X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Rotel vs. Classé

Hello everyone! I currently have a rotel set up (RB-1080 RCD-1072 RC-1082) with the B&W 683's. I was wondering how much of an increase i would get with some classé gear? I was thinking the cheapest i could get from classé would be the CAP-2100 & CDP-102. I like loud music sometimes 100dB+. Is the 100 watt CAP2100 enough? I know 100 watts from classé is COMPLETLY different then rotel watts. What could i look forward to with this upgrade?

Also if i were to only buy one of the two classé which should be first? the CAP-2100 or the CDP-102?

Thanks
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I don't know how "completely different" Classe watts are from Rotel watts , but the amperage the RB1080 delivers will probably stomp 100 watts from just about anything else. At 100 + db that Rotel will positively rip. To get better than top shelf Rotel you'll have to get better than entry level Classe , at your stated volume preference. IMO
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

If I were to choose between the amp and the cd player, I would probably upgrade the amp first. I am not sure about how much performance you can get with Classe over Rotel. However, with the amp, whatever improvements you get, you get to enjoy it with your other source components as well.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Your speakers are running extremely well off the Rotel amp. I suggest looking elsewhere in your system for upgrades.

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Dmantis
          Your speakers are running extremely well off the Rotel amp.
          why do you say this?
          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Ferres
            • Jan 2007

Stick with your current set-up. :T

Comment

• Mig17
              • Jan 2008

Your speakers are running extremely well off the Rotel amp. I suggest looking elsewhere in your system for upgrades.
              Correct!

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

what about a Krell S-300i
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

its a night and day difference. I started with Rotel, and have a rotel 1085 I tried to sell and noone seems to want to buy.

but then again, ignorance is bliss.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

As good as the RC-1082 and RB-1080 are the CAP-2100 is a pretty big step up sonically. Since the difference in volume would only be 3dB between 200 watts and 100 watts, I don't think you will sacrifice anything in overall volume. If anything you will probably listen at a higher volume without knowing it because the Classe is easier to listen to. I'm not at all bashing Rotel, I'm a Rotel owner myself, but the Classe is much better.

As for what to do first, that is a tough call. I think you will hear a bigger improvements at first with the amplification upgrade. That said, the CD player would add a lot in terms of inner detail and micro dynamics. I guess it would come down to what you think you could get the best deal on at the time.

You asked about the Krell S-300i but I don't have any experience with that piece. I know the KAV-400ix and it's a very different sound than the Classe in my opinion. For me the Krell was not a good match with B&W while others really like it. You would need to listen to them both, if possible, and decide for yourself.

Eric

Comment

• rantzmar
                      • May 2009

I've heard that the Krell integrated amps reveal a little more through the processing. The amps alone are suppose to be some very good performers as well. But If you have the 1080, I don't now if the price per performance is worth the extra loot you would pay for the Krell. If I where you, I would look to tweaking your gear first until you get the sound that warms your heart. I've been experimenting with DAC's. Right now I have a budget DAC on lone to see if I like it. What I have discovered is that while this DAC (Cambridge DAC Magic) gives a slightly warmer tone compared to the DACS in the Rotel, I may have to go with a more expensive DAC. THE D-Magic is not a bad DAC, but if I want better performance I may have to move up to the PS audio or the BenchMarks. Another thing I have discovered...The DAC's in the Rotels are not bad at all. While the D-Magic gives a slightly warmer tone, its not as revealing as the Rotels DAC. I get greater seperation with the Rotel, but a softer and warmer tone with the D-Magic.

