How did everyone get the ok from the wife to upgrade from the 703 to the 804s series?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trevor
    • May 2005

How did everyone get the ok from the wife to upgrade from the 703 to the 804s series?

Help with the persusian or tips to let the wife understand the price difference and quality of better speakers.
    I know there are alot of topics on these speakers but I am wondering if any current owners of 804s speakers were at one time thinking of the 703 speaker?

I really like the 804s but the difference of 1600 dollars is a big jump. Just seeking opinions on these speakers.

I am also running and adcom gtp450 preamp and gfa555mk2 to run my 604 s3 right now. They sound good now but I am worried about the quality of output with the 804s series with my equipment. I listened to both the 703 and 804s at the dealer and noticed a big difference in sound. The dealer was using an integrated dennon amp that was only 500.00 retail and a dennon cd player that sold for 700.00 retail.

Any opinions appreciated

Thanks
    Trevor
    Last edited by Trevor; 29 July 2005, 12:53 Friday.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Yes, I was close to buying a pair of 703 then my dealer offered me a 'deal' on 804N (Nautilus) soon after the Diamond sereis was released. I got he 804N for $1400 each which is pretty close to what the 703 were being sold for. I am very happy with my choice. I immediately notice a differnce in soud stage and bass repsonse with the 804N vs the 703. You may be able to find a few 804N still available. Also, check audiogon.com for used equipment. Good luck.

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Trevor,
      I had the 703's and moved up to the 804S'. The move was substantial and the difference in sound was worth the $$ paid. They are both 3 way speaker systems with a tweeter on top, but the similarities stop there. The 804S has a lot more everything Bass, midrange and highend with much more clarity and detail. You get what you pay for. You can't really compare a 700 series with an 800 series when comparing equal amounts of speakers. If you were to compare the 703 to an 805 there would be more to talk about. With either you will need a Sub for those low hz as either has Bass but not the boom you might get from an 802 or higher.

Comment

• Trevor
        • May 2005

Thanks I was originally blown away from the difference from the 604 s3 to the 703. I went in to the dealer yesterday with my brother and we listened to all the speakers from the 301 to the 800 and wow? I could actually hear the difference beween each speaker. This was the first time that I heard the 804s. I tried not to listen to the 800 series because I knew I would want them instead.

After the initial sound test I noticed that their was an up front sound from the 703 but not with the 604 or the 804s. I noticed that the 604 sounded laid back and the 703 were really upfront but clear. Then, the weirdest thing was the 804s were very clear sounding but laid back and not in your face as the 703 sounded. The sounds out of the 804s are excellent and the looks are great. I just don't know if I would have a house to come home to If I brought home a pair of the 804s with a price tag of over 2600 dollars. The wife was kind of reluctant to go to the 703 with only a difference of 1200.00.
        I guess my whole dilema is talking to the wife or getting the 703 for one year and then trading in those for the 804s and maybe finding a used set at the dealer to lower my cost. I just want to be happy with the final purchase for the next 10 + years because the wife has the baby fever in her head. :rofl:

Thanks for all the help guys, I think the rest is up to me.

Trevor

Comment

• tboooe
          • Jun 2005

I am in the same boat (kinda). I recently bought some 805S which I am happy with thinking that I will upgrade to 804 or 803 in the future. Well the future in now! The wife will freak if I spend another $4k on speakers after spending $2k on the 805s. As for baby fever...shoot she has baby disease...we have another on the way and she is already talking about college fund, wedding, prom, car, etc...Of course all I hear is "wah wah wah" and thinking B&W 804, 803, Classe amp, Nordost Red Dawns, Rotel 1068....

Unfortunately for me, I dont think I am going to win this battle. I will jsut have to squirrel away money for the next year until I can round up enough to get the 804 or 804 + new amp.

arrrrrrrrrrgggggghhh,,being a responsible adult sucks sometimes!!! I sometmes just want to go a max out my $20K limit platinum card and buy all the gear I want...what's the poitn of having such a high limit unless you test once in while right??

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Interesting question. My response is not B&W specific, but just about audio/HT purchases in general. I have never needed my wife's approval to buy or upgrade my equipment. She usually does not know what I pay, although she has asked a few times over the years. When I first made the jump from mid-fi to high-end, she was shocked at first to learn what the components cost but that is no longer the case. We both maintain separate finances but share the bills. If I want something, I buy it. As long as I am taking care of the important things, money is usually not an issue. At the same time, I am discreet in my purchases so as not to upset my happy home. I will not make an upgrade if there is something important that needs to be done like home improvement for example. This system has worked through 23+ years of marriage that is free of arguments over money.

Comment

• james_dmi
              • Jan 2005

How to justify buying expensive Hi-Fi

What car does your wife drive?? If it’s anything other then a very boring runabout then point out the difference in price between what she has and the boring run about. Then point out that most of the features of the expensive car are for vanities sake only (i.e. large 4 by 4 is safer not bourn out by statistics, German cars more reliable again not statistically etc….) and any real quantifiable extras like performance cant be used apart from once in blue moon and even then not legally. Then you can get started on all the cost of ownership issues.

