X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Upgrade bug has hit again.Need Help.

I am planning on upgrading my whole system.My limit will be around $5000.00 to $7000.00 even though I do like my current set up (see signature) I just am not 100% satisfied.
    So what should I upgrade first.Should I upgrade speakers or electronics?I am not sure I want to stay in the Rotel and B&W family.Even though both are excellent products at times there is just a bit to much clarity for me with this combo.I will be looking for a fluid,smoother,more musical and less cold sound that the Rotel/B&W produces.
    I may even go the route of receiver instead of separates but would prefer separates.For speakers I am looking for a little more on the bottom end without loosing any in the mid and top.Any recommendations are welcome.Thanks.
    As a after thought I want to say that I just can not get the combo I have now to be satisfying.I have tried different IC's,power cords,dedicated circuits,power conditioners,speaker cables and so on.I have at times thought that I had it all just right but with extended listing and over time it ends up falling short of what I like.
  • kmckenn
    • Jan 2007

Trying to make a LONGgggggg story short, I have a Rega Apollo CD Player, RSX1056 as a PrePro (2) Bi-Amp'd B&K ST-202's on Vandersteen 2C's... ABSOLUTELY LOVE the "fluid, smoother, more (TRANSPARENT) musical" sound of it. Like most of us Audiophile's the quest for better is an addiction, regardless of what you have. Since I had the B&K's before the RSX1056, I had NEVER listened to the RSX1056 driving the Vandersteens. The smarter (obsessive Audiophile) me said that I could eliminate the degradation of interconnects to the B&K's and listen to the untainted internal Rotel amplification!!! (MUAHAHAhahaahahahahaaaaa!!!!).

Took about 30-45 min of doing all the wire/cable swapping and reconfiging the amp to undo Redirect. Took about 30-45 seconds to findout how much I did NOT like the "cold sound that the Rotel" setup gave me.

Bottom line.... Find an OLD B&K ST-202 ("Plus" if you want MORE power) for $250-$350, use it to drive your main speakers, and see if that does make your whole system gleem with that "fluid, smoother, more (TRANSPARENT) musical" sound you're looking for... its a CHEAP way to find out!

Best Intents,

Kevin

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

New floorstanders. Speakers are where the biggest gains are to be had.

If you decide to waste your hard earned dosh on overpriced interconnects, speaker cables, isolation feet etc then you can definitely afford a bottle of my magic oil ($199.95):

In fact you should really buy a couple of bottles. For two bottles I can do you a special price of $449.95.

Nigel.

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
        New floorstanders. Speakers are where the biggest gains are to be had.

If you decide to waste your hard earned dosh on overpriced interconnects, speaker cables, isolation feet etc then you can definitely afford a bottle of my magic oil ($199.95):

In fact you should really buy a couple of bottles. For two bottles I can do you a special price of $449.95.

Nigel.
        I may need 6 bottles if you have them in stock.Thanks

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I'd look at upgrading your speakers first, as already suggested. Speakers have the biggest impact IMO.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Ferres
            • Jan 2007

I'd consider an amp upgrade first. The Rotel RMB 1075 is rather dated by now with it's 130w per channel.

Add a higher end 2 channel stereo to the mix. With the added power, you'll have more options to upgrade your speakers as well.

The Rotel RMB 1075 will just limit your speaker choices. It might not be giving enough power to the bottom end of your 683's.

Comment

• rantzmar
              • May 2009

If you decide to upgrade your speakers, you may want to look at Dynaudio. Great speaker but can be kinda pricey. And if you want a more smoother, fluid warmer sound...something musical with a lot of personality and passion, give Musical Fidelity a look. I've been doing shootouts with different gear lately and I've found that Dynaudio is one of the best speakers out there, and if you want that sound you mentioned above without getting into tubes, Check out Musical Fidelity. I've recenty bought the Musical Fidelity Xrayv8 and boy what warmth, smoothness and passion without buying tubes. But of course it all depends on what type of music you like best. Certain gear just don't sound right with certain music, no matter how much money you spend. You gotta do a lots of research into getting the right gear for your taste in music.

