X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enty
    • Oct 2009

RSX-1055 and crackling noise from one speaker

Hello,

My old RSX-1055 has developed an annoying issue, probably a year ago now, and it seems it won't fix itself What happens is there's occational crackling noise coming out of the left speaker. It's most prominent shortly after turning the unit on, and usually starts going away after a while (5-10 minutes, but not always). It happens in "bursts", rather than being constant noise.

I've swapped speakers around to confirm that it's the amplifier and not the speaker that's causing it. The crackling volume is constant, regardless of amp volume and input and also present if the amp is muted. After I came back from vacation this summer the problem was completely gone for a month or so before it returned again.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and how to resolve it (without sending the entire unit back to Rotel)? A faulty circuit board?
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Unfortunately it sounds like a component issue. You could always send the unit for a quote, but it might be time to upgrade.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Enty
      • Oct 2009

Yes, that's what I fear.. It's definately time for an upgrade, but just didn't want to give up on the unit just yet. I'll check with Rotel and see what they think.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Most likely the DSP board. You can see if it does it when using the multi-channel inputs (which bypass the digital board).

If it is the board, expect about $600US.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Enty
          • Oct 2009

Thanks for the tip! It had been behaving well for a few days now, so I couldn't test it until tonight when it started crackling/scratching again. I tried your trick just now (using the multi button on the front). Result: No effect, same noise.

So I guess it's not the DSP board then.. Any other ideas?

Comment

• Tha Freak
            • Jul 2003

had the same issue, 6 months left on warranty...

Rotel changed the dsp board and some other stuff...

now it's working fine !!
            - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"