X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech_table
    • Jan 2006

Do you leave your RMB-1095 on standby ?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Rotel, just bought an RSP-1068 and RMB-1095 before Thanksginving, I've been left both in standby, and used 12v trigger from the 1068 to turn the 1095 on/off, But I want to know, Do you leave the 1095 in standby ? or Do you turn off the 1095 completely after use ? Which of the following way is good ? Does anyone know what is the power consummtion of the 1095 in standby mode ? Specification only said its power consummtion is 1200 watts. I've been told by a local dealer, to leave the 1095 in standby, so it always ready to play, no need to wait for it to warm up. Just want to hear some comments from you guys.

Thanks,
    Great Forum, Great People. :T :T :T
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

I turn my off but that is mainly because I never hooked up the 12v trigger. I would think stand by is just fine.

Comment

• DL86
      • Sep 2005

I have an RB-1080 and I leave it on 24/7 I have no troubles with it and I prefer the sound of the amplifier when it is running at its normal operating temperature. Also serves as a room heater in winter

Comment

• tech_table
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the comment guys. :T

Comment

• Orange Peel
          • Nov 2004

I have mine hooked up via 12v trigger, works perfectly, just clicks on when I turn on the 1098
          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• PiDD
            • Aug 2003

I leave mine on all the time.

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
              • Apr 2003

I have my 1095 connected to my Anthem AVM20's 12v trigger but I never turn my system off. Well... I do turn off my TV but everything else stay's on 24/7.
              Regards,
              Matt

Comment

• sarsi
                • Nov 2004

I hooked my RMB1095 to the RSP1098 12v trigger and left it in standby 24x7. The only time I turned off all my equipments is when I am away for holiday.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

the 1098/1095/1080 are all 12volt triggered, all sit in standby when not in use.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• tech_table
                    • Jan 2006

Well, I think leave the 1095, in standby like I had it in day one shouldn't hurt anything, but I still wonder, what is it power consummtion in standby mode ? if anyone know ? if not, never mind, just curiosity. Thanks guys.

Comment

• grit
                      • Jan 2005

I leave all of my equipment in standby mode. My understanding is that sending a jolt of electricity (turning something on) from a cold state is the worst thing you can do to electronics. By leaving them in standby mode (and thus a relative trickle of power), a great deal of this strain is lessened or eliminated.

I only unplug them when there's suppose to be an electrical storm coming (I live in San Diego, so that's about once every 10 years).

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

I have my RMB-1095 on via the 12v trigger, my RB-1080 is on all the time, due to fuse blowing issues.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• tech_table
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by grit
                          (turning something on) from a cold state is the worst thing you can do to electronics. By leaving them in standby mode (and thus a relative trickle of power), a great deal of this strain is lessened or eliminated.
                          I'm kinda having the same thought. Thanks 4 the tips.

Comment

• rdram
                            • Mar 2005

Ok. I got my 1095 late May, my 1068 early November. I've been turning the amp on and off by the front panel switch, and after reading this thread, decided to hook up the 12V trigger. Went to Radio Shack this afternoon, asked for a 12V trigger cable and they looked at like I had three heads. Looked around and found an "Attenuating Audio Cable", 1/8" mono plugs...I said ok, this will work. Came home, hooked it up, flipped the switch on the back of the 1095, turned it on, turned on the 1068...and nothing. Went to the manual...then the menus, turned on the triggers, still nothing. Now it's been about 5 minutes of putzing around with the remote...going thru the menus, walked over to the rack and smelled the familiar smell of burning insulation. Sure enough, the plug stuck into the 1068 had pretty much melted thru, was smoking pretty good. Instant terror! Shut everything off, disconnected the trigger wire and held my breath as I powered everything up. Thankfully, everything is ok.

What the h--l did I do wrong? Call me captain of the stupid club, I guess. (And yes, everything was hooked correctly....at least I think so). Don't think I'll try that again.

Feeling dumb.

Comment

• grit
                              • Jan 2005

Hmmm... I'm gonna say nothing wrong there. I use 1/8" stereo plugs I got from Radio Shack x2 and 1 mono plug cable that came with my 1072. BTW, whats w/companies being cheap? No one uses the included audio cables. Throw in the 12v trigger cables that we probably dont have lying around the house instead please!

Side note - I understand Rotel is starting to do this.

