X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Reciever Tryouts

On Saturday I was planning on testing out a Rotel RSX-1055. But to my dismay another salesman loaned it to another person. My sales guy felt bad and loaned me a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. I wasn't in market for the Pioneer so I don't know of all the specs (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,71335,00.html). This will allow me to have a better comparison to the Rotel.

Evaluation: Pioneer has a major cool factor, Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration. Plug in the supplied microphone and let the reciever do the rest of the work. I am very impressed with the results. The sound is a lot smoother and the bass tighter. This may be due to the fact that I can set the crossover level. My Sony did not have this option, the speakers could only be set to big or small. Dolby Prologic II is great. It really helps with tv. Music and DPLII works well but the jury is still out. I did notice that there is audio bleeding on the analog ports. Overall I am glad that I was able to sample this reciever. The remote is huge and weighs as much as a brick.

4/30/03: A few other observations, FM antenna is not a F connector. It has the same type of connectors as the AM. After 4 days with this reciever, I have a good feel for its capabilities. Although it didn't knock my socks off, I can appreciate the differences to my current Sony.

This now brings me to my latest tryout reciever. The Rotel RSX-1055. When I returned the Pioneer last night, they let me take the Rotel. Which is surprising becuase it is thier floor model. I also get to keep it till next Tuesday eveing. I anxiously brought the reciever home and hooked it up to the rest of my equipment. The 1055 is beautiful and has very clean lines. The Rotel is heavier than the Pioneer even though it has 5 amplifiers .vs. 7 in the Pioneer. I have learned a lot about Rotel's product line from HTG's Rotel Forum. I calibrated my system using the test tones from the reciever. I am wondering how precies are they? One issue that I was concerned about it the "popping" sound when changing audio formats. I am not sure I have encountered this problem but I am definitely hearing a popping sound. I use The Lord of the Rings as a reference disc and when moving between the Main menu items, I hear a popping noise before the music re-starts. Problem, I don't know; Annoying, definitely. I have only had a little time with the Rotel but from what I have already heard, its knocked my socks off. The sound is very clean and clear. I can hear more subtle notes in music. The imaging is a lot more distinct. Infact, I had to walk up and make sure no music was coming from the CC........More to come.

Note: A lot of the words I am using in my evaluation had no meaning till recently. And I may not be using them in the correct context. For example, I would consider the sound coming from my Sony as being muddy. Is this right or wrong? I hope my verbage is able to convey my impressions.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Don't be temped by the darkside :LOL:

The only issue that keeps popping up about Elite receivers is the weak onboard amps..they sure look nice though :W

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Eduardo, sounds like a fun weekend. Nice that you have a dealer willing to actually loan gear. That's the exception now.

I've always liked Elite products, and they do have pretty good amps I think. Not bright at all. I've got a 24TX in my bedroom. Not quite a lexicon, but it gets the job done,

Be good to hear your take on the Rotel comparison later on...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Eduardo, Pioneer's MCACC is really intriguing. I'd LOVE to graft that capability onto my Yamaha RX-V1. Probably, so would everyone else that's ever fought with their room acoustics. Looking forward to your review of the Pioneer and the Rotel. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

The sound is a lot smoother and the bass tighter. This may be due to the fact that I can set the crossover level.
          Part of this could be the crossover, but it's more likely because you're comparing a Sony DE-series receiver to a Pioneer Elite. I'm curious as to your impressions of the Rotel when you get it.

I'm still happy with my Outlaw 1050, even though it's getting long in the tooth compared to some of the newer stuff. I'm also at risk of running out of inputs if I add anything to my system like a HD receiver or something. In my next house I'll likely go separates, maybe that super duper Rotel that's coming soon :drool:

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Eduardo
            Moderator emeritus
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Kevin
            but it's more likely because you're comparing a Sony DE-series receiver to a Pioneer Elite.
            I agree and I would hope so. My Sony DE only cost $400 versus the Pioneer at $1400 (MSRP).

Originally posted by Lex
            Nice that you have a dealer willing to actually loan gear
            They do this becuase they don't do any type of discounting. I'm hoping I can talk them down in price but I doubt it.

Originally posted by Pr@
            weak onboard amps
            MMmm interesting. I kind of made the same comment yesterday. I only have till tomorrow night to finish my eval.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

So when do you get the Rotel?

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

4/30/03: A few other observations, FM antenna is not a F connector. It has the same type of connectors as the AM. After 4 days with this reciever, I have a good feel for its capabilities. Although it didn't knock my socks off, I can appreciate the differences to my current Sony.

