X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

803s + Rotel RB-1080 vs McIntosh MC252

After owning 803s for a week, i got another dilema, which i hope u'll help me..

When i first started to build my system, i wanted HT. Now i realized that 90% of the time i listening only stereo, and watching a movie or two per week, or playing some XBOX360 games (very rare in last period ).

I wanted after 803s to order HTM3S, and to finish my system to be good for both worlds: Pure Stereo and also HT.

But here is my dilema:

1. Instead of spending money for HTM3S to sell Denon 3808 + Rotel RB-1080, and to get McIntosh MC252 + some good stereo preamp.
    This way to have perfect stereo. (It's only worth if i really get very very big difference compared to combination that i have now).

2. Or just to get HTM3S and to keep Denon/ Rotel, and to have both worlds..

I would do number one, only if there is so huuuuuuugeeeeeeee difference for stereo compared to number two.

What do u think? Would i notice such a big difference enough to sarifice surround? Or still there can't be that much difference, and it's worth to have both worlds?

Greetings

Darko
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Whats your source and other elements (can I say the C word).

I am almost sick of hearing people rave about the synergy of Mcintosh and 800 series speakers so there is a good chance you will like what you hear.

Your listening habits sound a little like mine, at least in the percentages of HT v stereo.
    Getting those 803s to sing would certainly be my priority. Me, I decided to leave my HT components (centre and surrounds) in 700 series land to concentrate big time on the two channel. Listening to the Pixies, Augie March and some Mozart last night.......all I can say is Music Music Music.........Music (hello Australian watchers of ABC tv).

You must audition those speakers on the end of top quality 2 channel gear before going down the HT path, particularly if your budget is limited to the options you have mentioned.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

My personal inclination would be to maximize the 2 channel aspect and go for the best gear I could. But take my advice with a grain of salt - I'm definitely a 2 channel guy.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

A good matching centre is so important for surround, and they can be expensive. Hence your dilemma! But by adding one, your system will be much more flexible. Rotel amps are also really not bad, and its important to remember the rules of diminishing returns - besides you can always upgrade the amp(s) later if you deem it necessary. I'd say go for the HTM3S and immerse yourself in sound.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

2 channel is the foundation

Darko,

It's an interesting dilemma. However, a great two channel system is the foundation of a good HT sytem as well. And since you listen to 2 channel 90% of the time, my inclination is to recommend option #1.

I very much like your idea of getting McIntosh. I have Mac's driving my HT system, which is anchored by 802D's. The B&W's and Mac's are a very nice combination.

I had Rotel amps driving my system prior to getting the Mac's. The Mac's are superior in all aspects of audio compared to the Rotels (which are still very good).

You might consider a Mac integrated amp. It would drive your 803S extremely well. I would expect a HUGE improvement in a Mac integrated amp versus the Denon/Rotel combo. Even the MC252 would be quite an upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• specialized
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
            Darko,

It's an interesting dilemma. However, a great two channel system is the foundation of a good HT sytem as well. And since you listen to 2 channel 90% of the time, my inclination is to recommend option #1.

I very much like your idea of getting McIntosh. I have Mac's driving my HT system, which is anchored by 802D's. The B&W's and Mac's are a very nice combination.

I had Rotel amps driving my system prior to getting the Mac's. The Mac's are superior in all aspects of audio compared to the Rotels (which are still very good).

You might consider a Mac integrated amp. It would drive your 803S extremely well. I would expect a HUGE improvement in a Mac integrated amp versus the Denon/Rotel combo. Even the MC252 would be quite an upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's effort.. I really apreciate this forum becouse it's not ego based, and it's enthusiastic and most of u want to really help.

I can't believe how much i got envolved in music, it become one of my passions (which i got more then one ).

I definitly like 803s (i'm very glad about that after so much time spend on testing different speakers), and they make me to want to listen more and more....

To help my dilemma i organized with my dealer here to get Mac PreAmp + Mac AMP + AudioQuest Biwiring cable, and seem that i'll be able to test for few days..