Rotel is not bad gear for the price its offered at. Its very possible to get very good performance from Rotel with a little tweaking. I have a very simple set up and it performs very well for me. I have the transparency...seperation and warmth and tone I am wanting. The only thing I want right now is to see if a more expensive DAC or CDP will offer a better synergy to my soul than whats already there. My two channel room is 18x14x8. I don't play extremely loud music and its mostly Classical, Jazz, New Age and Blues. A few more sound room treatments and I am done until I am ready to move up to another level. And that wont be until I can get Marantz mono blocks at $7 grand each and the Canton Reference 1.2 DC speakers at $30 grand a pair. So It will be a while until then.
                      Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rantzmar
                        I've heard that the Krell integrated amps reveal a little more through the processing. The amps alone are suppose to be some very good performers as well. But If you have the 1080, I don't now if the price per performance is worth the extra loot you would pay for the Krell. If I where you, I would look to tweaking your gear first until you get the sound that warms your heart. I've been experimenting with DAC's. Right now I have a budget DAC on lone to see if I like it. What I have discovered is that while this DAC (Cambridge DAC Magic) gives a slightly warmer tone compared to the DACS in the Rotel, I may have to go with a more expensive DAC. THE D-Magic is not a bad DAC, but if I want better performance I may have to move up to the PS audio or the BenchMarks. Another thing I have discovered...The DAC's in the Rotels are not bad at all. While the D-Magic gives a slightly warmer tone, its not as revealing as the Rotels DAC. I get greater seperation with the Rotel, but a softer and warmer tone with the D-Magic.

Rotel is not bad gear for the price its offered at. Its very possible to get very good performance from Rotel with a little tweaking. I have a very simple set up and it performs very well for me. I have the transparency...seperation and warmth and tone I am wanting. The only thing I want right now is to see if a more expensive DAC or CDP will offer a better synergy to my soul than whats already there. My two channel room is 18x14x8. I don't play extremely loud music and its mostly Classical, Jazz, New Age and Blues. A few more sound room treatments and I am done until I am ready to move up to another level. And that wont be until I can get Marantz mono blocks at $7 grand each and the Canton Reference 1.2 DC speakers at $30 grand a pair. So It will be a while until then.
                        I've heard that cars that cost more than $10k offer something thats cars under $10k do as well. but they are both cars, right? so why would anyone spend more than $10k on a car? I've also heard that cell phones that can do more than call someone are in higher demand than ones that only call people.

Comment

• btf1980
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          I've heard that cars that cost more than $10k offer something thats cars under $10k do as well. but they are both cars, right? so why would anyone spend more than $10k on a car? I've also heard that cell phones that can do more than call someone are in higher demand than ones that only call people.
                          This literally made me laugh out loud. :B
                          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• rantzmar
                            • May 2009

There are a number of reasons why people spend money on expensive things. I am a Marantz lover...always have and always will be. These are solid state mono blocks that have that classic Marantz warm tube sound that I love and they are just stunning in beauty. And the Cantons Reference are just stunning in beauty as well and are great performers. You bess believe I wont pay retail price for them...I've never paid retail for any audio gear I own...but nonethe less it still will be expensive...my wife will probably put me out. :E

Go take a look.

Canton Lautsprecher verbinden innovative Technologien, höchste Qualität und eine außergewöhnlich breite Designvielfalt zu einzigartigen Klangerlebnis…

Two Channel Room

Vincent SA-T1/Telefunken/Golden Lion tubes~Rotel RB 1080~ Musical Fidelity XRAYv8/XXXpsu~MMF-.7.1~2M Black-Grado Phono 1 Analysis Plus Phono Cable~Canton 830.2~ Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire.

Comment

• Dmantis
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BWLover
                              why do you say this?
                              I don't think your speakers will benefit from going with Classe gear. The amount of money it takes to get into there gear vs your speakers cost , I feel better speakers would be a better choice. Rotel gear you own is a perfect if not in someone's opinion could be considered even overkill. If you owned lets say N803's then maybe it's time to try some Classe.

I look at it from a system perspective . Matching is key. I'm not saying your speakers are low end or anything like that, I actually like them a lot. I have Installed B&W speakers up and down there lines and even the LM series is amazing. But what I found with the 6 series is they don't require a monster amount of power unlike the N series or the newer 800 series.

My question is what increase are you looking for? What does your system do that your not happy with?

