X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wackydesigner
    • Dec 2006

Are Integrated Tubes Right for B&W?

How come I don't hear much about B&W (800-series) powered by integrated tubes much? Are they not a good match? If they are, please recommend...
    Last edited by wackydesigner; 07 January 2007, 02:38 Sunday.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think if you look around this forum most people prefer lots of watts with their 800 series. Personally I am very glad I went with a tube pre amp. Not sure if I would want to go with tubes for the power amp component but I have only given it passing consideration.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wackydesigner
      • Dec 2006

So you'll still get that "tube" sound if you use a Tube pre-amp and a SS power-amp?

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wackydesigner
        So you'll still get that "tube" sound if you use a Tube pre-amp and a SS power-amp?
        I went with a tube pre-amp because I liked the sound, not specifically to get a tube sound. Personally I think you get the best of both worlds. My tube pre-amp is not particularly tube sounding, but it does nice things to vocals and made for a much more transparent system. Changing the source CD player used to make little if any difference, now the character of each player I have tried shines through.

I think it helps that I have a decent SS amp. Of course every hifi dealer I talk to recently says my old power amp is the weak point. The only compliment it has ever had is "Well at least Nakamichi were honest about their specifications".

Ok, what does the spec sheet say....
        Frequency response 5 - 100,000 hz +0 -1db (sounds kinda flat to me)
        THD less than 0.002% at 1KHz or below
        less than 0.005% at 10KHz or below
        5-20,000 hz less than 0.01% (better than average I think)
        signal to noise ratio better than 120db at rated output (100 watts)

I'm not claiming its perfect but it certainly doesn't get in the way of allowing a very expensive CD player to sound great.

...........sorry bit off topic. Guess I am a bit protective of the old brick. ops: Had my rant - now back to valves/tubes
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"