So as i said.. If i feel very big difference, i'll sacrifice surround for stereo..

And also i'm sure u all agree it would be usefull test to get answers which most of us want to find..

Anyway.. Thanks a lot..

Darko

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by specialized
              Thanks for everyone's effort.. I really apreciate this forum becouse it's not ego based, and it's enthusiastic and most of u want to really help.

I can't believe how much i got envolved in music, it become one of my passions (which i got more then one ).

I definitly like 803s (i'm very glad about that after so much time spend on testing different speakers), and they make me to want to listen more and more....

To help my dilemma i organized with my dealer here to get Mac PreAmp + Mac AMP + AudioQuest Biwiring cable, and seem that i'll be able to test for few days..

So as i said.. If i feel very big difference, i'll sacrifice surround for stereo..

And also i'm sure u all agree it would be usefull test to get answers which most of us want to find..

Anyway.. Thanks a lot..

Darko

Which Mac pieces are you auditioning?

Another thought I had was for you to consider a upgrade to AV pre-amp. You could consider a high caliber AV pre-amp. The 2 channel section should be significantly improved vs. the Denon. It would also be an HT processor, so you would have the option of keeping and improving your HT set-up.

You use the HTMS3 funds, sell the denon and could persue this plan.

I have the Mac MX-120 AV pre-amp. I really consider it to be two devices in one box. It's a first class 2 channel pre-amp. And it handles the HT side extremely well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by specialized

Darko
                Also, make sure whatever pre-amp you think about getting, has the HT By-pass function. This enables you to use your stereo setup, along with a receiver or pre-pro you might add for HT down the road.

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                  Also, make sure whatever pre-amp you think about getting, has the HT By-pass function. This enables you to use your stereo setup, along with a receiver or pre-pro you might add for HT down the road.

HT By-Pass function? Can u explain me more about this?

Is it something like Pure Audio mode on my Denon (which i use for stereo).

Darko

p.s. I just founded on google.. thank u anyway
                  p.p.s. What i found about 803s... My room is very bright (no pictures on the walls, no carpet, no curtains), a lot of glass... Rotel RB-1080 is considered as harsh, RCD-1072 as bright.. And they still sound so soft, not harsh at all, and everything to be there.. I wonder what gonna happened if i ever changed my room styling and to improve acoustic

Comment

• Bluespower
                    • Sep 2005

Specialized,

I was in much the same boat as you a few years ago. I had tasted the quality of Rotel "direct" but wanted more. After alot of research I bought the ModWright SWL 9.0SE. The ModWright is a tube based 2-chan preamp with the "passthru" feature that is being suggested to you. It works like this:
                    • Connect your CD player to the 2-chan pre amp
                    • Connect your DVD player to your processor
                    • Connect your Left & Right pre amp outputs from your processor to the L & R "passthru" inputs on the 2-chan pre amp
                    • Connect the L & R "passthru" outputs to your front power amp

Now, when you want to listen to music, leave the "passthru" off and listen to your CDs thru the 2-chan pre amp and your front power amp.

When you want to listen/watch DVDs, turn on your processor and turn on the "passthru" on the 2-chan pre amp.

With this setup, the volume for DVDs is controlled by your processor. The 2-chan pre is passive and only allows the L&R channels to "passthru".

Your center and surrounds are amplified by your surround receiver OR if you have seperates, the processor and external power amp.

The ModWright is not inexpensive, but it WILL give you the kind of 2-chan satisfaction you're looking for with your 803s. PM me and I can give you some additional details, pics, etc. Happy hunting...
                    Bluespower

Comment

• Dmm53
                      • Nov 2007

I've been there too! I originally bought the 805S with the RB1080 and traded the speakers up first to 803S. Then bought a MC352 from Audio Classics. The speakers sounded hugely dfferent...they came alive. Single biggest difference I made in my system. I have made further improvements with a Mac C45 (not as big as the amp) and added tubes with a Tube Audio Design DAC, which really brought the whole two channel listening experience to a whole new level.

Go for a MAC, you won't believe what you are missing!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"