Comment

• rantzmar
                                • May 2009

My question is what increase are you looking for? What does your system do that your not happy with?
                                Good question....
                                Two Channel Room

Comment

• BWLover
                                  • Jan 2009

What I'm looking for is less distortion at higher volumes. I don't listen to 100dB+ very often. I'd like the highs to be clearer, and better imaging. Better separation. Its not that I am not "happy" with my system, I've just got the "itch" to upgrade. I haven't listened to a consumer grade system in a long time so i think I'm just getting used to this sound and think its not as good as it is. I probably wont have any money to upgrade for 6 months. But I want my decision to be rock solid when I do make a big purchase. What about getting a pair of 804s or 803s, and keep my current gear?
                                  Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                  Playstation 3
                                  Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

What I'm looking for is less distortion at higher volumes. I don't listen to 100dB+ very often. I'd like the highs to be clearer, and better imaging. Better separation. Its not that I am not "happy" with my system, I've just got the "itch" to upgrade. I haven't listened to a consumer grade system in a long time so i think I'm just getting used to this sound and think its not as good as it is. I probably wont have any money to upgrade for 6 months. But I want my decision to be rock solid when I do make a big purchase. What about getting a pair of 804s or 803s, and keep my current gear?
                                    There are two ways to approach an upgrade if you can't do it all at once. either upgrade the speakers first, or upgrade the electronics first. neither is wrong. I suggest you track down nolan (vancouver) for his advice. he has less than 800 series b&w's with classe electronics and can probably give you his first hand opinion.

Comment

• Industrial
                                      • Mar 2009

Ever think of just adding a nice new DAC to your system? I have a 15 series rotel Pre/Pro and AMP and noticed quite a bit of improvement sound wise running my source into a Benchmark DAC1. It really helped "me" enjoy the highs (etc cymbals etc) more. If you see my thread on Rotel+Benchmark. I got to try benchmark DAC1 vs a Research audio CD player ($7,500CAD) and found them to sound a lot alike.

Comment

• mjb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

If you're looking for less distortion at higher volumes, you should probably audition a RB-1572 (or similar) and see how you like Rotels (B&O's) Class D amplifiers. The modules used in the 15 series sound much better than those in the 10 series, and they will happily run all day at very high output. You'll even save some electricity!
                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Nolan B
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2005

There are two ways to approach an upgrade if you can't do it all at once. either upgrade the speakers first, or upgrade the electronics first. neither is wrong. I suggest you track down nolan (vancouver) for his advice. he has less than 800 series b&w's with classe electronics and can probably give you his first hand opinion.

I agree that neither way is wrong by going with speakers or electronics first. I will say however that I disagree with those that feel a difference will not be noticeable or only slight going from Rotel to Classe using less then 800 series speakers.

I noticed a huge difference dropping my Rotel 1069 and RMB 1077 for a classe SSP 600 and 5100. Absolutely everything improved and to date it has been my most favorite upgrade in this hobby. You know an upgrade went well if you are compelled to replay all your movies and music in order to hear things you never did in the past.

Yes I am saving and waiting to discover which speakers to upgrade to, but in the mean time my FPMs loved the change.

I have become a believer that the source is just as important as speakers. Plus the Classe will be a bigger upgrade in the looks department. Although funny enough my wife prefers the look of Rotel (the 10 series) to the Classe.

Comment

• BWLover
                                            • Jan 2009

Thanks. I'll track him down.

Originally posted by Industrial
                                            Ever think of just adding a nice new DAC to your system? I have a 15 series rotel Pre/Pro and AMP and noticed quite a bit of improvement sound wise running my source into a Benchmark DAC1. It really helped "me" enjoy the highs (etc cymbals etc) more. If you see my thread on Rotel+Benchmark. I got to try benchmark DAC1 vs a Research audio CD player ($7,500CAD) and found them to sound a lot alike.
                                            Interesting. How does a person use an external DAC? On the Rotel CD player do you use the digital output to bypass the internal DAC? What kind of speakers do you have?

Originally posted by mjb
                                            If you're looking for less distortion at higher volumes, you should probably audition a RB-1572 (or similar) and see how you like Rotels (B&O's) Class D amplifiers. The modules used in the 15 series sound much better than those in the 10 series, and they will happily run all day at very high output. You'll even save some electricity!
                                            I thought about getting into the class D stuff. But It seems like more of the traditional "audiophiles" still say class a & a/b is the way to go. What are the limitations of class D?

