X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avrtRick
    • Oct 2007

cambridge 840c Vs marantz SA-11S2 with cd playback

Does anyone have intimate evaluations on these units,A/B comparisons.
    To be more spacific, does the 840 sound better with cd playback than the SA-11S2(I thought of buying both, but if the SA-11S2 is equal or better with cd's then I can put that $2000 on something else,maybe a DAC) :B

Another,

The reason I thought of buying both is the fact that I have mega-changers and would like to get better sound by way of using the two digital inputs on the 840 and use the upsampling dacs to go analog out to the pre-pro.
    but if the SA-11S2 is as good with cds as the 840,I might then go for a good DAC(provided I can get a good one for that price here,aussie)

Any info most welcome :T
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Just curious, what kind of amp are you using?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• avrtRick
      • Oct 2007

Power amps are rotel rmb1095 and rb1080 then a HK receiver( to be changed when rotel releases an up to date rsp 1098,or something else if they take too long)as the processor.

harmankardon avr 330!!

Comment

• avrtRick
        • Oct 2007

Just note that this change has to be taken into consideration,I probably will get the rsp1069 while I wait for the 1098 to come of age,or Arcam($6000 is what I will spend on my main theatre processor,and hopefully they(Rotel or Arcam)will release these processors,hi rez audio and all, by March next year

I know that this is a few months away but I like to do some homework before I lay down the dollars

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

The reason I ask you is because just the other week, I was able to audition various different amps and CD players off of a matrix switch. And I realized the 'order' of upgrades. Just being honest, buying the Marantz SA-11S2 will be a waste of money for your current pre/pro. The SA-11S2 is far superior to a Rotel RSP or HK's AV receiver. Your audio will improve, but you're pre/pro will be your bottleneck.

With your current setup (and future plans), I'd recommend the Cambridge.

Seriously, if you get a upper high-end CD player, you'll only truely get it's true performance with an amp of equal caliber. At the same time, if you have a lower end CD player, having a $1000 or $10000 amp doesn't make that much of a difference.

Comment

• mattburk
            • Feb 2003

I would go for the marantz. When I buy I like to buy up. Why buy a mid grade cd player for a mid grade pre pro? Buy the marantz now-you will not need a dac for it.
            Then next year when your ready to upgrade upgrade your pre pro. The cambridge is fine, but if your going to do that you might as well just buy a marantz300-500 cd player. They are really good for the money. This is all based on useing the analog outs on the cd player.
            www.mycstone.com
            www.coverednow.com
            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

True, but he said his plans were to upgrade to a Rotel pre/pro.
              Why buy a mid grade cd player for a mid grade pre/pro? Because you will be wasting your money on a high end cd player for a mid grade pre/pro. Not that the Rotel is not an excellent pre/pro, but the Marantz SA-11S2 is superior. Next year when you purchase your Rotel pre/pro, that will also be your bottleneck compared to the Marantz SA-11S2. I know. I just listed to a Rotel pre/pro matched with exactly the Marantz SA-11S2 the other weekend, and the Rotel was the bottleneck.

Comment

• avrtRick
                • Oct 2007

Thanks very much for your info,

and possibly your patience.

I have gottin into ht in the past two years and can only hope to garner the indepth knowledge that most of you have, over time

I want a great cd player and a great sacd player
                I dont know much, but I thought that using the procssing and anolog outs of the marantz to the pre/pro(when purchased)for the volume(in bypass mode)would have given me the sonic benifits I was looking for.(let me know if this is way off the mark)

Matt,
                I wanted a DAC for the mega-changers that I have.
                I thought that if I buy the cambridge,I can use the two digital inputs and connect the mega-changers to it and have the 840 do the processing(upsampling DAC's) and then anolog out to the pre/pro.

So if my understanding in the above statement about the marantz,using the anolog outs, is way off,I best heed your advice and go for something that will be more suitable for my situation

So,with what you have said in your post,I am assuming that the marantz is the better cd player,is that a fair conclusion(on my behalf)

let me know,thanks Audioqueso/Mattburk
                Last edited by avrtRick; 28 November 2007, 01:28 Wednesday. Reason: incorrect spelling

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by avrtRick
                  I dont know much, but I thought that using the procssing and anolog outs of the marantz to the pre/pro(when purchased)for the volume(in bypass mode)would have given me the sonic benifits I was looking for.(let me know if this is way off the mark)
                  To be honest, I thought the same. Logically, it makes sense. But I'm just speaking from what I experienced this past month. After testing it for myself, putting the Marantz SA-11S2 through a mid-grade amp sounded the same as putting the mid-grade CD player. The amp was the bottle neck. Yes, it showed a bit improvement, but not worth the cost. Then at the same time, when using a high-end amp, it opened up the pathway for the source. Using the high-end amp, the mid-grade CD player was the bottleneck. The Marantz SA-11S2 was like unleashing a Ferrari on the Autobahn. :T

However, are you considering the Cambridge just to use the optical input? For the same amount of money, have you considered an external DAC like the Benchmark DAC1? Then you could take the output of your mega-changer and have excellent sound reproduction from all your CDs. It's what I'm thinking of doing with my media server.

Comment

• twitch54
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by avrtRick
                    does the 840 sound better with cd playback than the SA-11S2(I thought of buying both, but if the SA-11S2 is equal or better with cd's then I can put that $2000 on something else,maybe a DAC)

Buying both would be a waste of good $$, IMO. Do yourself a favor buy a Esoteric and be done with it !

Seriously though your question is loaded with too many variables like ...... what are the rest of your components, speakers, room set-up, acoustics, genre of music , etc, etc. Myself not knowing your system but willing to bet you could more wisely spend the money in other areas than having two digital players.

Good Luck !
                    Dave

Comment

• Chas_T
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by twitch54
                      Buying both would be a waste of good $$, IMO. Do yourself a favor buy a Esoteric and be done with it !
                      Good Luck !
                      Twitch,

Have you done any comparisons between the Esoteric and the Marantz 11S2?

I am not sure which model Esoteric you are referring to when you wrote the above. I've read where some people have changed from an Esoteric to the Marantz and of course the latter. The Esoteric was beyond my budget even on Audiogon at used prices. My question is not meant for a challange. I'm just curious what your experiences are with the Marantz 11S1 or 2 against the Teac.

Thanks,
                      Charles

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chas_T
                        Twitch,

Have you done any comparisons between the Esoteric and the Marantz 11S2? Charles

Charles, No I have not, I was merely a point of what I perceived to be "digital excess" and wondering how $$ could be better spent.

I have listened to the SA-60, which a friend owns, and think it is an excellent player, both Redbock and SACD.
                        Dave

Comment

• Chas_T
                          • Feb 2003

Dave,

I agree with both of your points. If someone is going to spend that amount of money on 2 players, they may as well go the entire route and purchase the Esoteric. Point well taken. Comprehension skills on my end were lacking! :Z

Thank you again,
                          Charles

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"