X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boxd
    • Mar 2010

Rotel Amp choices - opinions?

I recently acquired a pair of B&W DM602 Series 3 speakers and am looking for a nice amp to go with them. At this point I decided to go for simple and least expensive option to start with until I can research and choose a more permanent set up (I'd still like to keep the amp for non-main use).

So I currently have the following pre-loved amps as a choice, but can't decided which to go for. From my searches on the internet, each has great reviews or recommendations! Gah!

RA-840BX2
    RA-971
    RA-935BX

Any advice or opinions are very welcome!

Thanks.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The 9 series is getting a little long in the tooth.
    Dont get me wrong, I fell in love with Hifi partly cuz of the 9's, but in general, older equipment can have some drawbacks like reliability and poor performance due to aged components like capacitors.

Maybe see if you can find a model from the 10 series that is in your price range.

as always, JMHO, YMMV
    Last edited by wkhanna; 10 March 2010, 22:57 Wednesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Boxd,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

As to your question, each generation of Rotel integrated tends to improve in performance. 8 series to 9 series to 10 series. I currently have an RA-1062 integrated I am using. It is a very nice performer. Something similar it would drive your 602's nicely.

Of you choices, I would go with the most current product, which I believe would be the RA-971.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Darth Revan
        • Apr 2010

Well I am glad this thread was already here.

I have a Rotel RC-980 BX Pre-Amp.Along with a Rotel RB-930 AX Small Two Channel Amp.

I bought them new in 1995.They set in boxes for many years until 2009.I opened up the amp and gave the inside a good cleaning(good amount of dust).

So,my current AVR(Yamaha RX-V665) has Full Pre-Outs for every channel.
        I just aquired a Mint Condition Paradigm Studio cc-570 v.3 Center Speaker.

To take some strain off of my AVR,I bridged the Rotel Amp to Mono and let her carry the load.Which helped with detail,clarity,depth,and extension(where before it would sould like the piano note or Diana Krall's lyric would just be abruptly cut off.Like she ran out of breath)After adding the Rotel,that problem was taken care of.
        Now her lyric or the Piano Note continues until it fades out gradually.

So,my next purchase will be a Used 2-channel(preferably)Rotel.
        I can see where the 9 series has some age and probably lacks some of the smoother sound and dynamics of the 10 series.

I dont need much power as its a small room and temporarily will be powering a pair of Polk TSi400 Speakers(Until I run across the Paradigms I want for my fronts)

So is there a suggestion as to a lower power Two Channel Rotel I am likely to find used in the 10 series(Even if it is a model out of production).

Sorry for the long post,to ask a simple question.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Darth Revan,

Rotel 1050 (70 watts) or maybe a 1070 (130 watts). I see both of them on Audiogon right now.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Darth Revan
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
            Darth Revan,

Rotel 1050 (70 watts) or maybe a 1070 (130 watts). I see both of them on Audiogon right now.

Hope this helps.
            Thank You Steve.
            It certainly does help.

Sounds like either model would make a good addition for movies and music.
            I appreciate the reply.And I also appreciate the information.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"