Originally posted by Nolan B
                                            I agree that neither way is wrong by going with speakers or electronics first. I will say however that I disagree with those that feel a difference will not be noticeable or only slight going from Rotel to Classe using less then 800 series speakers.

I noticed a huge difference dropping my Rotel 1069 and RMB 1077 for a classe SSP 600 and 5100. Absolutely everything improved and to date it has been my most favorite upgrade in this hobby. You know an upgrade went well if you are compelled to replay all your movies and music in order to hear things you never did in the past.

Yes I am saving and waiting to discover which speakers to upgrade to, but in the mean time my FPMs loved the change.

I have become a believer that the source is just as important as speakers. Plus the Classe will be a bigger upgrade in the looks department. Although funny enough my wife prefers the look of Rotel (the 10 series) to the Classe.
                                            Yes I too love the classé looks. There gorgeous. I prefer the 10 series look over the 15 series, but not classé.

Also in another thread someone mentioned the possibility of the aluminum tweeter speakers in the 800 series being moved down to 700's and diamond tweeters in the 800's. If B&W does do this do you think that would bring the cost down on the 805s/804s/803s?
                                            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                            Playstation 3
                                            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Industrial
                                              • Mar 2009

Interesting. How does a person use an external DAC? On the Rotel CD player do you use the digital output to bypass the internal DAC? What kind of speakers do you have?
                                              Just put the digital out from the CDP into the dac and the RCA out from the DAC and it will bypass the internal DACs. I use B&W CM1's with a 10'' Mirage Sub.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                • Jan 2009

Ok. So now I'm thinking either upgrade my cables with two pair of interconnects for cd>pre>amp, speaker cable, and a good power cord for my conditioner.

Or upgrade with a new DAC. I'd probably spend about the same amount on either. $1000-$1500
                                                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                Playstation 3
                                                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

Thanks. I'll track him down.
                                                  No need... posted already

Just changed my name from Vancouver to Nolan B

Also in another thread someone mentioned the possibility of the aluminum tweeter speakers in the 800 series being moved down to 700's and diamond tweeters in the 800's. If B&W does do this do you think that would bring the cost down on the 805s/804s/803s?
                                                  I cant see this happening considering the 700 series is being discontinued all together.

Go with getting Classe that way no matter which speakers you buy going forward you know they will sound their absolute best.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                    • Jan 2009

Ok. So now I'm thinking either upgrade my cables with two pair of interconnects for cd>pre>amp, speaker cable, and a good power cord for my conditioner.

Or upgrade with a new DAC. I'd probably spend about the same amount on either. $1000-$1500
                                                    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                    Playstation 3
                                                    Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Sep 2005

Dont wast your money on the power cord and speaker cables there will be no difference.

Go with the DAC if you want an upgrade you will actually hear

Comment

• rantzmar
                                                        • May 2009

Yes get the DAC. The benchmarks are [IMG]PS audio are two very good ones. I used a Cambridge DAC and did not notice to much of an improvement...going for the PS audio which can be had at clearance prices due to a new model coming out.
                                                        Two Channel Room

Comment

• Dmantis
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nolan B
                                                          Dont wast your money on the power cord and speaker cables there will be no difference.

Go with the DAC if you want an upgrade you will actually hear
                                                          There is so much debate on this topic. Only a small few really feel compassionate about cables/powercord/IC's etc. But I will say this make sure you have high quality in all areas. You don't want to use cables that can't do there job.

DAC's are also in question when comparing high quality to high quality. Sometimes the internal DAC's sound better then high priced external DAC's. I have done many test by just ear no testing equipment and really didn't experience much difference. Subtle things here and there but not enough to warrant spending hundreds of dollars. Again it's value in the person listening and spending the cash.

Listening at high levels 100db+ will shorten you listening life. Your ears will scar and high's will mute after time. So I suggest turning it down just a bit and think about what you actually want.

