X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

RMB 1066 vs RB 1070 vs RB 1080?

Hi,

I currently have a Denon 998 (equivalent to 2808CI) to drive a pair of B&W CDM9NT bi amping, but I always feel it doesn't sound as good as my previous Rotel RSX 1055 receiver. I asked this question a while ago, and the suggestion is to upgrade to a Rotel power amp. So, now, I have the money and was looking through Audiogon. The RB 1080 (200wpc) is selling around $550 while the RB 1070 (130wpc) is around $350. Also, there is a RMB 1066 which can be bridge to give 150wpc. I have several question.

Do you think I can hear the difference between the 130wpc and 200wpc? Is the extra $200 for RB1080 worth spending?

The 1066 is a 5 ch amp bridgeable. Will it sound the same as the RB1070? It just seem it is more flexible, so, is it a better choice?

If after all, I should get a 200wpc, should I wait for a RB991 or RB990? What is the price range for a used RB991 or RB 990?
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The RB-1080 is worth the extra $200.00 and would work great with CDM9NTs. I used to have a pair of those and have listened to the RB-1070 and RB-1080 on them. The RB-1080 is the way to go. The RMB-1066 is a nice amp and great for multi room systems or smaller systems but the RB-1080 would sound much better.

Eric

Comment

• vifferboy
      • Mar 2007

+1 on the RB1080....

Comment

• Alex Tang
        • Feb 2008

thank you for the reply. I can see a used RB 1080 for $550 on audiogon. With shipping, PayPal fee and conversion rate ( I am in Canada), it comes to $630. I would like to spend less. How about a RB 991 or RB 990? I read in other forum that the RB 991 is virtually the same, plus I also read the RB 1080 is having some quality issue. Is it better off to get RB 991/990?

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I have a 990 that was fully refurbished at Rotel two years ago and was used to power my front mains until I got a 1090. The 990 is good amp with respectable sonics and headroom (conservatively rated at 200 amps it is fast and seldom acts strained during demanding sessions). But I would not encourage you to get an older amp that has not been ‘refreshed’. Components like capacitors age and the performance and reliability may be compromised. IMHO, I recommend you spend a few extra bucks and get a 1080 with fewer hours and years on it, and some well worth design improvements.

Do a search here or maybe someone else will post regarding the how to identify the later model 1080 that was upgraded and also corrected an issue with one channel dropping out occasionally.

As always, JMHO YMMV
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"