rotel's remote maybe the solution should be found?
              Thank you guys
              Andrzej

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Quite simple actually. The back light is emitting IR and flooding the receiver.

Depending on where the unit is located, pushing it back under a shelf above it, constructing a cardboard shield around the sensor, or varying amounts of clear tape over the sensor might help.

The proper way to fix the issue is to cover up the sensor in the front and get a LCD proof external IR receiver plugging into the remote input on the back.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

It sounds like you need to sell your rc-1090.
                  Last edited by mattburk; 01 October 2010, 19:54 Friday.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• geeza
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by mattburk
                    It sounds like you need to sell your rc-1090.
                    ...just after my dead body
                    Andrzej

Comment

• mattburk
                      • Feb 2003

well you cant blame me for trying!
                      www.mycstone.com
                      www.coverednow.com
                      www.biarenton.com

Comment

• geeza
                        • Jul 2006

..why so serious? mattburk

In future I'd like to replace my LCD for LED technology. It would help I guess. But first of all I'll try to plug an external IR receiver onto RC-1090 and keep it away from LCD following Kevin's suggestion.
                        Andrzej

Comment

• geeza
                          • Jul 2006

I've bought 36kHz ext. remote receiver ended with 3.5mm jack. It doesn't work. Probably connection are different.
                          The site is in polish, but there is connection drawing.

Guys, can you please confirm or not this wiring?
                          Andrzej

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

If that's all you purchased, you don't have enough stuff to make it work. The jack on the back is IR in, not an IR receiver port.

You need a connecting block and 5v power supply to run the receiver, and then run an 1/8" mono jack from the block to the IR input.

Technically you don't need a block. Get a 1/8" mono cable and figure out which wires are tip and sleeve. Cut the plug coming off the receiver you purchased and figure out which wire is Vcc (5v input), ground, and data (dane). Get a 5v power supply and figure out which wire is positive, and which is ground. Connect the three grounds together (PS ground, receiver ground, 1/8" sleeve). Connect PS 5v+ to Vcc on the receiver. Connect data to tip of 1/8" jack.

Kevin D.

Comment

• geeza
                              • Jul 2006

Thank you Kevin. I thought that RC-1090 gives Vcc on REMOTE EXT input, but I was wrong . I've got new more convenient idea to resolve my problem. However any other components of my A/V equipment seems to be proof from lcd IR distortion, so maybe there are lcd/plasma proof (PCB mounting) IR receiver modules on market? If so, the best solution will be replacing existing one with lcd/plasma-proof directly inside RC-1090?
                              Andrzej

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"