By contrast you can use every bit of performance from your expensive Hi-Fi system every time you use it, you don’t have cost of ownership, and you won’t get arrested whilst you’re enjoying your purchase. And the depreciation is much lower.

If the car angle doesn’t work you could get started on cloths or shoes but that may be dangerous…..
              James

Comment

• james_dmi
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                Interesting question. My response is not B&W specific, but just about audio/HT purchases in general. I have never needed my wife's approval to buy or upgrade my equipment. She usually does not know what I pay, although she has asked a few times over the years. When I first made the jump from mid-fi to high-end, she was shocked at first to learn what the components cost but that is no longer the case. We both maintain separate finances but share the bills. If I want something, I buy it. As long as I am taking care of the important things, money is usually not an issue. At the same time, I am discreet in my purchases so as not to upset my happy home. I will not make an upgrade if there is something important that needs to be done like home improvement for example. This system has worked through 23+ years of marriage that is free of arguments over money.
                Yep with you, it’s only been six years and we haven’t got married (that would cost more then a pair of 802D's!!!) but we do bills holidays and things to do with the flat split down the middle. Anything else we just pay for as we go and keep our finances separate.
                James

Comment

• scottielee
                  • Apr 2005

in my case, i am the only one working and i attribute the purchase of my system to educating our 2 kids and ourselves about passions of making music. getting a nice system will make it easier for all of us to connect to the music and musicians, and appreciate the skills and emotions involved. i would like my loved ones to understand how devotion, care, and hard work create works of art almost everyone can appreciate.

sure there are plenty of other works of art other than music worth learning about. i just find music rather easy and convenient to expose my loved ones to. it is great to experience concert-like music at home in between going to concerts, not to mention stress-relief benefits for hard working (at drooling over audio jewelry : ) dads.

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

Scottielee:

well said. it makes me soo happy to see my little 2 year old dance and smile whenever she hears music. i hope that on day she will have the same passion i do for all types of music and i hope that it brings her the kind of satisfaction, joy, tranquility it has me since i first "discovered" music when i was 6 years old. aside from just the pleasure of listening to pleasant sounding songs, music can stir my soul, ease my mind, make my laugh and cry, be my refuge, be my best friend...

to me its truly amazing the power music has...

Comment

• Pieter
                      • Jan 2005

Pass me the Kleenex.

Comment

• xk8boy
                        • Jul 2005

Scottielee, love the angle. The education factor is persuasive. "Remember dear, i'm doing to better our the kids". hehe.

If that doesnt work, bribe her into think your way. Buy her something nice she wants like the dress/bag/shoe in the shop window that she dragged you into last weekend.

Comment

• nyny
                          • Jul 2004

Scottie, good one dude...too bad I don't have kids yet. BTW, I look forward to meeting you and seeing/hearing your system tomorrow. :T

How it works between me and my wife is, I leave her alone with her bags and shoes, and she leaves me alone with my A/V equipment upgrades. I guess we can do this until we have little ones, then we have to save for their future.

I think my next speaker upgrade will not be until I move out of NYC.....
                          Last edited by nyny; 29 July 2005, 22:37 Friday.
                          Tony

Comment

• gauss
                            • Jun 2005

My wife actually paid for our Infocus projector and the gear associated with it. She is very interested in watching movies so it took very little time to persuade her. I guess it may have something to do with how "cheap" this was compared to the speakers I have tendency to fall in love with. Anyway, we both feel that this was a good investment and our two children love watching "the large screen".

When it comes to loudspeaker investments it is a little more difficult to obtain approval though, but I try to bring her in on a demo and almost everytime she can hear differences and understand why I want to make an upgrade. Even so, she does not always understand the sometimes silly costs associated with the upgrade.

Comment

• scottielee
                              • Apr 2005

thank you, thank you :B

more thoughts:
                              - classical music have been thought to improve kids' math skills and stimulate overall brain development. it is especially beneficial for pregnant women and their unborn babies. don't ask me where i read this (most likely in 'parents' magazine)...
                              - in order to faithfully reproduce classical music (especially full orchestral performances), high quality audio equipment and attention to setup are absolutely necessary :T

tony, i am cleaning my place tonight just for you bring your favorite cd! very looking forward to hanging out with you.

Comment

• RobP
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Trevor. in marriage it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• csuzor
                                  • Nov 2004

I agree with the advice for separate finances and shared bills. But this wasn't enough to convince me out of 703 and into 804, even though sonically I also heard the difference. Front speakers are just 1 component of this hobby, and you'll need to upgrade other components, get more speakers, get the music / dvd every month, new screen / projector, etc. And then there are other hobbies, you can't spend all your time indoors, listening / watching, so you'll need more money for those. And there are family treats like holidays and presents, and household upgrades... The list is long.

