X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MustangJeff
    • Feb 2010

Multi Input question: RSX-1056

Hopefully this is an easy/simple question to answer.

I'm using a Rotel RSX-1056 for a 7.1 HT setup. My front speakers are connected to a rotel RB-980BX via front pre outs. Since this receiver lacks HDMI, I purchased a Pioneer BDP-05FD blu ray player for it's analog 7.1 outputs and quality wolfson da converters. The blu ray player is connected to the rotel MULTI in analog.

My question is this:

Both the Rotel and the Pioneer have the ability to set speaker size and output level. Right now I have the Pioneer just set as default (I think 0db and all speakers set to large). I've use the Rotel to set speaker output (using a SPL meter) and the delay. Is this the correct configuration? Or should I be setting the Rotel to the default and using the Pioneer to set delay and output? How will this effect my other sources (HD DVD, Dish, HT PC) that I have connected through the traditional coax/optical inputs.

Any recommendations for this type of setup would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The Rotel settings do not apply to the multi-channel input. So you will need to set both the Rotel and the Pioneer to get the right results.

Kevin D.

Comment

• MustangJeff
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
      The Rotel settings do not apply to the multi-channel input. So you will need to set both the Rotel and the Pioneer to get the right results.

Kevin D.
      Interesting.. So just to make things clear in my mind..

None of delay setting, speaker output settings, or bass management settings modify the sound coming in through multi input?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Correct. The only adjustment you have is the sub level (set on the Subwoofer setup page) and whether you want the bass from the main channels copied to the subwoofer output (set on the input setup menu). With full bass management on the Pioneer, you will want to set this LFE redirect to OFF.

Kevin D.

Comment

• FernandoF
          • Nov 2005

Hi MustangJeff and Kevin D.

May I respectfully disagree and hopefully contribute ?

I also have a Rotel RSX-1056. I had the same doubt in the past and decided to find that out myself. After some experimentation I was able to confirm that the speaker output levels from the Test Tone menu on the 1056 do apply to the Multi inputs as well. At least on my unit... Of course it's just an analog volume control for each speaker, so no harm is done.

From my experience, I would recommend setting up your system as follows (please understand that you will need a disc that can generate test tones) :

1) First calibrate the speaker levels on the Rotel with test tones using a digital input (i.e. letting the Rotel do the decoding).

2) Then calibrate the speaker levels on the Pioneer with test tones using the Multi inputs (i.e. letting the Pioneer do the decoding). You will likely end up with everything close to 0dB on the player, since the 1056 will be leveling the channels downstream.

Good luck, and please do report back !

Fernando

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

The same goes fot the RSP-1098. The channel levels apply to the 7.1 input, however delay and bass management do not.

I use a Marantz UD8004 blu ray/DVD/SACD player with 7.1 analogue out.

I first calibrated the 1098 with the test tones
            Than the Marantz, and all levels at +/- 0db are ok.
            Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Paul51
              • Nov 2005

You didn't say which kind of speakers you are using or at least I didn't read it in your post. I have 1056 and run BW 603 s3 front set to large with crossover @60hrz, BW 602 rear set small @60hrz,BW LCR60 S3 center set large @60 and BW SRW 610 sub. I want the front speakers to drive my music as close to the actual recording as possible. This isn't the problem you are having but I thought it was worth saying. I hope you get the issue fixed and enjoy your system Good luck
              Paul51

Comment

• pacoinmass
                • Apr 2007

I had the same question several years ago regarding my RSX-1056. Below is my question and the reply from Rotel technical support. Hope this helps.

My question:

I have a question regarding the multi-channel input on my Rotel RSX-1056. I currently have my Denon DVD-3910 player connected via the six analog cables into the multi-channel inputs. The Denon has a bass management capability and allows me to set the "Speaker Configuration" (e.g., large/small); "Channel Level" (e.g., +/- db for each of the six channels); and "Distance" (e.g., distance of each speaker from listening position).

I understand that the multi-channel input signal is not "digitally processed" and is sent to the volume control. Does this mean that the Rotel does not use the global Speaker Setup; Delay Setup; and Test Tone settings in the multi-channel mode? Or does "digital processing" mean only bass redirection (via Speaker Setup) and Delay Setup since the Test Tone adjusts the volume of each individual speaker?

If the Rotel multi-channel input bypasses all three settings, then I can calibrate the speaker levels from the Denon. If the Rotel multi-channel input will also adjust the speaker levels according to the global setting, then I should leave the Denon speaker levels at 0 db adjustment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The reply:

The multi-input on the RSX-1056 does a few things. The test tone settings do take effect on the multi-input mode. The delay settings also take effect in this mode. The speaker setup (large or small) does not take effect on the multi-input mode. The multi-input mode does have a LFE redirect option that, when selected, will put a 100hz filter onto the 5 channels and redirect 100hz and below the subwoofer output. This is typically used for SACD or DVDA discs that have 5 channels but no subwoofer and consumers want the subwoofer to play on these discs. So basically you will want to do your speaker configuration from the DVD player and use the RSX-1056 to handle the levels and delay.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

At the end of the day, I would use as much of the Rotel as possible in regards to delay, volume, and speaker set up (including sub).
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"