X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daspaceman
    • Jan 2010

Hifi preamp vs a/v preamp

Hello,

Currently I use an RSP1069 for surround and hifi .
    If i buy a dedicated RC1080 preamp to use for hifi, instead of using the rsp1069,will there be a difference in hifi performance? and is it worth it.
    I`m really looking forward for an answer in this forum,

Cheers :T
    A/V Preamp: Rotel RSP-1069
    Power Amp : Rotel RMB-1075
    Speakers : ProAC response d two&centre,AS6Sub,Monitor.A RXFX
    Cables : Nordost Cables.
  • jalyra
    • Jan 2009

In theory a good stereo preamp will improve the sound over an A/V processor. But you need to check for the specific models, some Arcam A/V processors are as good as their own stereo preamp. I don't know how much better is the Rotel RC-1080 to the RSP-1069. I own an Onkyo receiver and always wanted a Rotel preamp but since I needed to use the same front speakers for HT & HiFi I needed the preamp to have HT bypass, so the RC-1080 was not an option. I waited for the new RC-1580 but the mexican distributor price it close to 3K dlls. So I better got I tubey Conrad-Johnson and the sound difference is day & night! Try to audition the preamp first before you decide.

Comment

• daspaceman
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jalyra
      In theory a good stereo preamp will improve the sound over an A/V processor. But you need to check for the specific models, some Arcam A/V processors are as good as their own stereo preamp. I don't know how much better is the Rotel RC-1080 to the RSP-1069. I own an Onkyo receiver and always wanted a Rotel preamp but since I needed to use the same front speakers for HT & HiFi I needed the preamp to have HT bypass, so the RC-1080 was not an option. I waited for the new RC-1580 but the mexican distributor price it close to 3K dlls. So I better got I tubey Conrad-Johnson and the sound difference is day & night! Try to audition the preamp first before you decide.
      Thanks jaylra.. Auditioning where I live is simply impossible. It`s more probably that you win the national lottery than auditioning gear

Other input is welcome,

P.s. I wanted to mean RC1580 not RC1080 !
      Thanks

Comment

• Mikael
        • Aug 2007

I would go for the RC1580 pure hi-fi pre-amp, it is way better for stereo than the RSP1096 is.IMO.It has a more warm/natural sound.the RC1580.

Comment

• daspaceman
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mikael
          I would go for the RC1580 pure hi-fi pre-amp, it is way better for stereo than the RSP1096 is.IMO.It has a more warm/natural sound.the RC1580.
          Thanks for you answer Mikael. Have you heard both the preamps (RSP1069, RC1580) or you`re just guessing?

Thanks very much

Comment

• Mikael
            • Aug 2007

Yes I have heard both at the same time, AB test. The RC1580 with the RB1572 power amp is some of the best stereo performance I have heard. The RSP1069 is both thinner and harder sounding compared to the RC1580 more warm, relaxed and fuller sound.

Comment

• JDH
              • Sep 2004

I can't comment on the RC1080, however I own a Rotel RSP-1069 and Bel Canto Pre3 2ch pre-amp I use for 2ch music. It is connected between the RSP-1069 and my power amp using the HT bypass feature.

The Bel Canto Pre3 is definately a step up when doing a side by side comparison, that being said the RSP1069 is pretty good and probably would of been happy with it if hadn't used the Bel Canto. My main sources are either a Benchmark DAC1pre (used only as a DAC) or Slim Devices Transporter.

JDH.

Originally posted by daspaceman
              Hello,

If i buy a dedicated RC1080 preamp to use for hifi, instead of using the rsp1069,will there be a difference in hifi performance? and is it worth it.

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• daspaceman
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mikael
                Yes I have heard both at the same time, AB test. The RC1580 with the RB1572 power amp is some of the best stereo performance I have heard. The RSP1069 is both thinner and harder sounding compared to the RC1580 more warm, relaxed and fuller sound.
                Thanks Mikale, very interesting.

Do you think that the rb1080 (or the current equivalent solid state power amp) vs rb1572, actually sounds better?

One last thing.. I noticed that the RSP1069 sound thinner when using the analogue in as opposed to using it`s digital connection (using the rotels internal DAC). Was the kit you were demoing connected via analogue or digital connection?

JDH : What power amp and speakers are you using with the belcanto pre3?

Thanks,
                Kevin .

Comment

• BWzes03
                  • Oct 2005

I've got both a RSP-1098 in my dedicated Home Theatre, and a RC-1090 in my livingroom stereo system. I can say, without a doubt, even the RSP-1098, the top billin' pre/pro from Rotel is no match for the RC-1090 dedicated stereo pre-amp.
                  There's more depth, the stereo field is much spacier (in all dimensions) and most of all, it sounds 'effort-less'...
                  Of course, YMMV ... I'd say, audition one at home if at all possible ...

Comment

• JDH
                    • Sep 2004

I'm currenly using Australian made speakers and power amps. ie. Whatmough P33 4 ohm floor standing speakers and in terms of power amps I'm using the Elektra 2ch 2 x 250W Reference power amp and an Elkektra 7 x 185W power amp for the surrounds. I had prevously owned the Rotel RB-1080 and RMB-1075 but moved on from that combo as the Elektra combo sounded better and also I had ongoing issues with RB-1080 associated with the left channel failure even after I had the unit replaced 3 times and the last one had the official Rotel mod completed that was mean't to fix the problem.

JDH

Thanks Mikale, very interesting.

JDH : What power amp and speakers are you using with the belcanto pre3?

Thanks,
                    Kevin .
                    Last edited by JDH; 26 February 2010, 22:26 Friday.
                    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Mikael
                      • Aug 2007

I have had both the RB1080 and the RB1090 at home for a long time, and I settle with the small RB1072.The sound of the RB1080 is very linier and ok sounding, a bit on the lean side of sound. the RB1090 has a bit more and better bass more power and more control, but a thinner midrange and a harder treble compared to RB1080. The RB1072 has a very full but punche bass and a sweet midrange and a crips treble. I would say that the new RB1572 has all the good quality's of all the above.A full,punchy and controlled bass with a very sweet midrange and fluid treble, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• daspaceman
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BWzes03
                        I've got both a RSP-1098 in my dedicated Home Theatre, and a RC-1090 in my livingroom stereo system. I can say, without a doubt, even the RSP-1098, the top billin' pre/pro from Rotel is no match for the RC-1090 dedicated stereo pre-amp.
                        There's more depth, the stereo field is much spacier (in all dimensions) and most of all, it sounds 'effort-less'...
                        Of course, YMMV ... I'd say, audition one at home if at all possible ...
                        Thanks to all very helpful

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Hello,

There is no RC-1080. Do you mean an an RC-1070 or an RC-1082?

Nigel.

Comment

• daspaceman
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                            There is no RC-1080. Do you mean an an RC-1070 or an RC-1082?

Nigel.
                            neither ..... i meant the Rc1580

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"