X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

RB-1080 intermittend click sound

Hi, my RB-1080 sometimes will have a "click" sound, even I am not playing music. Does anyone has similar experience or know what that is? Does the amp goes to standby if there is no signal for some time?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It should NOT go into standby if there is no music playing for a long period of time.

My question would be are you using the 12v power switch from your pre-amp to the amp? Maybe that is not keeping a steady supply and causing it to switch off.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Alex Tang
      • Feb 2008

No, I didn't use the 12V trigger. It sometimes clicks while I am playing music, but the music is not interrupted.

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

If it was a protection relay, one would assume you would also have a brief but noticeable interruption in the music.

When it happens, if you are real close to the protection LED, does it dimly flicker?

Steve

Comment

• Alex Tang
          • Feb 2008

I am still observing and trying to figure out. It is really hard as I cannot reproduce it .. it just happened intermittently. I previously convert it to a 2 leg due to the static noise in balance input. But I decided to use RCA, so .. I remove the converter. I tried it again this morning, and it still clicks. So, there is a protect relay? Can you explain further what is that used for and how that would be trigger?

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

There is protection circuitry that incorporates a relay and protects against over current conditions, over temperature and short circuits. There is a corresponding LED on the front panel that says "Protection".

Normally the amp would go into the protection state and the LED would remain lit until the condition no longer existed.

How are you connecting your speakers to the amplifier's speaker binding posts? If by bare wire, is it possible there is a single strand of wire loose causing an intermittent extremely small short circuit?

If not, I was recommending that you look closely at the protection LED while you hear the clicking. If there was any dim flicker of that light, then perhaps that would indicate that it had something to do with that protection circuit and it's associated relay.

Steve

Comment

• Alex Tang
              • Feb 2008

Ok, thanks, for the explanation. I will check the connection. Also, I don't recall seeing the protection light turn on, since it is red, I should see it. But anyway, I will keep observing.

Somehow, I feel Rotel always have small issues like this. I have a Rotel 1055 receiver before and it has popping noise. Now this one has the clicking ... and hearing other problems in the forum, I think I lose confident in Rotel product.
              Last edited by Alex Tang; 05 April 2010, 16:27 Monday.

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

In the absence of any operational issues, clicking and ticking sounds could be caused by things like expansion/contraction of heatsinks or chassis, or cover screws that are either too loose or too tight.

Comment

• Alex Tang
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Glen B
                  In the absence of any operational issues, clicking and ticking sounds could be caused by things like expansion/contraction of heatsinks or chassis, or cover screws that are either too loose or too tight.
                  I suspect that too due to the behaviour. It clicks while the sound is not disturbed and the protection light does not lite, so, it is not the protection circuit. It clicks after a period of time, even when no music is playing, and the sound is slightly different each time. Sometimes louder, sometimes softer ...

Comment

• duketbrd88
                    • Jul 2009

Re: clicking

I think i know what you mean. I have the same problem going on with my classe ca2200 amp. I was told on this forum that is was due to expansion and contraction of the metal when it heats up, which does make sense, but sometimes it sounds so electronic sounding. It does not effect the sound at all just a click or a ping every once and a while. It does drive me nuts. To me it sounds like a relay on my amp, but i can't narrow it down so i just let it be. My amp is on 8hours a day and only gets warm to the touch never gets hot. I only hear it when i am watching television at lower volumes. I use my system every day for tv,movies and music. I did have a rotel 1080 years ago and never heard this.

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

I don't think the Delta amps have too many relays, maybe just one or a parallel pair for the main power. In the Delta series, Classé eliminated a lot of the relays and protection fuses of the legacy models. I believe if a relay was being activated, the sound would cut out.

Comment

• duketbrd88
                        • Jul 2009

so you really think what i am hearing is the metal expanding and contracting? I know we talked about this in the classe forum, but i figured it might be the same problem with the rotel amp. I am just curious Glen and thank you for the reply. Mike

Comment

• Alex Tang
                          • Feb 2008

I need to do more testing, but it seems it is the expanding in my case. I recently bought a new cabinet where it is a tight fit with my equipment. I don't hear the click in my old cabinet. So, I rearrange and give it more space, and it seems the click is gone last night. But as I said, I need to do more testing.

Comment

• Alex Tang
                            • Feb 2008

I test it again yesterday, no luck, it still clicks. This time, I sit in front of my amp for several hours, and I confirm the click comes from the Rotel, and it sounds like the click when the amp is switch on/off. so .. it doesn't sound like expansion/contraction .. it sounds something from the relay ... :cry:

Comment

• duketbrd88
                              • Jul 2009

Do you have it plugged in to any type of surge protector or balanced power system? I swear you are describing the exact same thing i hear with my classe ca2200 amp. It is the strangest damm thing.... Mike

Comment

• Glen B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jul 2004

There is nothing in a surge protector or balanced power system that a should cause clicking sounds. I've been using balanced power for the past 6 years and never had any operational issues. Gear "sees" the same 120V as with standard power.

Alex, at this point if the clicking sound is bothersome, have a technician look at the amp. There is only so much that can be accomplished on an Internet site.

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                  • Jul 2009

Glen, the only reason i ask is because i had a panamax surge protector and am now using the equitech 1.5r balanced power system and that is one of the best upgrades i have done. Made a huge difference in the clarity of everything i listen to. Balanced power works great if you ask me. If my wife could hear a difference with the equitech, well that says something because she can never tell what i have changed. I agree he should have the amp looked at, it's a great amp. Good luck Alex and let us know!!! I should say the only reason i said anything about balanced power is it has only been great results for me.

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by duketbrd88
                                    Made a huge difference in the clarity of everything i listen to. Balanced power works great if you ask me.
                                    That has been my experience also. I've already posted my DIY balanced power project a few years back in the Missions Possible forum. In my current incarnation I'm using an Equi=Tech 2Q transformer feeding my amp, and a couple of small Toroid Corp of Maryland transformers for preamp and source, all mounted in a single chassis. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showpos...12&postcount=1

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                      • Jul 2009

Looks great Glen!! Nice job

Comment

• Alex Tang
                                        • Feb 2008

I believe it is due to expansion and contraction because one day, I hear the click even when the power is off! Then, I take the amp out, remove the cover, tighter the screws and test it again, no luck, it still clicks. then I take it out and loosen the screws, and the click seems now is gone!!! I just loosen the screws (both inside and outside) .. it seems I got lucky. I just hope it is really gone.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"