upgrade from Marantz to Rotel rsx-1055 worth it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dharu
    • Jan 2004

upgrade from Marantz to Rotel rsx-1055 worth it?

Hiya,
    I really like the sound of my system It is awesome in stereo.The only thing I feel I might be lacking is a bigger sound stage and more involving sound.I really dont need it to go louder cause I live in an apt just better. I was wanting to get bigger speakers for the front B&W 602s3 and was wondering if I should go with a more powerful Marantz or upgrade to the Rotel rsx-1055.Do you guys think It will be a major upgrade over the Marantz sonically.please help me make a good decision.
    Thanks
    BTW:
    I currently am running B&W 601 s3 a cc6 center Lm1 rears and asw500 sub thru a Marantz sr5200.The receiver is capable of :

FEATURES
    85W/85W/85W (8 Ohm, Front, Center, Side Surround)
    Dolby Digital® (AC-3)5.1/6.1, DTS® 5.1/6.1 Compatible, Dolby Pro Logic®, Pro Logic® II (Movie, Music)
    Preset Modes: Hall, Stadium, Matrix,Movie
    All Discrete Amplifier Stages
    192 kHz / 24-bit D/A Converters (for front L & R channels)
    6 Channel Stereo Mode
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Marantz and Rotel both make great-sounding, albeit somewhat different-sounding equipment, but...

New speakers would make a more dramatic difference... and you'd need to do some serious auditioning to suit your tastes.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Welcome dharu

I'd personally say yes, get the Rotel but that's my opinion. Listen to both (as well as some other brands) and decide which sounds best to you and has the features you want. Also the 1055 is being replaced with a newer model

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• dharu
        • Jan 2004

Really,
        So changing my speakers from 601 to 602 is going to make more of a difference than the receiver ? hmmm
        I have auditioned all kinds of receivers Dont like the Denons or Hks BUT loved the Rotel Arcam B&K stuff cant afford the others though.
        So was hoping to get higher up on the Mid Hi-fi status with the Rotel purchase.I really dont care so much for more than 5.1 for now.So all things considered is the Rotel gonna knock my socks off as compared to a $ 800.00 Marantz Receiver like the sr6400 which offers 100watts x 6 and has all the useless bells and whistles.
        Thanks again for all your input

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Changing speakers will have a much more audible affect than any other change in your system. Period. So will you notice more of a difference with new speakers vs. new electronics? Almost definately. However you're only changing the size of the speakers not the make or series. You'll probably notice more bass extension with the larger ones. If you have the funds I'd suggest moving up a line for your mains/centre and move your 601's to the rear.

I don't know if the Rotel will be "knock your socks off" better but IMO Rotel sounded better enough for me to buy my 1066. Besides it sounds like you already decided you prefered the Rotel (along with the other, more expensive companies) So what do you want, features or quality?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• lespurgeon
            • Jan 2004

OK,
            First post.
            I was recently looking to upgrade my stereo. I was hoping I would like the Marantz 2-channel receiver. I listened to it and the RX-1050. The marantz was nice, but I found it less clear in upper frequencies than the Rotel when listening ot Jazz. I think on some other music forms (pop) the differences would be less audible.

I agree speakers have a more noticable effect on sound, but a receiver can be distinctive. I have KEF Q65s by the way.

Don't know about your area, buy I have the same dealer for Rotel, Marantz, and B & W - so if you are lucky you can compare everything you are interested in.

Comment

• dharu
              • Jan 2004

Thanks Aud,
              So Iam going to wait on buying those 602 till I have more money to move up to the Cm series maybe. I really dont care for features QUALITY is the reason for this upgrade.I have been hearing a lot about adding an additional 2 channel amp to an existing receiver for Stereo sound Is that something I should consider? MAybe a nice 2 channel Rotel added to the Marantz might be as good if not better than getting the rsx-1055.What do ya think?
              Thanks again

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Saving up for better speakers = good idea

Ok, now the tricky question....

Will adding a 2-channel amp to your Marantz be a good improvement? Yes.
                Will upgrading to the RSX-1056 be a good improvement? Yes.
                Will upgrading to the RSX-1056 and a 2-channel amp be an improvement? Hell yes.

So now you've got to do some thinking based on your listening preferences. Do you listen to a large percentage of 2-channel music? Then maybe you can stick with your Marantz for now, get the amp to improve stereo (and to a lesser extent movie) performance and upgrade later to the RSX-1056 and the better speakers. Keep in mind the amp can only do so much. It's just amplifying the signal you send it. So although you should have better extension, deeper bass etc it will still sound like the Marantz processing to some extent. The other option is to get the 1056 now and get it's "sound" that you seem to like so much but without the added extension etc of the additional amp. Most likely the Rotel's 75WPC will be pretty equivelant if not better then the Marantz's "100WPC" anyway. Then upgrade with the additional amp later.

