X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

New Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD Player Might Start British Invasion

Just listened to and purchased a Cambridge Audio Azur 840C Cd player. It has innovative new technologies for CD data conversion including one for reducing jitter (as low as Benchmark DAC1) and upsamples 16-bit/44.1kHz CD data to 24-bit/384kHz data. Uses parts from Analog Devices and software fron Anagram Technologies of Switzerland. Did a straight comparison with other dedicated CD players in its price range($1799CAN or $1299US) and the music from the Azur was alive and present while the others seemed flat in comparison. For example the Stevie Ray Vaughn-like guitar work of The Los Lonely Boys seemed to circle in front of me in the room 8O . Backed up by a solid power supply (for its price range) it played quite large. This player might not get the press in Canada and the US as other products might so give it a listen and see if you agree with me. :T -Russ
    Russ
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I *almost* purchased this, but without hearing it, I didn't want to spend the money on it, so I settled for the 640c V2 (which I had the V1)...

Now after hearing this, it makes me wish I had coughed up the money for the 840c!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

My "dream two channel" system (defined as something I could afford in the real world--the one I can't would be called the "ultimate two channel") is an 840A and 840C combo with a pair of Paradigm Reference 100s. I have a 540D DVD/CD/DVD-A player and I love it (it was purchased as my dedicated CD player after auditioning several players in its price range--and up to twice its range, which is how much more I'd have had to spend to get a better sound). For now, and the foreseeable future, a dedicated two channel rig is not an option (no space for it and limited funds--next purchase will be an HDTV), but if I were in the market for a reasonably affordable two channel rig, I'd be buying my "dream rig".

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yes, from what I've heard, this is quite the CD player. Wish I could afford one.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

I had the CA840C in for a 30 day demo last fall. It is really fabulous sounding at its' price point. IMO, better than the lesser priced, but much reviewed Rega Apollo. And, the CA has a wonderful additional benefit of a DAC output for use with your ipod or other streaming music devices. I did not end up keeping the CA as I was looking for a replacement for my Cary 303/300 and ended up getting too good of a deal on an Esoteric SA-60 - that I could not possibly refuse.
          Stan

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Nice looking unit, Russ, and the Digital input is a big plus- I expect you'll really enjoy it! Would be great in a system using a Hard drive based music server for the routine one's and zero's.

~jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"