X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Watts the difference?

Sorry for the title. I can't stand puns and have NO idea why I did it. ops:

And warning - I'm posting this in both the B&W and Rotel forums. Sorry if you read it twice.

Since the introduction of Rotel's 1077 "digital" amplifier, I've been stressing my brain on understanding an amplifiers ability to drive a speaker. My understanding is that an amplifier my supply x watts to y ohms load with z distortion, and that as the ohms increase, the amount of watts may change. And ideally, watts should be inversely proportional to ohms (eg, 100 watts at 8 ohms = 200 watts at 4 ohms). I know more power is good and not enough power will cause "clipping" and can damage speakers.

So, I'm looking at B&W 803's (50-250 watts) and 2 different brand of amplifiers in 2 power ranges... a Classe 100 watt/ch and 200 watt/ch, a Rotel 100 watt/ch and 200 watt/ch. What I'm trying to compare/understand is the difference between 100 vs 200 watts/ch within the SAME brand. The other thing I want to understand is the differences between brands (Rotel vs Classe) within the SAME watts/ch.

So, what difference does more watts make when essentially the rest of the specifications are the same? And what difference does a higher quality amplifier make when you compare the same wattage (and more importantly, what causes it)?
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"