X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • May 2006

RSP 1069 vs. RSP 1570 What Is Gained?

I am currently using my RSX-1057 as a Pre to my RMB-1075. I currently use a PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, but after I have a dedicated Pre/Pro that I can use HDMI for both audio and video I'll get a dedicated Blu-Ray player too.

What I'd like to know is, what do I gain in practical terms by spending for the new RSP 1570 vs. finding a less expensive RSP-1069? I'm not real clear what some of the differences are. The 1069 can only do HDMI 1.1 not 1.3 right? What does that mean? And what about the True HD and True DTS (is that the right term?). Can the 1069 receive those, or is it limited to a "lesser" quality of audio signal?

I don't have to have the latest greatest, but don't really want to be missing anything or wishing I just spent more either. Any thoughts? I'm pretty out of the loop on the newer things and their differences. I appreciate any help.
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

From what I know the 1570 is just the 1069 with a new faceplate and HDMI 1.3. The 1069 can play the new HD sound formats, but unlike the 1570 it cannot decode them.

So if you get an 1069 you will need a bluray player capable of decoding HD sound, such as the Oppo BD83 or the Panasonic BD60. Then set the player to output sound as multi channel PCM.

PS: I should add, that if you go with the 1069, you should update the scalar firmware to the latest version. Earlier versions had a variety of handshake issues.

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
      • Jun 2004

Alternatively, one could buy a dedicated bluray player such as the Panasonic BD-50 which can decode the Hi-Res formats and send them via its 7.1 analog outputs to your preamp / receiver (the RSX-1057 has analog 7.1 multi-inputs). OK, I have to admit that this practice does not involve HDMI, but you wouldn´t have to spend any money on a new preamp.
      Last edited by Wolfenstein 2k2; 21 February 2010, 17:56 Sunday.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Since you use a PS3 for your BD player you could use either the RSP-1069 or RSP-1570. The RSP-1570 does have HDMI 1.3 and a newer more powerful DSP engine so it can decode Dolby TrueHD and dtsHD Master Audio but the PS3 will decode them so you really don't need it done in the preamp.

Just make sure, as was already suggested, that it has the HDMI bypass installed.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

Thanks for the replies. How do I make sure the 1069 has the HDMI bypass installed? Also, what audio setting would I use on the 1069 so that I get the Dolby TrueHD and DtsHD if the player is doing the decoding?

Thanks again for your help!
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

To make sure the RSP-1069 has the bypass installed you can e-mail Rotel with the serial number and they can tell you for sure if it has it.

As for the audio, you set that in the player not the preamp. There is an option in the PS3, like most BD players, for PCM output and that turns on the decoder in the player. With that on it will output a multi channel digital signal through the HDMI and the preamp will read MULTI CHANNEL on the display.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2006

Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff. If the bypass isn't installed, what is involved in getting it installed? About how much does this cost?

Thanks,
              Ted

Comment

• Opus007
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ted
                Sorry, I don't know much about this stuff. If the bypass isn't installed, what is involved in getting it installed? About how much does this cost?

Thanks,
                The bypass board installation is free.You may have to pay shipping to Rotel though.

Comment

• Ted
                  • May 2006

Okay, before I jump on a 1069, I wanted to ask if it is possible to add the HDMI bypass to a 1098 so you can hear Dolby TrueHD and DtsHD like you can on the 1069? If so, is this a free upgrade like it is on the 1069? Thanks again for any help.
                  Ted
                  Ted

Comment

• Opus007
                    • Nov 2007

You can add a hdmi board to the 1098 but the 1098 does not pass audio over hdmi with the newly installed board.So you will not get the hd audio.Best bet is a 1069 or newer 15xx series.Also the hdmi board is a pass through only board when upgraded on the 1098.The Bypass board cost $300.00 + shipping.Hope this helps.

Comment

• Ted
                      • May 2006

Opus007

I get it, that helps a lot. I apprecate your help. Looks like I'll look for a 1069 (or killer price on a 1570).

Thanks again! ;x(
                      Ted

Comment

• kmcheng
                        • Jan 2008

If I am buying a new processor today I would definitely try out the new Emotiva processor. It is about the same price as a used Rotel 1069.

