• Jul 2008

Rotel for B&W speakers

So,

This is my current setup:

Pioneer 508XD
    Denon 2500BT
    Denon 3808
    B&W XT8, XTC and B&W inwalls

I would like to change my Denon 3808 for another amp.

Do you think the RSX 1560 is better than the Denon 3808?
    Video processing of the reciever is also important as I'm using a Blu ray transport.
    Would it be interesting to use seperats or not(daily use)?

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the poor english!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

magicvinny,

In a word, yes. I would make the move to the Rotel 1560. B&W's and Rotel go very nicely together. The power supply is better, circuits and parts are better. The video processing will be stout.

As for separates, that is the better long term plan. It tends to cost more now, but less in the long run. With separates, later on you only get or replace what you want. If a new audio format comes out, then you only need to replace the pre-amp. With a receiver and a new audio format, you need a whole new receiver.

The performace of separates is also better than almost any receiver. Especially with high performance gear like Rotel.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 19 October 2009, 07:09 Monday.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

^^^ Good answer! I agree with Steve.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• magicvinny
        • Jul 2008

htsteve,

If I'm reading your answer you would recommend seperates?

For the moment I could use the Denon 3808 as a pre-amp and use Rotel as amp.

My next question is:
        I have a 6.1 set up so I guess I need a 5 channel amp and a 2 channel amp.
        The XT8 also need a lot of power so what would you recommend?
        Do you think the 15 series are more suitable or the 10 series.

Vinny

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

vinny,

You've suggested a very good way to get into separates. Simply start with the amp. A Rotel amp would be a very good addition to your system. As you mention, use the Denon as a pre-pro for now.

As to the amp(s), you could do this a couple of different ways. You could get one really good 5 channel amp to run the front three and back two. Then use the Denon to power the rear center. The other option is the one you mentioned, a stereo amp for your mains, and a 5 channel amp for everything else. This is how I have my system.

For the long term , I do like a stereo amp on the main speakers, even in HT. IMO, excellent stereo is the basis for a great HT. This gives the main speakers, which are typically the most power hungry speakers, their own dedicated amp. Everything sounds better, soundstage, detail, dynamics, etc.

As for 10 series or 15 series, both are very good performers and will definitely upgrade your system. As the 15 series is newer, you are likely to find better deals on the 10 series. An RB1080 (200 watts X2) and a RB1075 (125 watts X5) would be a nice place to start in the 10 series. There are equivalent amps in the 15 series.

I've had both class A/B amps (most of the 10 series) and class D (digital, much of the 15 series). But are very good. I did find that the digital amps did seem to power the bass better. As always, if you can go listen to these, that is preferrable. Or an in home demo. You ears will tell you which you prefer.

If you have the budget to consider two amps, then that is definitely the best way to go. But if only one amp is OK for now, look for a good 5 channel amp.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by htsteve; 19 October 2009, 14:43 Monday.

Comment

• magicvinny
            • Jul 2008

htsteve,

Thanks for the fast reply.

One last question.

Don't you think I need 7*200 watts(rb-1080 and rmb-1095) instead of 5*125 watts and 2*200watts? So each speakers gets powerd the same amount of watts.

Vinny

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

The one thing I'll suggest is if you do only get a 5 channel amp to start, use the Denon to run the surround back speakers. That center channel will need a fair amount of power and you would want to keep it as close to the left and right speakers as possible.

Eric

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Vinny,

Ideally, you do want to power your speakers with relative equal amounts of power (preferably identical for HT purposes). This is especially true of the front three speakers. Also, there is definitely a defference between the XT8's and the typical B&W inwall in terms of power requirements.

I do agree with Eric's idea, thus keeping the power equal. I also like the 1080 and 1095 idea. That would be lots of current for your setup. Performance would be quite good, and a decided step up form the Denon's amp's. Even the 1095 alone would be excellent. I owned one, they are powerful, clean and dynamic.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

B&W P6?

hello all,

i have a pair of the b&w p6. they are ran by rmb-1075 & rsp-1066 proc.
                  do the p6's need more power? sometime the sound more open while playing jazz. and sometimes a little muffled. this month the setting are small for the speakers. a few months ago they were on large. i go back & forth every few months.
                  June
                  "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"