X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mintchris
    • Jun 2009

Upgrade to the RSX-1550?

So I just picked up a pair of 805S's and an HTM4S which I am thrilled with. THe only thing is that I am running them with my Pioneer 1018 receiver which I feel is undercutting their potential in a big way. My plan was to pick up a Marantz 6003 until I could afford some seperates. Another option that would push my budget pretty painfully would be to get a Rotel 1550. How much of an improvement will I hear with the Rotel vs my Pioneer? Night and day or will only trained ears hear the difference. Any thoughts on the Marantz as a 6 month stepping stone? I can sell my Pioneer and upgrade to the Marantz for only an extra $400 vs about $1500 extra for the Rotel.
    Thanks
  • TommyV
    • Feb 2007

The Rotel will sound many times better than your 1018. You may end up just keeping it and skipping separates. Also check into and 10 series gear left over that is on sale or if you want check audiogon for like a 1069/1075 combo.

Comment

• mintchris
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by TommyV
      The Rotel will sound many times better than your 1018. You may end up just keeping it and skipping separates. Also check into and 10 series gear left over that is on sale or if you want check audiogon for like a 1069/1075 combo.
      Thanks for the reply!
      I would definitely consider the 10 series but I am not too sure about how to set it up. Can I go for the 10 series and still get the lossless audio? I am using a PS3 right now.

Comment

• TommyV
        • Feb 2007

If you get a RSX-1058 or RSP-1069+amp then yes!

Comment

• mintchris
          • Jun 2009

If you get a RSX-1058 or RSP-1069+amp then yes!
          Awesome! How good will it sound compared to the new 15 series? Could I swap out the 1058 for the new 1570 eventually. Will the new processor work with the 1075 amp?
          Also how exactly do I get lossless from that combo?
          Thanks again!!

Comment

• bcampbell
            • May 2009

Not quite sure how you are doing your lossless at the moment but if you just use the hdmi input on the rotel you will get all of your lossless. I use the java ps3 media server which can send flac and alac audio wirelessly to the ps3. Then I have all of the possible formats checked on the ps3 since the rotel can accept all of them. When this is done the rotel will multi channel pcm or if you switch it to stereo mode it will say 2 channel pcm. It works great for me so let me know if you have any questions about setting it up.

Comment

• TommyV
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mintchris
              Awesome! How good will it sound compared to the new 15 series? Could I swap out the 1058 for the new 1570 eventually. Will the new processor work with the 1075 amp?
              Also how exactly do I get lossless from that combo?
              Thanks again!!
              Never heard the 15 series but you may never want to switch. Amps and processors don't need to match that is a strictly aesthetic thing. Any multi channel amp will work with any pre/pro so yes you could swap out for a new processor.

Comment

• mintchris
                • Jun 2009

Sorry to bump this thread back up but I am considering an RSX-1058 right now as a cheaper alternative to the 1550. Guy selling it says I will not hear lossless audio? Any thoughts?
                I will be using a PS3 for blu rays.
                Thanks!!!

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

You will hear all the lossless audio fine, the player will just be the one decoding it. In fact, since the PS3 cannot pass the hi-res formats bitstream (only decode them) you will see no difference with the 1058.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mintchris
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    You will hear all the lossless audio fine, the player will just be the one decoding it. In fact, since the PS3 cannot pass the hi-res formats bitstream (only decode them) you will see no difference with the 1058.

Kevin D.
                    OK thanks for that. I heard my speakers (805's/HTM4S) with a RSX-1550 recently and loved the combo. Will the 1058 get me close to that kind of performance? Is Rotel the best brand for a quality home theatre experience with B&W? If so am going to go for the 1058. I had been previously considering a Pioneer Sc-07 and I am currently using a Pioneer 1018.
                    Also can you comment on the video performance of the 1058?
                    Thanks again!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

The amplifiers in the RSX-1058 and RSX-1550 are the same. The main difference between the two is the internal decoding for the HD audio formats and the HDMI board to help make that happen. The preamp sections are also very similar if not the same so I think you will be just as happy with either one.

As for video performance in the RSX-1058, it's fine as long as the bypass is turned on. The scaler in both the RSX-1058 and RSX-1550 is not the greatest and that is why neither one touch the HDMI signal (with the bypass turned on the RSX-1058 ). The only thing they will scale is an analog video (composite, s-video, component) signal.

Eric

Edit was to get rid of the sunglasses face.
                      Last edited by hifiguymi; 19 October 2009, 16:35 Monday.

Comment

• mintchris
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                        The amplifiers in the RSX-1058 and RSX-1550 are the same. The main difference between the two is the internal decoding for the HD audio formats and the HDMI board to help make that happen. The preamp sections are also very similar if not the same so I think you will be just as happy with either one.

As for video performance in the RSX-1058, it's fine as long as the bypass is turned on. The scaler in both the RSX-1058 and RSX-1550 is not the greatest and that is why neither one touch the HDMI signal (with the bypass turned on the RSX-1058). The only thing they will scale is an analog video (composite, s-video, component) signal.

Eric
                        Thanks for that. I am somewhat new to all this so just trying to get as much info as I can before I make the purchase.

So just to confirm my PS3 will be able to decode the lossless audio and send it thru the 1058 and I will hear trueHD, etc coming out of my speakers?
                        I remember how nice my 805's sounded at the dealer with the 1550 so I would like to get as close to that as possible. Bottom line would you recommend this purchase? It would be a stepping stone until I can afford the 15 series.
                        Thanks again!!!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007

As long as you have the PS3 set to PCM it will decode all of the HD codecs and that is what you will hear (with either the RSX-1058 or RSX-1550). As an owner of an RSX-1058 I do recommend it. It's a wonderful sounding receiver and will work great with your 805S, HTM4S combo. You will be able to add a bigger and/or better amp later on and get into separates as well.

Eric

Comment

• wanderso
                            • Sep 2002

The drawback to the 10 series is no HDMI 1.3 and limited optical connections. I got rid of my 1066 and got two RSX-1057s at a great price back in Jan 09 and was very happy.

Finally went an dumped one of the 1057s (a phase 2.x version with only 2 HDMI) and got a great deal on a RSX-1550. Very happy with the 1550, mainly due to the price!

Comment

• TommyV
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by wanderso
                              The drawback to the 10 series is no HDMI 1.3 and limited optical connections. I got rid of my 1066 and got two RSX-1057s at a great price back in Jan 09 and was very happy.

Finally went an dumped one of the 1057s (a phase 2.x version with only 2 HDMI) and got a great deal on a RSX-1550. Very happy with the 1550, mainly due to the price!
                              The 1058 has more optical connections than previous 10 series models and four HDMI 1.1 A/V inputs. Also upgraded DACs from the 1057 which I owned. So except for the HDMI 1.3 and looks there is not much of a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"