Comment

• tech_table
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by rdram
                                What the h--l did I do wrong? Call me captain of the stupid club, I guess. (And yes, everything was hooked correctly....at least I think so). Don't think I'll try that again. Feeling dumb.
                                I do not know, how you've ended up like that, but, to use the remote turn on feature, connect one of the RSP-1068's 12V TRIG OUT jacks to the 12volt trigger in of a Rotel amplifier, using a cable with mono 3.5 mm mini-plugs on both ends. Turn the toggle switch on the Rotel amplifier to ON. Set the 12V TRIGGER on your 1068 to ALL or 1 or 1+2, depend on how many amp you got. The +12 V DC signal appears at the "tip" connector will trigger the amp ON/OFF. When you turn ON/OFF your 1068. Or see instruction on page 18 on the manual of 1068. I got a free trigger cable when I boght my 1068 & 1095 at a local dealer, I may need another one when I get the 1090 from them, at later time. They're every nice, I first bought the 1068/1075 both in black, brought home play for week, then I show the wife, the 1095 in silver, she made me change to silver, plus I made a switch as well, from 1075 to 1095.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• VikingP
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by rdram
                                  ...Looked around and found an "Attenuating Audio Cable", 1/8" mono plugs...
                                  Hi,

I think that the problem is that you are using an attenuated cable to connect your pre/pro and the amp. An attenuation, or "dubbing", cable does just what it says: it attenuates the signal through it. To do that, it has resistors at each end of the cable.
                                  Now, what I'm thinking, is that it's only your cable that burned, maybe because the resistors were of low wattage, and knowing that the Rotel pre/pros and receivers can supply 300mA @ 12VDC, it is very likely that one of the low resistance resistors couldn't handle the current through them. As to why the amp wouldn't turn on, it's probably because there was to much voltage drop across the resistors in the cable, and the trigger on the amp never got to have enough voltage to turn the 12V relay on.
                                  The solution is to simply to get another 1/8" mono to 1/8" mono cable, but without attenuation.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

I concur Paul, it should be a 12v-1/8" mono cable at both ends. You must have had the improper cable. Check out this URL in the forum:

12V triggers

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• chinets
                                      • Jun 2005

I have the 1905/1098 combo on 12v trigger and on standby mode 24-7-365 the whole year and it is perfect!!!!! Only shut it off in Rain storm or lightning just to play it safe IMHO !!!!

Comment

• pbarata
                                        • Feb 2003

I had a lot of problems with my RMB-1075, always activating my circuit breaker whenever it was turned on. The circuit breaker which is a Merlin Gerin Multi9 K32A (15 A) type was too sensitive to the surge current needed to charge the large capacity capacitors within the power amp. So I’ve replaced it for a slow response one, with a curve D, model Multi9 C60N D16 (16 A).

Thus, I’ve now everything connected to RSP-1066 12volt trigger out on standby mode and always use the remote to power up and power down all units. It’s very handy and I only shut it off when I leave home for a couple of days.

Just in case Merlin Gerin is now a brand of Schneider Electric.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                        Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• rdram
                                          • Mar 2005

Paul,

Your absolutely right. I keep wondering what could have happened, and before I went to bed last night, I got out my trusty Swiss Army knife and sliced open the end of the cable that melted...and there it was. That little resistor you mentioned. Didn't know about those. ops:

Will try again today...with the right cable. Thanks.

Rich

Comment

• Andy_Steb
                                            • Aug 2004

I leave mine on 24/7, I have the older model without triggers.

I found this on Rotel's site.

What is the power consumption of this amplifier when in standby?
                                            When using the 12 volt trigger the standby consumption is approximately 3 watts. Without the 12 volt trigger the amplifiers power consumption at idle is approximately 190 watts.
                                            Can this be right? 190 watts, 4.5 kWh a day, 137 kWh a month.

Comment

• tech_table
                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Andy_Steb
                                              I leave mine on 24/7, I have the older model without triggers. I found this on Rotel's site. Can this be right? 190 watts, 4.5 kWh a day, 137 kWh a month.
                                              I'm glad that the 1095, did not use much power in standby. Thanks Andy for the numbers.

Comment

• bung99
                                                • Nov 2005

Just did a test & mine here in Aus on 240v draws 11mA in standby & bloody loud 5 chanels all going on one source 2.2 Amps. All my gear (2dvd players,2Cd players,1sd tuner,1vcr, 1CRT TV & RSX972 as a pre) draws 109mA in standby. So the 1095 draws bugger all.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"