X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Biamping with the 802D's

Has anyone tried doing A/B comparisons on the 802D's with biamping vs. not biamping?

I was wondering how much better it would sound with two Classe 3200 power amps (200 watts per channel) biamped on my 802D's/HTM2D as opposed to just using one 3200 amp for the three speakers.

Thanks!
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
    Has anyone tried doing A/B comparisons on the 802D's with biamping vs. not biamping? I was wondering how much better it would sound with two Classe 3200 power amps (200 watts per channel) biamped on my 802D's/HTM2D as opposed to just using one 3200 amp for the three speakers. Thanks!
    I am looking forward to hear if any one had that experience as I would like to potentially do the same. with the CA-5200
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I had bi-amped my CAV-150 (150 watts times 6 channels) to drive my front three speakers, which then theoretically delivered 300 watts driving each speaker. I first did this with 703 L/R fronts and an HTM1 center, and later did it with my 803D L/R fronts with the HTM1 center. I currently use this amp to bi-amp my HTM2D center and my 703 surrounds.

No, I did not use any testing devices other than my actual ears for listening.

I noticed more fullness of sound, clearer and stronger mids/highs, and stronger controlled bass at all volume levels.

Classe had recommended that I use the bi-amping feature of this amp to get the best out of my front three speakers. Maybe they had done a bit of scientific testing on their own . . . before they offered their suggestion/learned opinion!

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
        • Dec 2005

Thanks Beden. I was referring to one amp for the low end and a different amp all together for the high end. I guess this is very uncommon since no one is posting about it.

But it was good to hear about the experiences you had with your configuration.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
          I had bi-amped my CAV-150 (150 watts times 6 channels) to drive my front three speakers, which then theoretically delivered 300 watts driving each speaker. I first did this with 703 L/R fronts and an HTM1 center, and later did it with my 803D L/R fronts with the HTM1 center. I currently use this amp to bi-amp my HTM2D center and my 703 surrounds.

No, I did not use any testing devices other than my actual ears for listening.

I noticed more fullness of sound, clearer and stronger mids/highs, and stronger controlled bass at all volume levels.

Classe had recommended that I use the bi-amping feature of this amp to get the best out of my front three speakers. Maybe they had done a bit of scientific testing on their own . . . before they offered their suggestion/learned opinion!

I believe that is called "bridging".
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Here is an interesting link for Bi-Amping vs Bridging

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
              I believe that is called "bridging".
              No, my amp has a bridge mode and a bi-amp mode . . . and I bi-amped the speakers using the 1 & 2 channels for the center, the 3 & 4 channels for the left surround, and the 5 & 6 channels for the right surround.

Bridging would combine the power of the 1 & 2 channels, for example, and send the combined power to the +/- terminals connection of one speaker.

The passive bi-amping I'm doing, sends the power of channel 1 to the mids/highs terminal, and channel 2 sends the power to the bass terminal of one speaker, for example.

From what I've read, and what Classe told me, was that the bridge mode generates more distortion than using the bi-amp configuration.

What I have found interesting, is that the amp channels that are powering the mids/highs of each speaker, run cooler than do those powering the bass sections.

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Anyone bi-amped two CA-5200 with 802D? and if so what difference can you hear if any!

Comment

• Srrndhound
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                  I had bi-amped my CAV-150 (150 watts times 6 channels) to drive my front three speakers, which then theoretically delivered 300 watts driving each speaker.
                  It is indeed beneficial to use bi-amping as you describe, as he mid/HF drivers are then isolated from the bass amp, which as to work harder to control the woofer cones. As you noticed, the mid/hi amps run very cool in comparison. That's the amount of power no longer being delivered by the bass amp. The net total drive available to the speakers is essentially the same. It just sounds better and runs cooler.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"