X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • widi
    • Jun 2009

Compact disc players

Hello friends,
    I am interested in buying a cd players, but I'm undecided on three different models are:
    Harman-Kardon HD-990.
    Onkyo C-S5VL.
    Cambridge Audio Azur 650c.
    Which of these three models recommended me?.
    Thanks in advance. ;x(
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

There are less and less stand alone, CD playing only machines available nowadays. I am surprised that Harmon and Onkyo are still making them!!??. I know that Cambridge still does and of the three, I would recommend you check their players out. I also know that Marantz still makes them and you should seriously check out some of their higher end models. They have a really good reputation for VERY 'musical' players. I have an older higher end one (CD67-SE) and in my opinion, it beats out the flagship Oppo BDP-95 in CD playback performance, especially on the vocal side of things.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I've listened to all versions of the Cambridge Audio and I have to say they always out-perform per their price levels.

I have had my 840c for almost 3 years now and I still have yet to find a CDP that outshines it that isn't really out of my price range.

However, now there's coming into play some very nice DACs that when properly ripped and played through those DACs are identical for the 840c if not better and a lot less.

So that might even be an option for you, move your CDP collection to the PC (lossless of course) and then buy a nice DAC for the same price as the CDP you'd want to get.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Out of those, I would go with the CA, myself.

Parasound is about to release their "end-all-be-all" reference CD player, though, and I think I'm going to pick that one up.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

In that range, on a variety of technical merits, and my own experiences with CA, I'd recommend the CA 650C. Best for you if you can hear them in your own system, but we know how hard that is to do these days.

I do have a Marantz SA11, (in a much higher price range), and while it's a nice lush sounding player for some kinds of music, it's not really neutral or strongly imaging. I'd at least venture that in it's price class the CA is a leader. I did pick up a roughly $600 Marantz for my daughter based on reputation, and I wasn't too enamored of it. Just my 0.02.

My standard for CD reproduction is stuff like the Metric Halo ULN8 or Berkeley Alpha DAC- I own both, the former being setup for a multi-way amplified speaker setup (it's an 8 channel DAC with DSP front end.)
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

At the end of the day as we can see above, audio performance and perception of 'sound' is very subjective and personal. You can also go on line and read some reviews from 'pros' and their impressions of the players. In most cases, they are evaluating the gear on some pretty high end stuff so their impressions will carry more weight due to this fact and the fact that they have also heard many, many players over the years and know a good player when they hear one.

Comment

• widi
              • Jun 2009

Compact disc player

Hi all.
              Thanks for your help.
              In the end I bought the Cambridge Audio Azur 650c, among other things, for the price (518 dollars), and comment that is a player that is going well.
              I will soon upgrade to a Level 3 will buy components at this site (http://fidelityaudio.co.uk/ca650c.html).
              Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Comment

• widi
                • Jun 2009

Compact disc player

Hi all.
                Thanks for your help.
                In the end I bought the Cambridge Audio Azur 650c, among other things, for the price (518 dollars), and comment that is a player that is going well.
                I will soon upgrade to a Level 3 will buy components at this site http://fidelityaudio.co.uk/ca650c.html.
                Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I think you made the right choice widi !!! Can you give me your impressions on it's sound and performance??.

Comment

• widi
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by madmac
                    I think you made the right choice widi !!! Can you give me your impressions on it's sound and performance??.

Its sound is very natural and neutral, the truth, you know, it's hard to say with words to describe the sound, I hope you do a thought.
                    I am very pleased with this new compact disc, and when I put the upgrade, and I will comment the differences, or so try.

Merry Christmas to all. :T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"