X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cZwUV620
    • Apr 2010

Dual-Differential DACs

Hi all,

I currently own the RCD-1072 player, and have had it for a few years now. Over the last couple years or so, I've noticed more and more manufacturers in the CD player market (and even some external DAC makers) are incorporating dual-differential design in their players. Basically, the unit uses two DACs -- one for each channel for "excellent stereo separation and resolution."

Being that I've never owned a player with this kind of design, is it really a marked improvement over single design players? I'm pretty certain that the new RCD-1520 uses just a single Wolfson for both channels. Do you think future Rotel players will use a dual-differential design, or is this all hype?
  • theblue
    • Dec 2009

good question
    Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
    rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
    B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
    a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

It's not hype, the RCD-1072 was compareable to the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2. I went from V1 to V2 to the 840c and it's a HUGE difference. It actually has some unbelievable bass and the sound stage is nothing short of amazing with it.

Now as to whether Rotel will do the dual-differential, who knows, I don't work in the R&D department. One can only hope, but if you are looking for "one of your last CDPs ever" the CA Azur 840c is the place to stop in my opinion.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• TommyV
        • Feb 2007

I heard the new Rotel CD player and it had amazing sound but it was also hooked into one hell of a setup. I do not mean like no expense spared but SUPER nice all Rotel/B&W CM setup. My Pioneer BD51FD uses 4 wolfson 8740s and I have always thought the analog is up there with some of my fav.

So I assume when a DAC is called dual differential, it means it can be used as a dedicated mono DAC for either L or R ?

Comment

• vifferboy
          • Mar 2007

I have a RCD1072 for CDs and recently purchased a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic to use with my HTPC. As well as a USB the DAC magic has a couple of extra inputs (coaxial and optical) so for fun I’ve plugged one into the output from RCD1072

According to the Stereophile magazine write up of the DAC Magic “The D/A chips are the same Wolfson WMB8740 24-bit DACs used in Cambridge Audio's Azur 740C and 840C CD players. Two per channel operate in dual-differential mode for maximum noise reduction”

From the little listening I’ve done (which is not much as we have a new baby girl now) I really can’t hear any difference between the 1072 player and 1072 (as transport) with the DAC magic …

Regards
          Steve

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Just to clarify, the CA Dac Magic is the same setup as the 740c. The 840c uses Analog Devices AD1955 DACs in a dual differential design. Which (from me having never heard them) was a little bit leery at first...that is, until I hear the 840c. Wow.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"