X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macwrede
    • Apr 2009

Bi-amping RB-1080 AND RMB-1075?

Hi all...

I have a RB-1080 bi-wired to a pair of B&W 803S and a RMB-1075 driving the center and rears (which btw, are nowhere near the quality of the B&Ws). Can I tap into the 2 unused channels on the 1075 to bi-amp the 803S? Is this even feasible considering the difference in power between the 1080 and the 1075? I hate to have 125 wpc going to waste but can't justify 7.1 at this time. Thanks for your input!
  • macwrede
    • Apr 2009

In searching other posts, I have found my answer, albeit not the one I was hoping for. Here is a post from Kevin from a previous thread where he essentially answered the same question. It appears that I could do this, but in so doing would limit either the mid/tweeter or woofers to only 125 watts in the case of a RMB-1075. I guess logic would dictate that bi-amping would not be additive. That would be nice though!

..."Of course keep in mind you're still only sending 200 possible watts to the speakers. Just that the woofers can have a full 200 watts and the mid/tweet can have another full 200 watts. People have had mixed results in the bi-amp department, it's not going to be the same as getting a 400 watt amp."

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Thanks. I was going to let some others chime in before I posted something along those lines.

Yes, you would be sending less 'possible' power to the tweeter/midrange unit in the end.

Kevin D.

Comment

• macwrede
        • Apr 2009

Thanks Kevin. There certainly does not seem to be a consensus on the benefits (or lack thereof) of bi-amping. However, its hard not to want to tinker. In your opinion, would it be worth the investment in a pair of speaker cables to bi-amp my center speaker (Polk) with the 1075, or should I just add this money to my HTM3S fund?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Depends on how much you feel you need to spend on speaker wire. I wouldn't spend too much on an experiment, but you may be one of those who hears a huge difference.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"