Clarity gets lost in a room that can't support high SPL. So after reading this thread post after post , I suggest no system upgrades yet and think about treating your room. Find the problem spots and correct them. Especially 1st reflection points. That alone will improve clarity at high volumes.

Search the net for some cool sites on room treatments. I'm sure there are some really good threads in here on this topic.

So lets go over just a few things that can improve on your current system.

Placement- make sure your speaker placement is as close to ideal as possible.
                                                          Quality cables- you want high quality cables. There is a point where no benefit is gained by going with "the better cable" if the ones you are using can perform there job. Proper gauge and quality are key. Proper resistance and ohm load is key. After that you can't make it better.
                                                          Room treatments- find all the problems and address them if you can. This will shock you on your overall performance of your current system.

You have a excellent system man. Going with better speakers would be my first thing I would change. B&W might not even be the right speaker for you. Get out there and listen to everything. Experience your music at the SPL you like and find those bad boys. You might find your system is right for you. Who knows.

I wish you luck and on a side note how about some pic's of your room and system. I'd like to see if there is anything causing problems you may not be aware of.

mantis

Comment

• BWLover
                                                            • Jan 2009

error
                                                            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                            Playstation 3
                                                            Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• BWLover
                                                              • Jan 2009

There is so much debate on this topic. Only a small few really feel compassionate about cables/powercord/IC's etc. But I will say this make sure you have high quality in all areas. You don't want to use cables that can't do there job.

DAC's are also in question when comparing high quality to high quality. Sometimes the internal DAC's sound better then high priced external DAC's. I have done many test by just ear no testing equipment and really didn't experience much difference. Subtle things here and there but not enough to warrant spending hundreds of dollars. Again it's value in the person listening and spending the cash.

Listening at high levels 100db+ will shorten you listening life. Your ears will scar and high's will mute after time. So I suggest turning it down just a bit and think about what you actually want.

Clarity gets lost in a room that can't support high SPL. So after reading this thread post after post , I suggest no system upgrades yet and think about treating your room. Find the problem spots and correct them. Especially 1st reflection points. That alone will improve clarity at high volumes.

Search the net for some cool sites on room treatments. I'm sure there are some really good threads in here on this topic.

So lets go over just a few things that can improve on your current system.

Placement- make sure your speaker placement is as close to ideal as possible.
                                                              Quality cables- you want high quality cables. There is a point where no benefit is gained by going with "the better cable" if the ones you are using can perform there job. Proper gauge and quality are key. Proper resistance and ohm load is key. After that you can't make it better.
                                                              Room treatments- find all the problems and address them if you can. This will shock you on your overall performance of your current system.

You have a excellent system man. Going with better speakers would be my first thing I would change. B&W might not even be the right speaker for you. Get out there and listen to everything. Experience your music at the SPL you like and find those bad boys. You might find your system is right for you. Who knows.

I wish you luck and on a side note how about some pic's of your room and system. I'd like to see if there is anything causing problems you may not be aware of.

mantis
                                                              Right now my room is not what it usually is because i am moving into an apartment in Vancouver. I think being in an apartment will keep my listening volumes down. But like I said earlier I don't often have the volume that high. But this is true that volumes that high are not good for my ears. As for acoustic treatment, I have lots of that. Ive taken care of my first reflection points, also the ceiling as well. And yes it made a HUGE difference on the sound. My biggest problem is the system is in a basement. I think the concrete floor has a negative effect on lower freq. I know B&W is my speaker, it always will be. Everything I don't like about my 683's was corrected when I listened to the 804S's at my dealer. And I also like Classé with the 800 series. My dealer has the 800D on a huge Krell amp in one room. I didn't really like the Krell. In another room the 804S's on CA-M400's (also Ive herd the 803D's in there to) with a Classé pre&cd. I find that Rotel is bright, and Classé is smooth in the higher freq. Also the 804S's are just unbelievable ;x( I think that my speaker upgrade would be the 803S's(vs 804S) because I like a good amount of bass. But correct bass. The 803D are out of my price range. Another problem I have is that I know there is better out there so I just automatically want it The picture below off B&W website suggests that this could be a good system. B&W 803S, Classé CAP-2100 & Classé CDP-102. And the 800 series is SOOOOO sexy :T

