X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • realalan
    • Sep 2010

New AV amp or upgrade sub/use two channel

After some happy years with a Marantz SR7002, all HDMI input connections have now stopped working (audio), and I don't want to use RCA or other digital connections from source components to replace the HDMI. I was going to upgrade the centre speakers and rears eventaully (I currently have a BOSE Acoustimass 5 ops: ).

I don't have a 3D screen and not to concerned at the moment with all the hype about 3D TV, and don't need the amplifier for stereo CD sound (I have a all Classe system comprising CP700, CA2200 to B&W 805s for that). The reciever is really for watching DVDs and BluRay from a PS3 and seperate satellite TV via HDMI (my Pioneer Kuro only has one HDMI 1.1 connection).

In addition, I believe HC has yet to mature - 5.1, 7.1 or 2, 9.2 L/R high channels, HDMI 1.4 etc etc all in the last few years, so am will to sit on the fence for a while before settling on a higher end pre/pro.

My options therefore are:

1. Buy a new AV reciever eg Pioneer LX53, Denon AVR3311 or Onkyo TX NR808 to replace the Marantz. These amps are roughly the same budget that replaces the Marantz - sorry, not willing to spend more than that until some of my concerns/criteria above stop shifting.

2. Buy a B&W PV1 sub to directly connect to the output of the Kuro, with L/R channels connected to the Classe pre amp.

Any other options or opinions appreciated.
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

I have similar situation of struggling with no HDMI process right now and looked into those receivers as well. I spent a lot of time of reading about Denon's 3311 and right now i'm looking at Marantz Av7005. It costs a little more for getting the new Marantz(msrp 1500 vs msrp 1200), however I'm living in the New York City that cost of electricity is really high. I would rather spend a little more at the beginning to save on the bill in long term(saving some trees that way too). Don't forget summer time leaving them on generates more heat and more A/C to cool them down as well.
    If you have an amp already Marantz might not be a bad idea since you have the old Marantz and probably be used to the same sound.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• realalan
      • Sep 2010

Thanks Vinny

Marantz SR7005 is getting some good reviews, and the SR7002 is very good with two channel sound (bi-amp) :P In fact if you like jazz or female vocals, Marantz is very good - for movies less so on the SR7002, so I think they've fixed that 'laid back' sound on the new SR7005, although maybe you should audition it first.

However, that requirement is low on the priorities for the AV amp now. I really just need it at the moment for watching movies etc - so much so, that I may even consider lower end models (from Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer) as will upgrade later once HT direction with 3D (and HDMI) has settled.

Believe the Denon in standby is only 0.1W, and the Onkyo and Pioneer are not that far behind (compared to when fully driven!). The SR7002 was warm but never hot - not enough to keep you warm in the winter!

Comment

• Vinny
        • Mar 2006

Well I'm speaking of the AV7005 which would be SR7005's processor version, I guess they are pretty much the same except balanced output and the amp part.
        I own a parasound amp, 3311's amp section cannot be switched off is a problem to me, and 4411's way over 1500(can turn the amp section off. 2000msrp, possible getting it for 1500+tax but NYC's tax is almost 9%, while I can get Marantz AV7005 for 1500 tax included).

I spend 95% of my time for movies and everyone says Marantz are not that great with the movies, I wonder if it still stands true for the newer models or just the old models had that tendency. Afterall Marantz is now Denon, I don't know if they are really making a big difference

If not I will suck up with electricity usage and go ahead for the 3311, or possible 4411
        Pioneer KRP-500M
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Parasound 5125
        Oppo BDP-83
        SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I would dispose of the Acoustimess first-but I'm notoriously NOT a fan of Blose. Check repair costs and maybe save enough to dump everything with the "Better sound through marketing" stigma?
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• realalan
            • Sep 2010

Never said I was happy with 'Blose', in fact that's one of the weakest links in the AV system, but everyone had to start somewhere....I'd hate to ask Marantz how much to fix the SR7002...buying a new AV amp maybe cheaper?

@ Vinny, a pre amp is out of the question at the moment. Cannot justify buying additonal power amps to feed rears, centre and front height (or rear/ sides)!!!!

Comment

• Vinny
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by realalan
              Never said I was happy with 'Blose', in fact that's one of the weakest links in the AV system, but everyone had to start somewhere....I'd hate to ask Marantz how much to fix the SR7002...buying a new AV amp maybe cheaper?

@ Vinny, a pre amp is out of the question at the moment. Cannot justify buying additonal power amps to feed rears, centre and front height (or rear/ sides)!!!!
              If youre at this state, I'd say look into Denon 3311, a receiver under 900 for all these features is just hard to beat. Everyone just rave about the DynEQ and dynamic volume for movies
              Pioneer KRP-500M
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Parasound 5125
              Oppo BDP-83
              SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                • Oct 2009

What about a Yamaha RX-V7?

They are on sale right now at www.newegg.com for like $1499. They need a firmware update when you get them(might be why they are marked down). Anyone on this forum can probably handle that. I read one heck of a review on this receiver. Can't remember where, but the amplifier section puts out an honest 140Watts/channel unlike most receivers(I believe the review implied that it rivaled Yamaha's flagship model). Here's a link if you are interested.

Here is the review. Found it. The review addresses the Firmware stuff.
                The Yamaha RX-Z7 offers benchmark performance in virtually every category with all of the latest audio and video processing features, along with a host of multi room and networking capabilities.

Good hunting
                "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"