X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildpanda86
    • Jul 2009

RSX-1550 & Oppo BDP-95 Blu-Ray

I just picked up an Oppo BDP-95 as I was drawn to the high end DAC's and the fact that it uses a Rotel power supply so it's the closest thing to a Rotel Blu-ray player there is.

Now I'm trying to decide if the Oppo BDP-95 is worth it for use with my RSX-1550 vs just using the BDP-93.

Will I notice a positive difference using the multi-channel inputs (using the BDP-95's DAC's) on the RSX-1550 vs HDMI (the RSX-1550's internal DAC's)?

Am I better off just connecting L/R stereo inputs from the BDP-95 for 2 channel audio? and stick with HDMI for HT audio? Is this setup even possible into the RSX-1550?

If I decide to go with the multi-channel inputs... what is the best setup menu items to select on the Rotel and the Oppo?

or should I just keep it simple and return it for the BDP-93 and just stick with HDMI...
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

No HDMI......Except to the TV... Use the Oppo's DAC's and connect all of them to the Rotels multi inputs. You won't be sorry....It's gonna sound great. The Oppo 95 has vastly better DAC's than the 93. Also, get another separate pair of good RCA cables for the stereo ouput of the Oppo and be sure to hit the 'pure audio' option on the Oppo remote when using it. Plug those RCA cords into the CD input on the Rotel and use it only for music listening. With Multi, adjusts will have to be done via the Oppo menus I believe. First adjust the Rotel outputs using an SPL meter for all channels for music. Then, adjust the Oppo multi inputs using a SPL meter for the movies and multi channel sound. Have fun and enjoy the sound. I'll be great!!

Also very important. Make sure via the Rotel's menus tto indicate the distance that each speaker is from the listening position. This is very important for proper multi channel sound presentation.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wildpanda86
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by madmac
      No HDMI......Except to the TV... Use the Oppo's DAC's and connect all of them to the Rotels multi inputs. You won't be sorry....It's gonna sound great. The Oppo 95 has vastly better DAC's than the 93. Also, get another separate pair of good RCA cables for the stereo ouput of the Oppo and be sure to hit the 'pure audio' option on the Oppo remote when using it. Plug those RCA cords into the CD input on the Rotel and use it only for music listening. With Multi, adjusts will have to be done via the Oppo menus I believe. First adjust the Rotel outputs using an SPL meter for all channels for music. Then, adjust the Oppo multi inputs using a SPL meter for the movies and multi channel sound. Have fun and enjoy the sound. I'll be great!!

Also very important. Make sure via the Rotel's menus tto indicate the distance that each speaker is from the listening position. This is very important for proper multi channel sound presentation.
      Thanks... I guess that means I can go budget on my multi-channel connections and stick with the BlueJeans LC-1 Cables I just ordered and then splurge a little for the dedicated stereo output and get Audioquest Diamond Back's or the Black Mamba 2's.... hmmm

I thought the only adjustment I have then on the Rotel is speaker level adjustment... all else such as distance and tone being done on the Oppo for all connections?

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by wildpanda86
        I thought the only adjustment I have then on the Rotel is speaker level adjustment... all else such as distance and tone being done on the Oppo for all connections?
        If you're hooking up the Oppo with multi-channel analog, you will do all of the audio setup (speaker size, distance, and trim level) in the Oppo. The Rotel will just act as a direct pass-through (Multi Input), bypassing any digital processing.
        Brad

Comment

• wildpanda86
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Blindamood
          If you're hooking up the Oppo with multi-channel analog, you will do all of the audio setup (speaker size, distance, and trim level) in the Oppo. The Rotel will just act as a direct pass-through (Multi Input), bypassing any digital processing.
          thanks, that's good to know... so all of that is automatically bypassed in my Rotel... so there are no advanced settings I need to reset... just set audio to multi channel analogue input and setup another seperate input for 2 channel stereo :T

Comment

• wildpanda86
            • Jul 2009

BTW... any advise on the cables?

Should I stick with the Blue Jeans LC-1's for both the 5.1 multi channel analogues as well as for the 2 channel stereo?

Or maybe since buying cables for the 2 channel stereo is much cheaper... should I go with audioquest Black Mamba 2's? or is that just a bunch of snake oil?

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

A polite FYI.

This site is owned and run by the manufacturer of Cat Cables.
              Therefore, specific references to the performance of cable brands and specific recommendations on brands & models are considered “out of bounds”. General discussions about cables are fair game.

With that being said, I have heard, compared & owned many cables throughout the years. I now use CatCables because, and for no other reason than that for the price, I have yet to find a better value that will deliver the same level of performance.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not you ‘believe’ cables can make an audible difference.
              And Please, let us not start that debate for the upteen-millionth time :W
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

This is entirely incorrect. you need to set up the Rotel first ( SPL leveling and distances to listener for each speaker). Why??. Because you will invariably have other gear hooked up to it, not to mention the tuner. All other inputs other than the multi inputs will be controlled and governed by the Rotel, including the Pure stereo input from the Oppo into the CD input of the Rotel. Do both setups and do them correctly and you'll get vastly better results.