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                              Playstation 3
                                                              Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• sunshdw
                                                                • Sep 2008

Well I too am getting the upgrade bug. I'm REALLY eyeballin the 803s but at this point I can't justify the money to do so. Actually I can , but the wife would crap if I brought those home. So at this point I'm going to add the V-DAC from Musical Fidelity and mess with the 683s boxes. Once that's achieved I'll tear into room treatments.

In other words I think you can do some other things to "help" change your systems sound other than throw money at upgrade you may not need or like.

Something else to keep in mind is listen to the music and not the system. :T
                                                                Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• rantzmar
                                                                  • May 2009

What are you going to add the v-dac too? If you are going to add it to your home CDP I doubt if you will hear any improvement over what you have. The V-dac is a budget dac better used for computers used as music servers. Chances are if you have a CDP, it has better dacs.
                                                                  Two Channel Room

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

you might want to look at it like this...

if you go for an 800 series speaker, your rotel will sound OK but you will need to upgrade.

If you upgrade to Classe (or any other brand), your current speakers will sound the best they possibly can, and the electronics you buy will work great with any future speaker you upgrade into.

of the two, I'd take the second option. I took the first method before, and while it was fine, I'd prefer to know I'm always getting the best I can. You might not be in as big a hurry to upgrade your speakers if you get the electronics, but if you get the speakers, you'll need to upgrade the electronics pretty quick, or you aren't really taking advantage of them. yes, there will be a difference, BUT, your speakers will not demonstrate their true prowess.

Comment

• BWLover
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by sunshdw
                                                                      Well I too am getting the upgrade bug. I'm REALLY eyeballin the 803s but at this point I can't justify the money to do so. Actually I can , but the wife would crap if I brought those home. So at this point I'm going to add the V-DAC from Musical Fidelity and mess with the 683s boxes. Once that's achieved I'll tear into room treatments.

In other words I think you can do some other things to "help" change your systems sound other than throw money at upgrade you may not need or like.

Something else to keep in mind is listen to the music and not the system. :T
                                                                      Yes I do have that problem of not listening to the music and paying more attention to the system, sometimes. Lately I've been playing around a lot with my stereo and my acoustic stuff. Its fun. I did notice an improvement when i changed out the interconnects (cd>pre>amp) with some good quality (on loan) cables. There about $300-$400 each. And also I went from BI-wire to BI-cable with just some normal speaker wire. So after those two change outs I noticed a big enough difference that I now believe cables do make a difference. So they might be the next upgrade.

What are you going to add the v-dac too? If you are going to add it to your home CDP I doubt if you will hear any improvement over what you have. The V-dac is a budget dac better used for computers used as music servers. Chances are if you have a CDP, it has better dacs.
                                                                      I dont think I'm going to get a DAC. I don't like the looks of them. I'm very big on looks. And that means another set of cables.

you might want to look at it like this...

if you go for an 800 series speaker, your rotel will sound OK but you will need to upgrade.

If you upgrade to Classe (or any other brand), your current speakers will sound the best they possibly can, and the electronics you buy will work great with any future speaker you upgrade into.

of the two, I'd take the second option. I took the first method before, and while it was fine, I'd prefer to know I'm always getting the best I can. You might not be in as big a hurry to upgrade your speakers if you get the electronics, but if you get the speakers, you'll need to upgrade the electronics pretty quick, or you aren't really taking advantage of them. yes, there will be a difference, BUT, your speakers will not demonstrate their true prowess.
                                                                      VERY good point. It does make more sense to get the classé gear before the 803s. Its the looks of the speaker that suck me into them. But I did notice an improvement in all the upgrades I've made with Rotel gear. I started with just a RSX-1058, then got the RB-1080, Then got the RC-1082 and boxed the RSX-1058. Each time I upgraded I heard how much better the 683's could be. Maybe I can demo a classé CAP-2100 in the Future. Also I'd be buying used classé. Opinions on used?
                                                                      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                                      Playstation 3
                                                                      Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Ferres
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2007