My advice: If you can't easily afford the 804, stick with the 703 and plan to upgrade other components and get music / dvd, and do other things in life too.

In the shop, there is always better, so why stop at 804? Later in life, you may find the better models become "easily affordable", which is the criteria I use. I am waiting for the day when the 802 become "easily affordable". Until then, at home, the 703 sound great, and I still have other expensive hobbies.

Comment

• james_dmi
                                    • Jan 2005

On the educating children part.

I have my dad to thank for my obsession with music re-production. I grew up listening to music played through my dads Tannoy Lancasters Quad amps and SME / Garrard turntable. So on one hand you could say your educating your kids on the other hand you could say your passing the price wife acceptance dilemma down to then next generation. Maybe in the future you will find yourself having to explain this to your Son/Daughter in law. At least I will be able to pass the buck on to my dad if this happens.
                                    James

Comment

• james_dmi
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                      Trevor. in marriage it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
                                      Is this the secret to marriage? I must say I would never do things this way round with my girlfriend. I guess I’m lucky that she loves music too and when I have bought her to demos is just as good at hearing the improvements with better speakers.

I have her convinced on the 803D’s but I have a nasty feeling that once I give the 802D’s a try that’s the way I’m going to go. Then comes in the aesthetics’ issue.

803D’s are tall slim and elegant with a reasonable footprint and overall have a non-fussy classic appearance.

802D’s on the other hand are fat and stumpy looking, with bulbous protrusions and a multitude of different surfaces and colours. The big question is will she be able to hear past this??

Ironically, it’s a bit like choosing a girlfriend: Do you go out with the ugly one with the better personality? And if you do will you get used to the way she looks in time?
                                      James

Comment

• Pieter
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by james_dmi
                                        Do you go out with the ugly one with the better personality? And if you do will you get used to the way she looks in time?
                                        No, you pick the stunner who's got the personality to boot. But she too will resemble your grandmother in 40 years time.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

No offense, but if the money is available then be the one to wear the pants. lol Sorry, but it's true.
                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• james_dmi
                                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Pieter
                                            No, you pick the stunner who's got the personality to boot. But she too will resemble your grandmother in 40 years time.
                                            That’s easy with girls you keep going for the stunner till you find one with the personality, but is there a speaker out there that fits both criteria?
                                            James

Comment

• RobP
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

Is this the secret to marriage?
                                              James, that was meant as a joke. ( it does have a ring of truth to it though), That was something that my grandmother used to tell me. She was a hoot.

I am very lucky, my wife gives me no problems at all when it comes to my hobbies, we both have our things that we enjoy and we dont hassle one another about them. We share the bills and each have our own money.
                                              I just dont understand the idea of getting someones permission to do something, we are adults, correct?

By the way, I think the secret to a great marriage is a great sense of humor.
                                              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Pieter
                                                • Jan 2005

That’s easy with girls you keep going for the stunner till you find one with the personality, but is there a speaker out there that fits both criteria?
                                                Yeah, I think there is, but it's expensive. Original Nautilus, awesome looks and awesome sound. And it is one up on "the female of the species" for I reckon it should retain its looks even after 40 years.

Comment

• Pieter
                                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                                  By the way, I think the secret to a great marriage is a great sense of humor.
                                                  Broaden that, it is the secret to life.

Comment

• aphexist
                                                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Pieter
                                                    Yeah, I think there is, but it's expensive. Original Nautilus, awesome looks and awesome sound. And it is one up on "the female of the species" for I reckon it should retain its looks even after 40 years.
                                                    I can't imagine any spouse being excited about having THE Nautilus in one of the "community" rooms. A huge black laquer shell doesn't fit into much post-80's decor...

Comment

• Pieter
                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by aphexist
                                                      I can't imagine any spouse being excited about having THE Nautilus in one of the "community" rooms. A huge black laquer shell doesn't fit into much post-80's decor...
                                                      Putting THE Nautilus in a "community" room would be a sin. It deserves a room AROUND it, not plonked IN a room.

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                                                        • Jan 2005

I bought her an engagement ring the same week I made the upgrade... Diamonds are like the pills in Pac-Man, they make you invincible for a short period of time.. I would try this method if I were you.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by JetFlyGuy
                                                          I bought her an engagement ring the same week I made the upgrade... Diamonds are like the pills in Pac-Man, they make you invincible for a short period of time.. I would try this method if I were you.
                                                          Can't stop laughing! lol lol
                                                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Lovemov
                                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JetFlyGuy

This reminds me an old joke from a Hi-Fi magazine long time ago...

A girl friend of a man's wife asked the guy why he is so generous that he has bought a thousand dollars diamond ring for his wife. He said: "because I bought a phono cartridge last week which costs about the same."

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"