Rantzmar.
              Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

After much thought and after bringing in some friends to do some listing I have decided not to change out my whole system.I needed some second hand opinions so decided to do some heavy listening with some friends.I did not tell them that I was thinking of changing out my entire system only that I needed a second opinion on some changes I was going to make.
                With the first listening I left all my exotic cables and snake oil in place.I got comments of a little harsh, too bright, too I like that.So a mixed review.I then changed out all the IC's and put stock power cords back on.I went with all monoprice IC's.Everyone thought it was much nicer this way.The brightness was gone and there was better bass extension.Not only did they think it sounded so much better but I did also.So I have left my system with this setup And have been listening to it this way for a few days now .I think what I may need though is more powerful amp for my mains.Just to give music that extra umph.

Comment

• Bostonears
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
                  I love the testimonial quote: “It was like a burka had been lifted”.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                    • Jul 2006

I highly recommend you make the following changes (or equivalent):

B&W N803 (Sell - B&W 683, B&W HTM62, B&W 685)
                    SVS PB-12 (Sell - B&W ASW300 x 2)
                    Rotel RB-1090 (Sell - Rotel RMB 1075)
                    PS Audio PPP (Sell - APC H15)
                    (Keep - Rotel RSP-1069)

I myself run three B&W N803's, a PS Audio PPP and Rotel RB-1091 Mono's with RSP-1068, and Dual SDX-15 subwoofers powered by two Crown XTI-4000's. (Lovin this sound)

It wouldn't even be fair to compare them because the stuff I recommend would blow your current rig right out of the water. Substantially better in ALL areas.

I don't want to insult your system or anything, but if you want my honest and frank opinion of how that stuff would compare to your current system, I would describe it as: a Weak, Shrill, Discombobulated sound.

As I said, it wouldn't even be fair to compare them.

Comment

• Opus007
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                      I highly recommend you make the following changes (or equivalent):

B&W N803 (Sell - B&W 683, B&W HTM62, B&W 685)
                      SVS PB-12 (Sell - B&W ASW300 x 2)
                      Rotel RB-1090 (Sell - Rotel RMB 1075)
                      PS Audio PPP (Sell - APC H15)
                      (Keep - Rotel RSP-1069)

I myself run three B&W N803's, a PS Audio PPP and Rotel RB-1091 Mono's with RSP-1068, and Dual SDX-15 subwoofers powered by two Crown XTI-4000's. (Lovin this sound)

It wouldn't even be fair to compare them because the stuff I recommend would blow your current rig right out of the water. Substantially better in ALL areas.

I don't want to insult your system or anything, but if you want my honest and frank opinion of how that stuff would compare to your current system, I would describe it as: a Weak, Shrill, Discombobulated sound.

As I said, it wouldn't even be fair to compare them.
                      The n803's may be a little over kill for my modestly sized room.14.5x13.5 with 8 foot ceiling.Also... though not the best system I have decided to keep what I have but I have moved to a pair of older 15" down firing subs and incorporated them into my system.I have also did a complete re-work of my system with speaker placement and moving all my electronics to a more suitable location.I have also started using digital coax from my cdp to pre as with my cdp to me the analog was cold and too forward.Now with the new subs and room tweaks I am actually enjoying rock again and enjoying what I have.Somewhere down the line I may upgrade but for now I am happy.
                      What you suggest are all good suggestions.
                      Thanks for the input.
                      Shaun

Comment

• Ken49r
                        • Dec 2007

Opus007,

Recently I've started working on room treatment. What a huge improvement! Before you give up on your current system I would consider working on the room 1st. One of the most overlooked components in a system.

Comment

• HDBLU
                          • Jul 2008

They also do not make the 1090 amp any more
                          2ch Setup
                          Krix Neupohonix
                          Musical Fidelity M6i
                          Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                          Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                          MIT

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"