Now I'm going to give you a third option that would improve movie, stereo and multi-channel audio performance. I only mention it as I believe that more people will be listening to more and more multi-channel audio as SACD/DVD-A become more prevalent. Get the 1056 now and upgrade to the 1075 or 1095 later. Though you'll "only" get say %98 stereo performance of one of the 2-channel amps in stereo, any multi-channel (movies or music) will sound that much better. Plus you get the bonus of additional channels to bi-amp, go 7.1 or do dual zone.

So now you've got to decide what's important to you both now and in the future.

Jason

Jason

Comment

• dharu
                  • Jan 2004

Nice One!
                  Drag me deeper into the hole will ya!So if from what i understand you are saying get the Rotel now.Play with for a bit and than when i can upgrade to a seperate 5 channel amp and add it using the Rsx-1056 as a processor.And hopefully by then should have a better range of speakers too.COOL!

leS,
                  As for auditioning all of the above You are right They carry All 3 brands Including the damn B&W NAutilus line ...drool!

Thanks guys for all your input and advice.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Pretty much I guess...lol. Nobody say's you have to do it all at once, though if you can, why not? I guess that means you decided on the additional power for all your channels, not just for stereo listening then....

Jason

Jason

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                      • Oct 2003

i will give you my take on this... if you are only moving within the series...i dont think you will get a "knock you socks off" improvement. for me anyway. i have audtioned the whole 600 series line...and was really unimpressed. i felt the dynaudio line...audience was a better value...if you ask me.
                      also, dont down play the tonal difference that the amp will make. if you are staying with the same line of speakers , and going with a compete different line of amp...then i feel the amp will produce more of a difference then the speakers will.
                      the rotel and B&W marriage will be a brighter sound. i have heard the NAD and B&W and that was a more mellow and layed back sound. i have neebr auditioned the marantz line...so i cannot comment on the sound...but from what i have read...the marantz is also on the more layed nack, warm sound.
                      i think it will depend on what you llisten to more...and wh at YOU like in asound...brighter...or warmer.
                      i would really say that you Audition as much as you can!!!!!!! this si the only way that you will be able to discern the differenc for yourself. its nice to listen to what ohter people say about things...but it is ultimal=tkey your ears that have to live with the sound. good luck!!! keep us informed as to what you decide to get!!!

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

I agree with ArtV -- except for the speakers vs amp making the bigger difference.

The big picture is that I don't think you'll realize the significant quality difference you seek by making a relatively small adjustment upward... the one exception would be if you tried completely different makes of speakers... B&W makes fine speakers, but there is a world of other speakers manufactured with different musical point of view.

Yes, if you make all the suggested moves -- Rotel receiver, outboard amp, upgrade speakers a series -- you should attain discernible improvements.

But as it stands, you have respectable gear... you've stated your satisfaction with it... you could upgrade in a number of ways, and I'll always suggest speakers if only one area can be addressed... strictly my opinion, but the one speaker match to a Marantz that I've found to be amazing is Monitor Audio... their detailed resolution mated with Marantz's smooth presentation really makes sweet music... MAs won't break the bank either.

Happy hunting.
                        greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• dharu
                          • Jan 2004

Thanks Guys,
                          So back to the drawing board OR Listening room is more like it.I really like the new 700 series B&W So will see if I can rob my boss or con my wife :?

Art ,do you have any part in redesigning the New Memorial at world trade

Comment

• spizzi
                            • Aug 2003

I used to own the Marantz SR7000 and I loved it. The primary reason why I looked at the Rotel 1055 is because it just plain looked good. I also bought it because I had read reviews that Rotel matched with B&Ws is a good setup. I have B&W 603s3, LCR600, ASW650, 601s3 and just love the sound. I highly recommend purchasing the Rotel 1055 if the funds are readily available for you.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                              • Jul 2003

Remember also that:

Speakers and power amps don't really change over the years...

processors, players and other electronics improve faster than the speed of light these days, the RSX-1055 (or 56) is very good (I own a RSX-1055) but soon the processor will be out-dated...so you will have to get a new one...

I would suggest, get speakers that will please you for the longest period of time, ie: getting a upper line (like the CM line or better the 700) instead of picking a bigger model from the same line (moving from 601 to 603).

I then would get a nice 2ch power amp (or a 5ch if you watch more movies or multi-channel music)...

And then replace your Marantz with a pre/pro (like the 1098 :LOL: )

But you will have to decide, alle the roads are going to the same place...some are quicker but bumpier, some are longer but smoother!!

like aur19 (Jason) states in his sig: "Like women, nobody said this was going to be cheap!"

good luck!!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
                              -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
                              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"