narrowing down my choices... opinions needed

this is for a home stereo set up
    need opinions on tweeter and mids

pre-existing equipment:
    denon 2910

rotel rc-1070 preamp

rotel 2 channel rb-1080

i plan on purchasing rane 31 band eq(s) and threeway x/o

i will hopefully add a 500x2 and probably a small tube amp for the tweets (no idea on woofers yet)

here is what im looking at:

this seems to bee a good choice but may need to be x/o at around 3k
    from what ive read

hence a 5.5" may be a better choice than a 6.5-7" (correct?)

here is what im considering,

great disparity in prices, so input is needed

will be implemented as a pair per speaker either as TL's or dipolar

opinions on anything appreciated!
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

Is a sub used in this? I'd go with the W15 seas driver, just because of the biggest excursion(for 500 watts you'll need it). The scan-speak is designed for midrange, and will run out of excursion fast in bass duties.

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by KeithM
      Is a sub used in this? I'd go with the W15 seas driver, just because of the biggest excursion(for 500 watts you'll need it). The scan-speak is designed for midrange, and will run out of excursion fast in bass duties.
      subs will be used of course... one piece at a time
      to clarify the mids will only recieve 200W (of course never the full 200)

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

care to help me out in my other thread
        Okay....

In this day and age using a 31 band graphic EQ is about the same as buying a 10yr old car. They are functionally obsolete given the tremendous gains in digital parametric processing. Parametric equalizers are far more useful given the ability to control the bandwidth of the filters as opposed to being locked into 1/3 octave filters used in a graphic equalizer.

In addition, generic active crossovers are fine for car audio or pro-sound, but totally unsuited for use in a multi-way high-end home audio system. One reason for this is that they don't offer things like baffle step compensation that's necessary for a home speaker designs.

Unless you have the ability to make accurate measurements of the speakers in the baffle you propose using, then import those measurements into a crossover modeling program, you'd be better with someone elses design. Or you'll need pay for a custom LEAP crossover design from someplace like Madisound.

Read only the first post in the link below. There, you'll find a good example what's needed to properly design, and engineer a loudspeaker. Pay particular attention to the graphs and plots.

Last edited by theSven; 16 August 2023, 16:44 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"