This now brings me to my latest tryout reciever. The Rotel RSX-1055. When I returned the Pioneer last night, they let me take the Rotel. Which is surprising becuase it is thier floor model. I also get to keep it till next Tuesday eveing. I anxiously brought the reciever home and hooked it up to the rest of my equipment. The 1055 is beautiful and has very clean lines. The Rotel is heavier than the Pioneer even though it has 5 amplifiers .vs. 7 in the Pioneer. I have learned a lot about Rotel's product line from HTG's Rotel Forum. I calibrated my system using the test tones from the reciever. I am wondering how precies are they? One issue that I was concerned about it the "popping" sound when changing audio formats. I am not sure I have encountered this problem but I am definitely hearing a popping sound. I use The Lord of the Rings as a reference disc and when moving between the Main menu items, I hear a popping noise before the music re-starts. Problem, I don't know; Annoying, definitely. I have only had a little time with the Rotel but from what I have already heard, its knocked my socks off. The sound is very clean and clear. I can hear more subtle notes in music. The imaging is a lot more distinct. Infact, I had to walk up and make sure no music was coming from the CC........More to come.

Note: A lot of the words I am using in my evaluation had no meaning till recently. And I may not be using them in the correct context. For example, I would consider the sound coming from my Sony as being muddy. Is this right or wrong? I hope my verbage is able to convey my impressions.
                So when do you get the Rotel?
                Still thinking which color I like best. I have the black right now.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Eduardo guess I should learn to look at your first posts again

The pops are an issue with some units and we're not sure what's going on since most of us don't have this issue. I would think that when you order yours it should be ok.

Comment

• Eduardo
                    Moderator emeritus
                    • Jun 2002

Eduardo guess I should learn to look at your first posts again
                    Yeah :nutkick: .

I figured people may not see the updated post so I put it in a repost.

Comment

• Aeromos
                      • Jun 2003

Eduardo,

It's nice to see someone who has taken and auditioned in their own home 2 of the receivers I'm looking at upgrading to. I had a post (Upgrading!!) mentioning the components and speakers I was looking at, and was looking for some input. I was looking at the Elite for it's ease of set-up with speakers, plus it can already kick out 7 channels. We're you able to try out the USB input at all? This was another feature that fascinated me. On the other hand there's the Rotel. I really like the clean sound from this receiver as well. Aesthetically I love it, and so does my wife. I am even considering going pre/pro if I decide to go with Rotel. My only contention was that I'd have to add a 2-channel amp when and if I decide to go with 7.1. Your feedback would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Aeromos
                      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                      My Collection
                      Aeromos
                      My Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The problem is that craming 7 channels of amplification into one box means that in all likelyhood they won't do as well as 5 channels would...after all they're all sharing the same power supply and at some point you're going to run out of juice. Which means that if you're concerned about sonics esp for 2 channel you're likely going to want to add another power amp anyway which makes Pioneers 7 channel amp less of a bonus. Besides with decent multichannel amps on the used market like the HK Pa5800 for $300 its not that much of a stretch to gain a lot more flexibility.

Comment

• Eduardo
                          Moderator emeritus
                          • Jun 2002

Aeromos,

Glad to help. Unfortunately at the time I was about to purchase the Rotel 1055, I had to get a new AC unit for my house. So the reciever is on hold right now.

I didn't get to try the USB connector on the Pioneer but the auto calibrating feature is nice. Over all I was much happier with the quality of sound from Rotel than the Pioneer. I agree with Andrew about the power capabilities of the amps. If you plan to go with 7 speakers make the investment in a nice amp for your front speaker and let the reciever grow with you.

Comment

• Aeromos
                            • Jun 2003

Eduardo,

Actually I was also considering the 1055 and 1065. This would allow me to enjoy the Rotel sound sooner than later than if I went with separates. Later I would add the 1075 or 1095 for amps. Have you guys noticed much difference in sound between Rotel's receivers and the 1066? Also have they fixed the clicking noise when switching sources or menu change and chapter change while watching a dvd? I've read in this forum that some members have come across this challenge.

Aeromos
                            My Collection
                            Aeromos
                            My Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

The differences between the 1055 and 1066 when used as pre amps is extremely small...in fact when I swapped them out in my rack I couldn't tell the difference. Buying the 1055 now makes a lot of sense...it gives you more flexibility later, comes with a tuner and is cheaper to boot.

Comment

• Aeromos
                                • Jun 2003

But if I went with the 1055 and then add the 1075 later, is it true that there would be some noise (hum) due to the two amps from both units? A dealer mentioned that the 1066/1075 combo would be much quieter, because the 1066 doesn't have its own amp.

Andrew which receiver/pre amp did you have, and have now?

Aeromos
                                My Collection
                                Aeromos
                                My Collection

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"