Comment

• Opus007
                          • Nov 2007

If considering the Emotiva I would wait on that one as it is riddled with bugs at this point.It does look to be a good performer for the price but at this point with all the bugs ...I would wait.All you have to do is look at the Emotiva forum to see all the problems.Unfortuanate to say the least.

Comment

• kmcheng
                            • Jan 2008

I did not know about the bugs of the new Emotiva processor. I was considering waiting for the it before I bought my 1069. I am now so glad I did not wait. The 1069 may have own its bugs, but fortunately none of it affect my applications.

Wasn't the Emotiva processor delayed for more than two years because of bugs?

Comment

• Opus007
                              • Nov 2007

Not sure how long it was delayed or in production.All I know is there is a lot of unhaapy umc-1 owners out there.There are also a lot of happy owners of the umc-1 who say the bugs will get fixed, or they can live with the bugs.Just to be clear I am not bashing Emotiva.

Comment

• chanlon
                                • Sep 2003

My personal experience is to spend the extra money and get the 1570 if you are going to be using HDMI and Rotel. The newer HDMI board works much better than the 1069 in dealing with potential handshaking issues.

I have owned both, and the 1570 is a much bigger improvement in that specific area IMO.

Comment

• Opus007
                                  • Nov 2007

Personaly I have never had a hdmi handshake problem with the 1069.I have DTV,HTPC and PS3 being feed to the 1069 via hdmi and outputing to my pj via hdmi.When I had it connected to my tv I had no problems there also.Moving up the line to the 15xx series is a good suggestion but due to price it is not a option for those looking to not break the bank and get the best possible solution for a good price.I bought my 1069 a year ago for under half the msrp and it was a new unit.

Comment

• chanlon
                                    • Sep 2003

Google "Rotel 1069 and HDMI handshaking problem"
                                    There are several people with problems with this unit and handshaking.
                                    To be fair, its not always the fault of Rotel. However, most of my problems magically disappeared with the 1570. Every now and then my unit loses audio when I pause a DVD then attempt to play the audio again. However, at least I can get audio now! he he.

I know of at least 2 other people who my dealer is "dealing" with re: the exact same Rotel 1069 handshaking issue I was experiencing.

Comment

• Opus007
                                      • Nov 2007

I guess I am fortunate then to have no problems.Only thing I wish the 1069 did that it does not do now is to decode the hd codecs but other than that I am very happy with the 1069.When Rotel comes out with a new pre then I will consider a new pre but I am sure that is a few years away. :T
                                      Edit:And I did Google HDMI handshake problems with RSP 1069 and came up with only a few results and whats funny is there are more results for the 1570 with handshake problems.Hmmmmm.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                        • Jan 2008

Opus,

I am sure you know this already. Even though the 1069 does not decode HD codecs, you can still use it if your bd player does. Also, the new 1570 can decode the new HD codec, so may it is time to upgrade!

Personally I am perfectly happy with my 1069. The hassle of changing out the main component and re-connecting the cables and re-programming my remote will prevent me from upgrading my processors for years to come.

Comment

• timjclark
                                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by kmcheng
                                          Personally I am perfectly happy with my 1069. The hassle of changing out the main component and re-connecting the cables and re-programming my remote will prevent me from upgrading my processors for years to come.
                                          Swapping cable connections and programming the remote are the fun stuff for me. I use a Logitech Harmony remote and they are fantastic for programming system changes - I just keep the Rotel remote in a drawer for any system configuration changes. What I don't like is paying for the new gear...

I bought my 1069 in April 2009 new old-stock for $899! For that price, I'll "deal" with letting my PS3 decode the latest.

I probably wouldn't consider the 1570 until the next generation comes out. But then again, I'm happy to be behind the curve and have more toys. :P
                                          -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                          -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                          -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                          -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                          -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                          -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• Opus007
                                            • Nov 2007

I also am very happy with my 1069 and for what I payed for it I consider it a steal.And yes I have no problems letting the ps3 do the decoding.I will not upgrade also till the next generation and due to the the economy and money being tight I could not upgrade now even if I wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"