I did notice an improvement when i changed out the interconnects (cd>pre>amp) with some good quality (on loan) cables. There about $300-$400 each.
                                                                        Make sure to demo as many brands as you can. I'm sure you will find similar if not better performing cables at far lower prices. With cables, price is not an indicator of performance.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

VERY good point. It does make more sense to get the classé gear before the 803s. Its the looks of the speaker that suck me into them. But I did notice an improvement in all the upgrades I've made with Rotel gear. I started with just a RSX-1058, then got the RB-1080, Then got the RC-1082 and boxed the RSX-1058. Each time I upgraded I heard how much better the 683's could be. Maybe I can demo a classé CAP-2100 in the Future. Also I'd be buying used classé. Opinions on used?
                                                                          I believe the warranties are transferrable. I bought my CA-5100 on audiogon almost a year ago and the only problem I've had with it is the need to replace a fuse.

Comment

• sunshdw
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Sep 2008
                                                                            • 92

It will be hooked to an RCD1072. I may or may not hear a difference but our rep is going to let me borrow one on demo to see if I like it. Yes it works well for computors but we've sold a couple to guys with B&W/Rotel(older) gear and they've loved what it did. On paper the VDAC should improve the sound with a higher bit and sampling rates. :T

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• rantzmar
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • May 2009
                                                                              • 98

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by sunshdw
                                                                              It will be hooked to an RCD1072. I may or may not hear a difference but our rep is going to let me borrow one on demo to see if I like it. Yes it works well for computors but we've sold a couple to guys with B&W/Rotel(older) gear and they've loved what it did. On paper the VDAC should improve the sound with a higher bit and sampling rates. :T

Good luck with the V-Dac...let us know.
                                                                              Two Channel Room

Comment

• rantzmar
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • May 2009
                                                                                • 98

#40
                                                                                I believe the warranties are transferrable. I bought my CA-5100 on audiogon almost a year ago and the only problem I've had with it is the need to replace a fuse.
                                                                                I tell you what....I've never given Classe a second look until BWLover mentioned it in his postings. Man, I've did a little research....Some nice stuff. In the ball park with Krell and the likes. Just cant believe I dont hear much about Classe. Is it the price? I would not mind have some Classe in my own home.
                                                                                Two Channel Room

Comment

• sunshdw
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2008
                                                                                  • 92

#41
                                                                                  I tell you what....I've never given Classe a second look until BWLover mentioned it in his postings. Man, I've did a little research....Some nice stuff. In the ball park with Krell and the likes. Just cant believe I dont hear much about Classe. Is it the price? I would not mind have some Classe in my own home.
                                                                                  Classe' is very nice stuff!! Our main demo room is all Classe and 800 series B&W. I don't think it has the over all sheer power as krell but IMHO I like the sound of it better.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 2299

#42
                                                                                    heh... my dealer loaned me a krell showcase while I was waiting for my ssp-800 to come in. My wife absolutely hated it and almost demanded that I go without over the krell. the classe makes her happy. she thinks the krell sounds too "tinnie".

Comment

• Nuthed
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2007
                                                                                      • 151

#43
                                                                                      Are you wanting to replace your 1080 because you dropped it? http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=34424
                                                                                      Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                                                                                      RB980-BX driving mains
                                                                                      Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                                                                      Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                                                                                      Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                                                                                      SVS PB-12

Comment

• BWLover
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2009
                                                                                        • 552

#44
                                                                                        No the 1080's fine. Thats why i created that thread. Was because it survived. I just want something better.
                                                                                        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                                                                        Playstation 3
                                                                                        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• rantzmar
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • May 2009
                                                                                          • 98

#45
                                                                                          No the 1080's fine. Thats why i created that thread. Was because it survived. I just want something better.
                                                                                          When you get it, I will be very interested in what you think about it compared to the 1080.
                                                                                          Two Channel Room

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"