On another note, once set up and adjusted, try Rotel's 5 channel stereo mode when your playing the Oppo in Pure stereo mode. I find that setting quite pleasing when properly set up. :T

Comment

• Blindamood
                  • Sep 2003

This is entirely incorrect. you need to set up the Rotel first ( SPL leveling and distances to listener for each speaker). Why??. Because you will invariably have other gear hooked up to it, not to mention the tuner. All other inputs other than the multi inputs will be controlled and governed by the Rotel, including the Pure stereo input from the Oppo into the CD input of the Rotel. Do both setups and do them correctly and you'll get vastly better results.

On another note, once set up and adjusted, try Rotel's 5 channel stereo mode when your playing the Oppo in Pure stereo mode. I find that setting quite pleasing when properly set up. :T
                  I was referring specifically to the Oppo multi-channel feed only. So, what I said as *entirely correct*, thanks. However, yes, there are any number of other inputs that could be controlled by the Rotel's audio settings.
                  Brad

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

I was referring specifically to the Oppo multi-channel feed only. So, what I said as *entirely correct*, thanks. However, yes, there are any number of other inputs that could be controlled by the Rotel's audio settings.

Everything other than the multi inputs will be digitally controlled by the Rotel and it's own settings which is why they must be properly done. :W

Comment

• wildpanda86
                      • Jul 2009

Well I've already set and calibrated everything for all my other inputs so as soon as I install the Oppo I'll break out the SPL meter and recalibrate if I have to

Would've done this today, but the interconnects I ordered where too short a run so I'm waiting for the new IC's

Comment

• ldgibson76
                        • Aug 2011

Original Post converted to "New Thread"

"RSX 1550 vs RSP-1570 for Pre Pro duties."
                        Last edited by ldgibson76; 29 August 2012, 10:35 Wednesday.
                        Regards,

ldgibson76
                        My Setup
                        The 2 Channel Within
                        "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
                        -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                        -Douglas Adams

Comment

• stuofsci02
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

Everything other than the multi inputs will be digitally controlled by the Rotel and it's own settings which is why they must be properly done. :W
                          I think it was fairly obvious that he was referencing the Oppo connection.

There is no need to nit pick as it creates confusion especially when you say things like "This is entirely incorrect" when it is entirely correct albeit without stating the obvious..
                          Main System:
                          B&W 801D
                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                          Oppo BDP-105
                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                          B&W CM7
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Emotiva UPA-2
                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                            I think it was fairly obvious that he was referencing the Oppo connection.

There is no need to nit pick as it creates confusion especially when you say things like "This is entirely incorrect" when it is entirely correct albeit without stating the obvious..

Truth be told that the dude was being led to believe that all he had to do was adjust via the Oppo and that is not correct. Period!. I just wanted to guide him and clarify that. :W

Comment

• stuofsci02
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009

Truth be told that the dude was being led to believe that all he had to do was adjust via the Oppo and that is not correct. Period!. I just wanted to guide him and clarify that. :W
                              You need to go re-read the thread.... :roll:
                              Main System:
                              B&W 801D
                              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                              Oppo BDP-105
                              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                              B&W CM7
                              Emotiva UMC-1
                              Emotiva UPA-2
                              Oppo BDP-83SE
                              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wildpanda86
                                • Jul 2009

Finally got everything wired in... It was late at night so I didn't break out the sound meter, but instead set up the distance and speaker levels to same as on the Rotel's original settings.

One thing I notice however is that in the Rotel's setup menu it won't let me setup up/ access speaker levels which was expected, but it is still let me access speaker distance... Would it be bad to have speaker distance setup on both the Rotel and the Oppo? Isn't that like double processing or something? I'll double check again tonight when I get home.

Btw... This BluRay player brings out so much detail and color with Avatar that on my Pioneer 9th gen Kuro it looked like 3D... It just popped and felt very immersive. The sound using the analogue connections made the scenes feel very large and expansive, positively different from what HDMI sounded like on my older Pioneer BDP-51fd

Onto 2 channel stereo using the dedicated stereo outs... Just sounded like gravy to my ears... More focused, precise, and 3 dementional compared to the same tracks coming over optical cable from my Apple TV.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Yes.. Don't use the speaker distance in the Rotel. I am not sure why it would allow you to do this. That means that the Rotel would have to redigitize the analog inputs.. There is most of the benefit of the Oppo gone..
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Again all, the speaker levels and distances should be done both on the Rotel and via the Oppo when used in multi mode on the Rotel. The Rotel settings are ignored in Multi mode so It does not matter if you have them set up or not. You WANT them set up via the Rotel for all other inputs including CD, tuner etc.

BTW....the speaker levels can be adjusted on the Rotel via 'Test tone' setting in the on screen display. Calibrate both the levels of all speakers and the distance to listening position. This is very important for everything other than the 'Multi input' mode. This is especially important because you will be using the Oppo's analog 2ch pure stereo outs to the Rotel for CD listening.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"