X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Oppo BDP-83 with Rotel 1069 issue

I'm getting no sound from the Oppo connected to a Rotel 1069 via HDMI.
    The picture is fine. However, I get no audio. I have LPCM selected in the setup menu for HDMI Audio options. The Secondary Audio is turned off. The output resolution is set at 1080p (Pioneer 141FD). The Primary Output is selected as HDMI. Mute is not activated on either component. Volume is up.

The Rotel is selected to accept HDMI audio for the specific video input.
    2CH PCM remains on the Rotel display. It should be displaying multi-channel for blu-ray and 44.1Khz for CD's. I'm at a complete loss here.

Any suggestions out there?
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Ok, there is another kind gentleman on another forum who helped me identify a hdmi handshaking issue with the Rotel 1069 and my pioneer display.

Once I disconnect the Pioneer HDMI connection, I get audio.
    It looks as if audio is being passed to the TV, but the TV don't want audio.

This means the Oppo has to handshake all the way through to the display to verify copy protection, etc., and that could be the issue because the display may very well be set to say it doesn't WANT audio over HDMI.

Problem is, Within Rotel's "HDMI Audio Mode," I have "AMP Mode" selected so that it DONT pass audio signals to the TV.

Geepers. On another input I'm using a PS3 successful with all of these settings. But the Oppo won't work. Why does the Rotel work with the PS3 and not the Oppo? Anybody?

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

Because HDMI is a screwy interface and every company is left to try and make sense of it their own way.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The 1570 should be in "AMP mode", the manual says in "TV mode" there is no audio output from the 1570. You selected HDMI audio, so thats correct. Perhaps there are some more settings in the Oppo? And also check you're using the latest devices firmware.

HDMI can be very frustrating! What started as a good idea has just ended up a headache. I wonder what designers think of it, because if it were easy to implement, I'm sure we wouldn't be having all these compatibility problems.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• chanlon
          • Sep 2003

Frustrating.... Its tough to explain how I'm feeling. I have the latest firmware on the players. I have searched the web far and wide.
          I can't believe there are not people out there with an Oppo, Rotel and Pioneer combination.

I sent an email to Rotel Tech Support. I'll have to wait to hear back from them. I have always found them great to deal with. It might not even be a Rotel issue anyways.

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

Only other thing you could try is just plug the Oppo into the HDMI jack and same cable that you are using and getting audio to see if that changes anything. I do have an Oppo 970HD hooked to my 1069 and there are no issues using HDMI for audio and video.

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

I tried that as well. Unfortunately, that didn't correct the problem.

Furthermore, I had the Oppo 970HD before I bought the bluray - it worked perfectly.

Thanks anyways.

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

PLAN B: Use the multi-channel inputs for sound.

I have a rsp-1068 with a panasonic bd-55. I have issues with HDMI, only use it for video purposes.
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• chanlon
                  • Sep 2003

I owned a 1068. This was the PRIMARY reason I got rid of it. Too many cables!
                  Now I have one cable that don't work but looks good. Ironic isn't it?

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Is your TV at the latest firmware?

Kevin D.

Comment

• june
                      • Feb 2005

chanlon,

i need to take the course on hiding cables. but great sound trumps too many cables. "CHOOSE YOUR PAIN"
                      June
                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• chanlon
                        • Sep 2003

Kevin,

In the process of checking out the Pioneer firmware.
                        I also identified that the Apple TV and Xbox 360, connected to the Rotel 1069 do not pass video and audio either. Once again, if the HDMI is disconnected from the Pioneer, sound returns.

The Rotel and Pioneer combination really don't like one another at this point.

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

And you're sure you're in Amp mode? Have you tried playing with this setting?
                          Do you see the Rotel OSD on the Pioneer? That must work, as its not protected.
                          Can you try a component connection to the TV? The AppleTV also has Component outputs, so that should work fine too.
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• TommyV
                            • Feb 2007

Yea my TV is a Pioneer Kuro but not the same one you have and every HDMI component I have hooked into it works fine Audio and Video.. I would double check the setup menus on you 1069.

Comment

• chanlon
                              • Sep 2003

TommyV - are you using an Oppo bluray player?
                              Also, is it connected to the 1069 only through HDMI? Is this connected to the Pioneer to HDMI?
                              And...what model Pioneer display do you have?

Sorry about all the questions.

Comment

• TommyV
                                • Feb 2007

No as I said I above mine is an Oppo 970HD. Yes I do use HDMI into the 1069 and then into my Pioneer with no problems. My Pioneer is the PDP-5080HD. I could test my XBox 360 but you should just confirm first you have the right settings for that input set in your Rotel.

Also check your Rotel firmware. Make sure you do not have one of the older versions.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"