X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yamatech
    • Jan 2009

opinions on many choices

Hi I am new here and have spent most of the weekend reading on many of your exciting projects.
    Here are a few models I am interested in building:
    Statements of course, but my placement might not be ideal, withthe open back mids.
    Khanspires, Zalph ZDT 3.5, and Jed Dynamic 4T with 4CC center.

I have experience with wood working so making cabinets is not really a problem.
    I have built smaller speakers before. So none of these worry me on building them.
    I have a Yamaha amp but might buy an Emotiva after all the positive comments.

My question is basically out of the ones mentioned above what are their advantages and disadvantages to them. I don't mean to start a mine is better than yours thread. Just the differences besides each design. What should one expext from one design compared to the other?
    I read a lot of reviews on each (except dynamic series which not people have posted in this forum) but still confused on the differences in design.
    All the designers from the above mentioned speakers seem to be great and should be thanked in devoting so much time to others with their input.
    I will be using it 50-50 for HT and music.
    The Dynamic series seems to be my favorite but having all those speakers really worth it? Is it overkill? I have space for the center and the towers are not too big therefore fit nice. I don't have a budget so price is not a concern but don't want to overspend for no reason, but at the same time don't want to regret my choice. I want something long term.
    Is doubling up the mid range and using 4RS180 really that noticeable in sound? or other? When listening to these or others mentioned will there be that much of a difference. Or hardly noticeable.
    TIA
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How big is the room? What's the distance from the listening postion to the speakers? How loud do you want the system to play?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by yamatech
      I have space for the center and the towers are not too big therefore fit nice. I don't have a budget so price is not a concern but don't want to overspend for no reason, but at the same time don't want to regret my choice. I want something long term.
      Is doubling up the mid range and using 4RS180 really that noticeable in sound? or other? When listening to these or others mentioned will there be that much of a difference. Or hardly noticeable.
      TIA
      Have we exchanged emails yet? I'm just wondering because if that is the case I won't repeat myself here.

A quad of RS180s will give you more dynamic headroom and a ton of power handling. The RS180s wired in series parallel have a net 8 ohms impedance, which is easier to drive. If you want fewer woofers, that's why I have the 2T/2cc version. They are sonically similar to the rest of the Dynamic series, just will not play quite as loud. The array of woofers spreads the floor bounce/ceiling bounce reflections over a larger range so the FR is flatter etc in the mid/bass. Dual mids are cleaner than a system with a single midrange (in general), because there will be less harmonic distortion. The dome tweeter allows a lower crossover point to mitigate comb filtering issues/power response issues.

People on this forum with published designs really need to update their BOMs to reflect current pricing because all the Dayton drivers/TB have gone up in price. My pricing is retail of the parts.

Well, I could go on, but you might send me an email and I can forward more info to you.

Regards,

Jed
      Last edited by Jed; 26 January 2009, 15:44 Monday.

Comment

• yamatech
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ThomasW
        How big is the room? What's the distance from the listening postion to the speakers? How loud do you want the system to play?
        The room is 22x20, Listening position is approx 16' for HT, for music well always moving around...
        Although I can easily play to 110-115db, the goal is more for realistic clear sound.

Comment

• HareBrained
          • Jul 2008

Wow, that's loud.

Maybe you could convince Jed to design you a M5 (MTM) with a pair of woofers, RS270's or RS225's, or a quartet of RS180's. I think the SB15 has the best potential (as I haven't heard it) of sounding the best.
          John

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

I'd do a 4T, sealed and HPs at 80hz with a pair of IB subs. A ported 4T will get you close to the 110db estimate, but will quickly run out of power handling below 30hz, just like any ported box would. In that case, use a subwoofer to handle the lower frequencies.

Jed

Comment

• yamatech
              • Jan 2009

Ok thanks, I put the max db I can play but honestly it is very rare I play that loud. Again the main goal is sound quality. And the main objective of my initial post was the differences, between the different speakers.
              Jed thanks for the info on describing the reasons for doubling up drivers.
              Got to admit your 4T look awesome. Suprised that the boxes are small with so many woofers, at least compared to the others mentioned.

Comment

• pedroskova
                • Mar 2007

Other than the time my soundcard locked up and sent a death howl to a pair of PHL 1240's I was measuring, I've never witnessed 115 dB in my listening room...don't know that I'd want to for more than a few milliseconds.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by yamatech
                  Got to admit your 4T look awesome. Suprised that the boxes are small with so many woofers, at least compared to the others mentioned.

You can build the 4T a bit larger than I have listed on the main page. Dougie made his about 80L or so. That way you'll get bass down in the low 30s. Maybe he'll chime in here. I've got people all over the world working on the Dynamic Series. Since it's a relatively new design... you won't find many builds here yet. However they are out there and you can check out my forum for the latest builds. There's a link at the bottom of my homepage.

Comment

• aqus
                    • Dec 2008

I thought I would put my 2 cents in. I have also been researching for weeks and with help of many people here I think my decision is pretty much made up.
                    After reading many posts I would say that all the designs you mentioned are great speakers. They probably have all advantages and disadvantages and not sure if one compares to the other, it all depends on the application. Do you have a sub to support the low end? Where will they be placed? etc
                    If like me you are planning to put them in a corner setup, I was highly discouraged by the statements lineup, which was my first choice.
                    Jim Holtz pointed me to other designs and I found the Dynamic series.
                    Jed had been answering many of my questions and has been very helpful.
                    The only reason I have been hesitating is because I am in Canada and with the exchange,duties and shipping the cost is up there, but that's another story. His pricing is great, buy from him or buy direct and you will pay the same thing, except from him you get everything you need, including assembled crossovers, plans designs etc. Sorry I am in sales(getting carried away) Jed how about a commision. :lol:

So basically in order to decide you would have to look at size, your budget, building and soldering skills(Jed assembles the crossovers for you), application, ohm requirements, how low of HZ do you need? etc. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
                    Do a lot of research. So far I am sure I put in more time reading asking questions that the time it will take me to buid them.

As for not much on the Dynamic series here, well I almost sure you will see me posting here soon on my experience with the build
                    Good luck

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by aqus
                      well I almost sure you will see me posting here soon on my experience with the build
                      :T I actually thought the OP was you for a bit because his question was so similar to your inquiry awhile ago. There's a half dozen builders out there for the 4t/2t as I speak. Dougie and another guy at the polk forum have posted reviews of the 4cc and 4T. Both feel they are really great... so hopefully as people start their builds they'll post the results. A lot of people aren't into the whole documenting the build thing; I've found. For example, I've got a few people building the Duet10 and haven't seen any wood cut for their builds yet. So maybe they're waiting for their schedules to allow time for this great hobby of ours.

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

The big 3-ways will do 110dB but they start to get harsh if the power isn't super duper clean. I've pushed up there with my big 3-ways (which uses the RS180 as a mid...)

C
                        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

The two biggest factors are going to be: Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) and cost.

Start small and build a bigger pair next year.
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                            The two biggest factors are going to be: Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) and cost.

Start small and build a bigger pair next year.
                            Could always go with the Lineup F4. That should have good WAF.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"